BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Finally Got It - Mini Review + No Cupholder Clip (Thank God!)

Hey everyone,

Well, I've been posting on here since January and have been waiting 3 months for my baby to arrive, and finally brought her home this morning. Thought I'd give a lil mini review, though I don't have pics (some tomorrow probably), and I'm a little out of it since i just woke up from a long nap. I didn't get any sleep last night, antsy, knowing I was picking it up at 9:30am.

First off, I finally got to see it last night as it had just gotten off the truck, and it was so unbelievably dirty, it honestly didn't look that good. I kept telling myself, wait til they clean it and detail it...and let me tell you, when I went to pick it up this morning, it looked UNBELIEVABLE...like a completely different car. Here's what I got - Titanium Silver 135i, Black Leatherette, Glacier Aluminum Silver trim, and auto, that's it! So, it's a bit of a stripper.

Overall impressions after a couple of hours on LA freeways and driving around town, coming up with excuses to drive places and enjoying the free full tank of gas they put in there:

Looks:
The best way to describe it is how everybody has, it looks, chunky, stubby, portly. Love it. I didn't get the sports package, which I regretted to some degree and time will tell whether I ultimately regret that. The chrome trim, which I was intent on, doesn't look as noticeable on the silver as it does on the darker cars, which I was prepared for, but I think when I get my windows tinted in the next few days, it will really pop and make it stand out.

As for the aluminum trim, it's definitely "interesting." I think it was the best choice for me and what I was going for and people seem to like it and I think it will grow on me. I'm kind of indifferent on it, yet I find myself constantly having the urge to touch it and rub it. Weird, huh? I think it adds a unique sporty/industrial element to the car though.

Interior:
I was really worried about the non-sport seats. I still may end up buying someone on here's sport seats, but let me tell you, they are nowhere near as flat as I thought they'd be and are actually really comfortable! However, as one other person noted on here, after driving it for not very long at all, my lower back is killing me! I think that may just be my body getting used to a new seat as someone on here has suggested before, and I've had similar instances getting used to a new bed and what have you. So, hopefully that will go away after a week or so.

My absolute favorite thing about the interior is what is NOT there. Now, I've read a million posts on here and everything known to man about this car, but this was news to me - if you do not get the sports package, you DO NOT get that heinous clip on cupholder!! So, that stupid belt-buckle looking thing on the right side of the gearshift is not there. Complete straight, clean lines. It was funny, before I left the dealer, I was making sure I had everything for the car - front license plate frame to stay permanently in my trunk, etc. etc. and when I went to ask about where that clip on cupholder was, I looked in the car and noticed, that hideous thing wasn't even there! Who knew?! I'm so happy about that.

The interior though is just so roomy, you forget you're in such a small car. Realize though that this car seems BIG to me cause I was coming from a 2004 Crossfire, a 2 seater, which is a full foot shorter. The car is just the perfect size though for me. I honestly don't know why anybody would want anything bigger in a sports coupe.

Audio:
One of the other issues I grappled with was the premium audio. I really wanted it, but didnt' think it'd be worth the 10-15 bucks a month tacked onto my payment. Let me tell you, I was quite impressed with the stock system, much to my amazement, cause I swear when I listened to the one in the showroom a few weeks ago, it sounded like crap and I was looking to the Bavarian Soundwerks plug and play speaker system. Now, not a chance. It sounds great and I'm loving that it recognizes the song titles on the CD I made, displayinig them on the screen. So, first song I put on as I drove out of the dealer, U2's "One" fitting for the car, showed up on the screen and sounded great. I'm also loving the steering wheel radio controls. I'm sure once I fully play around with the radio and everything, I'll get it to sound perfect for my tastes.

And most importantly, driving impressions:
I don't need to say much about this cause as we all know, this car is a beast. But, it's just such the perfect combination of raw power along with the refinement of a luxurious drive that just makes it a joy to drive. From the smooth ride on the potholed streets of LA to listening to that sweet sweet tone of the exhaust as she effortlessly flies down the road, ooh nilly. I'm in love.

So, I'm going to spend a good while reading that manual as there are a million things to learn about and that you can program on the car and what have you, that I'm sure things will only get better as I get more used to the car and adjust all the little things so they are just perfect.

I fear I won't be on the site as much or posting as much though, cause no offense to the people on here, but I'd rather be out there driving the car, than sitting here at my computer talking about it. Thanks to everyone though for all the posts and stories and lil things that help (and sometimes hurt) as we sit here for months and months going through the agonizing waiting process.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
hitthemark41
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

congrats on the new ride...can't wait for a similar feeling in a few months! :w00t:

2008 (Year 1 of the One ) 135i
Black Sapphire Metallic/Savanna Beige/
Gray Poplar/6MT/Sports & Premium pkgs/CA/Heated Seats/HD/PDC
Mods:35% tint / clear bra / Perf. pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Nice write up and congratulations on your new car. Isn't the clip on cupholder something that comes with iDrive? I was under the impression that you lose a cupholder because of how the knob fits in so that's why they add that ungainly thing. If I got iDrive I would tell them not to include that cupholder, after all passengers can just hold their drinks (if I allow them in the first place that is).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

You get the clip on cup holder when you get the idrive. Its because you lose one of you cup holder for the idrive wheel.
      04-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Nope, the clip on cupholder seems to be sports package related. The two I'd seen/driven beforehand did not have i-drive, but had the sports package and had it and the dealer told me as well while I sat there jumping for joy that indeed it is part of the sports package. Was complete news to me! I'm sure someone on here without i-drive but with the sports package can give us a difinitive answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

I've seen it come with cars that don't have iDrive; never thought of the fact that it comes with the Sports Package.
you didn't sleep the night before?! oh my, you ARE an add1ct...

(SO see myself doing that)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
sunking420
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 135i

Glad you're happy. Mine should be in around May 7???? U2 huh? All I know is I will NOT have Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" playing for a while. I haven't had a speeding ticket since 1991, but the three I got before that time, all of them listening to "Kashmir". I love Led Zep, what can I say????
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

I think the benefits of the sport pkg far out weigh the annoying cup holder... it is not a deal breaker in my book... money well spent. The only option that was mandatory for me.....

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking420 View Post
Glad you're happy. Mine should be in around May 7???? U2 huh? All I know is I will NOT have Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" playing for a while. I haven't had a speeding ticket since 1991, but the three I got before that time, all of them listening to "Kashmir". I love Led Zep, what can I say????
My favorite all time band..hands down:smile:

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

hmmmm odd, the demo car at the dealers had sport but I didn't see the clip on cup holder - holder,
      04-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Granted, virtually everybody but me and a handfull of people will have the sports package and if I could go back, knowing what I know now, I'd probably get it. I was just reading the manuals though and there is the most beautiful picture, clearly from a european model of the interior and it has the most stunning brushed aluminum trim. Ugh! I may have to figure out a way to get that to replace the glacier aluminum since when i ordered the car, i THOUGHT it was the same brushed aluminum as on the 3. I soon learned otherwise. I think I may just go down to my garage and sit in the car for awhile, play with all these lighting systems and other things we can program to the remote/key, like how long the lights stay on after you turn off the car, how many times the turn signals blink, whether the radio automatically comes on, something about programming a button or two on the steering wheel. It's a lil overwhelming. Pics tomorrow, promise (i have no digital camera).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

I have not seen a 1er with the extra cupholder. I have looked at 10 cars. Alabama always gets things after everyone else though.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #13
993 911
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z3M, F31, G07

I have the sport package and no cupholder clip, that is on iDrive cars only.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #14
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Greg,
Congratulations! Don't worry about the Glacier trim. It will grow on you. I've had numerous compliments on it. It'll be great.

I have no Sport package currently and I do have iDrive... But the mystery cupholder is there. So, it's not about the Sport package.

Enjoy it! Don't let the little things bug you... The car is awesome

Congrats again !
      04-26-2008, 10:43 PM   #15
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

And so the mystery of the cup holder continues...<shrugs>

Thanks TagMan. The glacier trim will be fine, but it's just torture to open up the "1 Series Driver's Reference Guide" in the manuals and see on page 4 & 5 that beautiful brushed aluminum. THAT'S what I wanted and looks amazing. I may inquire into the possibility of getting it as i know the european 1's have it. Then I could die a happy man. And if I do die anytime soon, might as well just have them bury me in that car. Entomb me in there and send me on my merry way. =)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #16
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
So, I'm going to spend a good while reading that manual as there are a million things to learn about
You might be surprised how 'fancy' is the thing. :wink: I sure was.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 10:59 PM   #17
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

the cupholder slides right off if you happen to get one...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #18
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Just so you know, the 6 series has the same cup holder and it costs more than twice as much as any 1er.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
sid33
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Congrats and enjoy ...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #20
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Congrats ..

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 12:03 AM   #21
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

The cup holder is a strange thing indeed. There were a couple of cars posted here that had it, but didn't have iDrive. It makes sense that you get it when you get iDrive because you loose a cup holder, but I'm guessing those other cars were screw-ups at the factory. I certainly don't see any reason to give the car three cupholders up front.

Personally I hope mine (non-iDrive) comes with it. It looks a little strange (I sat in a 650 that had it), but it seems to work well, and the two cupholders in the console look a little awkward to me. It's easy enough to unclip and stow if you dont' like it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #22
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

While I'm glad mine doesn't have it, what bothers me is not having it attached, it's what it looks like when it is NOT attached, that's all. It just ruins the clean lines and look of that trim piece to me to have that belt buckle looking thing to snap into. Who knows...just glad it's not in mine for whatever reason. =)
Appreciate 0