BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i White/Red

BMS/Phoenix Racing Charge Pipe

Afternoon everyone! I had quite the experience with BMS and their Phoenix racing charge pipe (built to BMS specifications). Thought I would write up a little story and hopefully I can stop 1 person from wasting their time.

DISCLAIMER: I do not want anyone to assume that I am bashing Burger Motorsports in anyway shape or form. I am in love with my Jb4 so far and have not experienced any problems what so ever. They even went out of their way to contact me about a previous shipping refund. Their customer service is superb if you get into contact with the right person. Even the most professional businesses have bad employees. I will continue to order from BMS!

(SKIP TO 4TH PARAGRAPH FOR ISSUE)

(THIS IS FOR PHOENIX RACING MODEL ONLY!! I DID NOT HAVE THE ACTUAL BMS CHARGE PIPE)

About 15 days ago I installed my Jb4 on my 2011 135i (N55) and I absolutely love it. Just casually doing pulls to and from work, no biggie. When all of a sudden my charge pipe blows off at about 5k in 2nd gear connecting to the intercooler piping. Nothing broke, quick fix.

Few days later I do another 2nd gear pull. This time the charge pipes c-clip explodes as well as about half of the pipe that covers the throttle body. Was able to rig it so I can drive to and from work without going into boost. Evidently I ordered an after market charge pipe. After reading through forums and reddit pages I came to the conclusion "its just an aluminum piping, They all work/fit" Went to order BMS charge pipe but they were sold out. I cheaped out and went ahead and ordered the Phoenix racing pipe, it was around $180.

Took about 6 business days for me to receive the product. Got the email/text notification that it was delivered. As soon as I got home from work I unboxed it and waited till morning to do the install. After I removed the old pipe and prepped the new one for install I ran into a HUGE issue. To start, the angle of the pipe makes it impossible to connect to the throttle body without removing it. Once I removed the throttle body, the charge pipe was able to go on. However, it does not hit up against the little lip on the throttle body where it is supposed to sit. With it slightly on the throttle body I was able to attach the c-clip. Now putting the throttle body back onto the intake manifold is impossible. Now stuck with the throttle body off the intake and no way to re-attach it, I went ahead and removed the Power steering resevoir to slightly move it out of the way. The 2 giant hoses I was able to shimmy out of the way and tuck into a gap between the mounting bracket and the strut tower. Still not able to fully equip the charge pipe as it now rubs up against the strut tower pretty heavily. Now because it rubs against the strut tower exactly where the hoses for the resevoir go, it is impossible to install the charge pipe AND the power steering resevoir.

I was emailing back and forth with BMS with a gentleman named Ando. Ando did not like what I had to say, he told me They test fit all charge pipes before they ship out. If that was the case, I wouldn't be writing up this novel. Ando mentioning twice that "that's how its supposed to fit" & "its super rare that it wont fit" seems a little fishy to me. After I had to repeat myself twice, he rudely sent me the return information only to figure out I have to pay a 20% restocking fee & pay for shipping for a part that does not fit my car or any other e82 model out there. Definitely not going to pay that!

After emailing them again this morning, I got into contact with a guy named Terry who said right away that it was a defective charge pipe. He also mentioned they will not be charging me a restocking fee. No shipping fee as well because he said "When I get in the office later I'll double check an n55 CP myself on the test throttle body and send it over to you, and you can
toss the defective one." I already ordered my ER charge pipe because it is the only aftermarket model to attach to the stock mounting bracket for more support. We will see if they will accept the defective charge pipe and approve my refund shortly.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Appreciate the share, Terry has helped me a ton in the past I'm sure they'll make it right and it sounds like they're already working on it
      07-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #3
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Appreciate the share, Terry has helped me a ton in the past I'm sure they'll make it right and it sounds like they're already working on it
Absolutely man! Terry was super helpful! He agreed it was a defective charge pipe. No restocking fee but I do have to pay for shipping. Not to bad but such a headache this was.

Can't wait to get my ER charge pipe and finally go into boost again
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofis135i View Post
Absolutely man! Terry was super helpful! He agreed it was a defective charge pipe. No restocking fee but I do have to pay for shipping. Not to bad but such a headache this was.

If you can get them to confirm that the CP was defective once they get it, you should ask for the shipping to be covered too. Since then it really is 100% not on you
      07-27-2018, 04:30 PM   #5
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by christofis135i View Post

If you can get them to confirm that the CP was defective once they get it, you should ask for the shipping to be covered too. Since then it really is 100% not on you
Good call! I said in an email "I'll let you know how much the shipping is" as if he was gonna pay it either way. I doubt even if it doesn't fit that they will own up to it and refund me yet another time
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: Terry has been very unprofessional through this whole process. Once he received it he sent me a video of him with the charge pipe and a throttle body and he's lifting it off and on trying to make me look like an idiot. He then starts to argue with me and says that I don't know what I'm doing and that I am wrong. He has been emailing me non stop trying to ask what I did wrong. I've said it many times before and I do not like to repeat myself. Finally after like 7 emails he gives me my refund. Now he says he was able to fit in into an n55 135i. I don't believe him one bit. Why would I return something that fits when my car is down and I need to go to work and order an ER charge pipe (FITS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT) an wait another 4 days for it? This whole issue doesn't make any sense to me. They have a very hard time listening to customers. You receive the product, I receive my money. That's how it should be. I shouldn't have had to get into an argument with this guy over the smallest thing that he could have taken care of from the start. Very unhappy with bms.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
TURBO8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Do you have any pictures of the failed install?
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO8 View Post
Do you have any pictures of the failed install?

Do not. Would have been a waste of time. Terry said he was able to get it into a car no problem. I asked him to show me it in the car and he never replied to my email, funny. This was about 2 weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #9
cptgonzo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i sport pkg.

I went with the VRFS charge pipe and it fit perfectly and took like 20 min tops. My friend got the BMS charge pipe and 3 hours later and lots of bloody knuckles we still didn't have it in. eventually got it in after many hours of wrestling. Not bashing BMS, casue everything else I've got from them was top notch (SSK, JB4, clutch stop, etc.), but Personally i recommend the VRSF over the BMS charge pipe. just my 2 cents. Good luck and hope you get a pipe on soon!