BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2021, 08:10 PM   #45
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

My local trusted tire guy tells me the Michelin oem replacement pss tire is in extremely low stock...

Does this mean Michelin will replace the stock size with the ps4s successor?

I googled if the 245/35/19 and 265/35/19 tires would be released this year as star rated but came up empty handed.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 10:55 PM   #46
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
My local trusted tire guy tells me the Michelin oem replacement pss tire is in extremely low stock...

Does this mean Michelin will replace the stock size with the ps4s successor?

I googled if the 245/35/19 and 265/35/19 tires would be released this year as star rated but came up empty handed.
yes the PSS is going away, just like it replaced the PS2, the PS4 will replace the PSS. I would get the PS4 unless they have a clearance sale. They are very close.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 11:07 PM   #47
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Refreshing this thread. Due to the covid lock downs and general lack of daily trips I did not need to change my tires this year.

Still looking to replace with ps4s

Looking for those who have made the switch to chime in with their review, specifically how does the car handle at the limit?

Seems well established these are excellent daily tires.

Would like to know how the understeer feel is, if any ? Do they pro,it more understeer than the ps2?
Rapter, I had the 1M brand new with PS2 and the turn in was super crisp on them and felt great but I was new to the car. I then went to the PSS and there was an improvement in traction over the PS2s by using the scientific blinking traction control light method. I have not run the PS4, I will be soon but I can tell that now that my PSS are 6 years old, they are not as sticky as they used to be. Tires degrade over the years and harden especially if they sit a lot like mine. I saw someone on here post that the PS4 was double the traction of the PS2. By the time they replaced their PS2s they were degraded and this makes sense but if you would've compared a brand new PS2 with a PS4 the difference would be 10% not 100%. There is a video out there of a magazine that tested brand new PSS vs PS4 back to back and they found that the PS4 was all around better, wet, overall traction etc. However they did say that at the extreme limit, they found the PSS to be a little crisper but they only way they noticed was because they did back to back track test. If they hadn't done back to back they wouldn't notice a significant difference. I don't believe the difference will be significant enough to significantly affect understeer etc. I am planning on going with 255/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear next and a little more rubber in the front might have a greater impact than just the tire model. Anyway, this is a cool thread and look forward to all the info on it. I hope this helps in some way.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 11:24 PM   #48
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
These are the sizes I use for PS4s and they look perfect in the wheels to me.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      03-18-2021, 06:14 AM   #49
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
You are referring to:

255/35/19 front and 275/35/19

How was the street handling compared to stock?
Any rubbing in the front fenders - I hear that this was an issue.

Maybe the larger tire size is a good option to pursue and if I am not happy return them under customer satisfaction 30-60 days and get the pss tires instead...?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 06:25 AM   #50
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Rapter, I had the 1M brand new with PS2 and the turn in was super crisp on them and felt great but I was new to the car. I then went to the PSS and there was an improvement in traction over the PS2s by using the scientific blinking traction control light method. I have not run the PS4, I will be soon but I can tell that now that my PSS are 6 years old, they are not as sticky as they used to be. Tires degrade over the years and harden especially if they sit a lot like mine. I saw someone on here post that the PS4 was double the traction of the PS2. By the time they replaced their PS2s they were degraded and this makes sense but if you would've compared a brand new PS2 with a PS4 the difference would be 10% not 100%. There is a video out there of a magazine that tested brand new PSS vs PS4 back to back and they found that the PS4 was all around better, wet, overall traction etc. However they did say that at the extreme limit, they found the PSS to be a little crisper but they only way they noticed was because they did back to back track test. If they hadn't done back to back they wouldn't notice a significant difference. I don't believe the difference will be significant enough to significantly affect understeer etc. I am planning on going with 255/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear next and a little more rubber in the front might have a greater impact than just the tire model. Anyway, this is a cool thread and look forward to all the info on it. I hope this helps in some way.

I think that you are referring to this excellent post:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1321620

My issue has always been that since I fitted a non-star rated PSS tire to the car I was alerted to the fact that the PS2 tire was a stiffer sidewall than the non-pss tire... on the other hand Chris Harris drove on the PSS tires for many years with his 1m and he did not mention boo (although I did not know the tire size at the time).

Since there is no PS2 available, and that technology is so old, I am leaning to get the OEM PSS replacement in a star rated trim to try to maintain the BMW sidewall stiffness as there has been no literature that the ps4s being as stiff in the sidewall as PSS.

Maybe in reality the ps4s is even more stiff or as stiff... I just cannot get the right answer.

I really really wish to preserve the stock handling, which was something that was not there with a NON pss star rated tire but could very well be with the star rated PSS. I am sure that many have driven their cars on the PSS star rated replacement and have been just fine.

...then again many here have driven the ps4s and have reviewed them to be excellent.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 08:51 AM   #51
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You are referring to:

255/35/19 front and 275/35/19

How was the street handling compared to stock?
Any rubbing in the front fenders - I hear that this was an issue.

Maybe the larger tire size is a good option to pursue and if I am not happy return them under customer satisfaction 30-60 days and get the pss tires instead...?
Yes on the sizes. Handling balance is unchanged. I don't think there would be any rubbing with the revised fender liners. I don't have any rubbing, but I also have significant lowering and alignment changes. I run a 10 mm spacer with about 20 mm of lowering and -2.7° of camber and have no rubbing.

Side views:
Attached Images

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
Osiris64.50
      03-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #52
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes on the sizes. Handling balance is unchanged. I don't think there would be any rubbing with the revised fender liners. I don't have any rubbing, but I also have significant lowering and alignment changes. I run a 10 mm spacer with about 20 mm of lowering and -2.7° of camber and have no rubbing.

Side views:
Spectacular stance! Well done sir.

Thank you for sharing the information on the handling... I would probably investigate the wider tire size as an alternative if I don’t proceed with the OEm pss *-rated tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 04:02 PM   #53
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I currently have the Porsche variant of PSS and I have had the no brand one and a pair of Mercedes ones. Unlike the poster that said they could tell a difference I have not been able to notice anything. The only difference I have spotted was between the PS2 and PSS. I guess my butt-o-meter or scientific Traction light method are not sensitive enough. According to Michelin these slight variations are solely so they could meet manufacturer requirements like a wet stop in less than xxx feet or noise at x kmh. If someone knows the difference let us know by all means.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 04:43 PM   #54
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [10.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Quote:

Side views:
This is very helpful. Thank you
Appreciate 0