BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
jc_lbc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 318ti

New car wash/wax product recs

I want to give my new car a good wash/seal/wax since it seems to need it. What should I use on alpine white that will last the longest and won't be a nightmare to get on and off? Also, should I clay it first even though its brand new?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Zaino... I use AIO every 6 months and it takes about an hour or two to do the whole car. I also got some Z2 polish with my last order that I'm going to be putting on soon.

Don't know about clay bars but I don't think you can go wrong with Zaino
      07-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

It sounds like you are looking for a quick and easy process that still takes good care of your new vehicle. I can help tailor a solution that best meets your needs. Below are some suggestions I have but we can adjust this as needed so don't hesitate to provide some feedback on how we can best help you out.

Washing and Drying
Washing and drying is where most swirls come from so I suggest refining your process by using the two bucket method, if you are not already. For detailed instructions check out the washing and drying section of our detailing guide. As for products we have two kits which are outstanding and a good value.

DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit

DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar
A clay bar helps deep clean the paint and even new vehicles have plenty of contaminants. It's not a must but it's a great way to ensure you are starting off with a clean surface. It is a pretty easy and safe way to deep clean the surface that we recommend doing 1 - 2 times per year. Here are two outstanding deals on a clay bar and clay lube:

DI Packages DI Clay Bar and Clay Lube Combo

DI Packages Ultra Fine Clay Bar + PBW Spray & Wipe (clay lube)

Protection
For durable protection we recommend a quality sealant. For a fast and efficient application I'm going to recommend you select one of three products listed below and I'll highlight the main differences between them.

1. Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger
This sealant is a traditional sealant as it provides extremely durable protection with a great shine. It's very easy to use and it's easily one of my favorite products for both shine and protection.

2. Optimum (OPT) Poli-Seal
Arguably the best value on the market as a $15.99 gets you 32oz of a premium sealant. This sealant is referred to as an AIO (All In One) because it contains a bit of cleaner and sealant in one formula. It will help remove oxidation and stains on the surface while protecting and enhancing the shine. It does two steps in one while providing awesome results! It also applies and removes with ease so it's a great choice!

3. Optimum (OPT) Opti-Seal
This is the fastest way to apply strong protection. It's not quite as durable as the other two options but it still providing months, not weeks, of protection. For the application spray it on the supplied applicator or directly on the paint and then spread it nice and thin and you are done. It dries clear so no removal is needed, you can't really get any faster than that. It also looks great and will repel moisture, contaminants, etc.

As always we offer 10% off to forum members with the coupon code 10offBMW1, however it does not apply to kits, sale items and tools. If you have any questions please let me know I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
jc_lbc
Private First Class
Rep

Looks like my GF bought me some Chemical Guys stuff for my birthday! She's been paying attention. So I've now got a couple wash buckets with shampoo, mits, and grit guards along with some quick detailer, a clay bar package, some applicators and a nice stack of heavy micro towels. Sweet! Don't have the sealant though... the Optimum (OPT) Opti-Seal sounds right up my alley. Would you put a wax over that or just seal and go? Would you recommend claying the car before doing either? Not sure if I really need to clay my brand new car or not—there really shouldn't be much in the paint at this point.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Mutilator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 135i

You'd be surprised how much can be on a new car's paint... claying isn't hard and I'd go ahead and do it... might as well be sure you start of with a clean slate right?
Wash, clay, wash again, dry then move on to the sealant. You can top it with a carnauba wax if you want to but you don't have to. I top my Klasse AIO sealant with P21S wax out of habit, but on an Alpine White car like mine you can't really notice an appreciable difference so next time I do a full detail I may skip that step... but probably not.
On darker colors putting wax over the sealant can give more depth or a wet look to the finish that the sealant alone can't.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
jc_lbc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilator View Post
You'd be surprised how much can be on a new car's paint... claying isn't hard and I'd go ahead and do it... might as well be sure you start of with a clean slate right?
Wash, clay, wash again, dry then move on to the sealant. You can top it with a carnauba wax if you want to but you don't have to. I top my Klasse AIO sealant with P21S wax out of habit, but on an Alpine White car like mine you can't really notice an appreciable difference so next time I do a full detail I may skip that step... but probably not.
On darker colors putting wax over the sealant can give more depth or a wet look to the finish that the sealant alone can't.
Excellent info. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
subscience
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I just tried out Optimum No-Rinse car wash and Optimum Car Wax the last time I washed my car. I'm extremely happy with the results.

Optimum No-Rinse
Optimum Car Wax

08 jet black 135i | sport, 6-mt
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_lbc View Post
Looks like my GF bought me some Chemical Guys stuff for my birthday! She's been paying attention. So I've now got a couple wash buckets with shampoo, mits, and grit guards along with some quick detailer, a clay bar package, some applicators and a nice stack of heavy micro towels. Sweet! Don't have the sealant though... the Optimum (OPT) Opti-Seal sounds right up my alley. Would you put a wax over that or just seal and go? Would you recommend claying the car before doing either? Not sure if I really need to clay my brand new car or not—there really shouldn't be much in the paint at this point.
Glad to hear your gf already got you some quality products. The Optimum (OPT) Opti-Sealcan be used by itself or you can layer a wax on top of it. The Optimum (OPT) Car Wax is a great option here if interested. Either method will work just fine. I do recommend using a clay bar before that even on brand new paint. You'll be amazed how much you can remove with it. Then protect it with the Optimum (OPT) Opti-Seal and you'll be all set. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
johnwillson03
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ferrari

re;New car wash/wax product recs.....

Special Car Wash Toronto – Car Wash & Detailing: Introduces best Car Wash in GTA, Hand Car Wash, Auto detailing, Mobile Car Wash & Detailing services from professional car detailers in Toronto, Ontario. We cater for Cars, SUVs, Trucks and Vans.
      03-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

My wife's car is the same as yours, and I detailed it recently. Look through my recent posts and have a look at the thread if you wish.

I would suggest washing it with a strong shampoo, then claying it properly. After carefully drying it with a nice waffle weave towel, put a sealant or wax on it. My favorite sealant currently is Menzerna Power Lock. Super easy to apply and remove and looks really good.

If you want to go the wax route, I like paste waxes. Swissvax makes very nice waxes and although they are a bit pricey, a single pot will last you forever.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #11
lustretouch
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Car Wash deals in this business which offers car washing and detailing services at affordable prices and in shortest period of time.
https://www.lustretouch.ca/mobile-car-wash-toronto/
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #12
trainerjon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M package

I've been using All American Car Care Products for years now. Great waxes, soaps, tire dressings, and interior products. You can check them out on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/stores/All+Am...0?ref_=ast_bln
'11 135i M-Sport DCT, M3 RSFB, PPK, CP, BMS intake, Agency Power Axle Back, VRSF 5.5" FMIC, FSB, M3/M1 Front + Rear Control Arms, Ground Control Coilovers, Ground Control Camber Plates, E92 M3 Front Seats, VMR 701's Squared 255's, E92 M3 Steering Rack - Daily Driven, Occasionally Tracked - 157k miles <SOLD> >2021 HS M2C Manual
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Used this stuff on my car recently. Surprisingly good results, and not very expensive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:04 AM   #14
ekkathewrekka
135i Enthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i MY2011 N55 Softtop

Quote:
I want to give my new car a good wash/seal/wax since it seems to need it. What should I use on alpine white that will last the longest and won't be a nightmare to get on and off? Also, should I clay it first even though its brand new?
Ist up clay bar using a cheap detailer as the lubricant
Then us carpro eraser to remove all residue
Apply carpro Cquartz - last 2 years

Throw all your waxes, polishes and sealants away as you wont need them

Read about it here

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/carpro?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3NWtorOE7QIVBXmLCh2_hQWlE AAYASAAEgL3yvD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:34 PM   #15
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkathewrekka View Post
Quote:
Ist up clay bar using a cheap detailer as the lubricant
Then us carpro eraser to remove all residue
Apply carpro Cquartz - last 2 years

Throw all your waxes, polishes and sealants away as you wont need them

Read about it here

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/carpro?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3NWtorOE7QIVBXmLCh2_hQWlE AAYASAAEgL3yvD_BwE
I think ceramic coatings are great and they will last the period or more if not neglected.

The problem I experienced is that it didn't last one salty winter here in the northeast with my GTI.

But when I applied the same coating on my 1er it can last 2-3 years during the summer when I drive it. Gtechniq g2 on glass lasted like 6 years!!
      01-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #16
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

TW S&S is life