BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just got Window Tint and my PDC fails...

Just got my windows tinted this morning and when i was driving back to work, the PDC warning came on.

Sure enough I had no PDC as I was reversing. Didnt realise how dependent i had become to it.

Looks like it's back to the dealer again... (3rd time in ownership of 7 months).

Has anyone's elses PDC failed? I doubt it was due to the tint though.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

That is bizarre! So you've had this issue 3 times before?!
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
pech135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

hey fatboy... on delivery the exact thing happened to me, just got the windows tinted and the PDC failed. i organised to bring it back into service the next week and as i started the car the next day, it worked again and hasnt been an issue ever since.

im sure somethings happening when they're removing door panels?

im going back in for a service to repair the shoddy tint job tomorrow (peeling), will get some more info on what some of the causes could have been and keep you in the loop.. hopefully the PDC just 'fixes' itself.

worse thing about taking your car to service under warranty is.. although its an issue with the car, it always feels like its YOUR fault!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 02:00 AM   #4
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
That is bizarre! So you've had this issue 3 times before?!
Unfortunately it's been 3 separate things

1) faulty clutch return spring
2) sunroof malfunc
3) PDC malfunc
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 02:05 AM   #5
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pech135 View Post
hey fatboy... on delivery the exact thing happened to me, just got the windows tinted and the PDC failed. i organised to bring it back into service the next week and as i started the car the next day, it worked again and hasnt been an issue ever since.

im sure somethings happening when they're removing door panels?

im going back in for a service to repair the shoddy tint job tomorrow (peeling), will get some more info on what some of the causes could have been and keep you in the loop.. hopefully the PDC just 'fixes' itself.

worse thing about taking your car to service under warranty is.. although its an issue with the car, it always feels like its YOUR fault!
maybe my issue isn't so crazy afterall! I didn't realise they had to remove the door panels (but it would explain why all the papers in my side consols was on the passenger seat).

Since this morning, the PDC has been working on and off with the code showing up occassionally. Hopefully it resolves itself but def let me know what the dealer says when you bring it up. I might try to bring it in end of week.

I always make it clear each time that the problems I've been having are BMW's fault
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 04:23 AM   #6
pech135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Hi mate, looks like a coincidence that the PDC fails and coincides with similar times and experiences (tinting)
i mentioned this to the service guy and was met with a blank look. hes never heard of it.

with all the software and tech running the car, it doesnt suprise that some of these teethin problems occur... lets just hope the electronic accererator doesnt floor itself! yikes!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pech135 View Post
Hi mate, looks like a coincidence that the PDC fails and coincides with similar times and experiences (tinting)
i mentioned this to the service guy and was met with a blank look. hes never heard of it.

with all the software and tech running the car, it doesnt suprise that some of these teethin problems occur... lets just hope the electronic accererator doesnt floor itself! yikes!

very coincidental indeed.

My PDC seems to be working fine all day without any problems now

lets hope that's the last time we both see that warning appear.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

My 120D has been to the dealer 3 times, and they couldn't find any problems. It happens so occasionally that the head mechanic had it for 3 days I couldn't fault it, and as soon as I jump it plays up again.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
You definitely become dependent on it. I almost backed my Dad's car into the garage wall cos I was waiting for the beeps which never came...
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0