BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Should I Leave Japan?
Yes, GTFO! 41 63.08%
No, You're Over-Reacting. 24 36.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

03-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #23
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

If you have somewhere else to go, I'd think that maybe you should leave temporarily, to be safe no? I like the advice about having a suitcase ready to get out ASAP if it comes to it, but just thinking....wouldn't you be getting out ASAP along with everyone else?

Might be awfully hard to catch a flight then....
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #24
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Just keep in mind as much as the US media will say the ski is falling the Japanese tend to be over optimistic. They always put the best forward. Where you are may not have any immediate effect, however, things may change over time, I suspect they life will be get harder there. We have supplier in Japan and they are getting hit with rolling black outs and it may be some time before they get the power issues resolved which count translate in to other issue for the everyday person.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #25
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

honestly, if you aren't in duress, why leave? sure, the nuclear thing is kinda freaky, but mei-ken is far from fukushima-ken, as you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #26
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
i read somewhere that if a populated city was nuked, 90% of it woudl survive (say 5-10 kiloton dirty bomb in middle of 5-10mil city area) - but a lot more will die from panic. Like a lot lot more. So moral is - don't run away unless you clearly know where to go. It's worse to be stuck in some refugee camp midway than trying to live through it at home, with supplies, etc. The fallout is heavy - very heavy - and it FALLS OUT first so real contamination will be in the 30-50km radius in case of something very bad. But fingers crossed it wont be that bad. Media does make things look worse - i will admit even i read newspapers like 10 times more now than before and CNN, SKY, BBC is on intermittently. And i hate news. AND i live like 12000km away! SO i can imagine you are scared over there listening to this crap. I hope your country comes out of it and the fallout isn't big enough to cut the country in two. those exclusion zone bubbles on TV starting to grow every day.
      03-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #27
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

I would leave. I've seen enough scary pictures at Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum and I wouldn't want to take any risk.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #28
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Japanese government will down play this for as much and as long as they can. There are 39 million people in Tokyo alone. Any news that will set off a panic would be catastrophic. There is simply no way to evacuate this many people at once. There are people who are leaving on their own will at the moment - this in turn is a controlled evacuation. The government will slowly release the bad news so that people will leave in a controlled manner.

With that said, leave now before it is too late.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #29
JIM E92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe

USS Ronald Regan was over 100mi away from the plant when it detected radiation and said sianora. That was Monday--before the other two reactors caught fire and potentially breached. I would use some common sense and GTFO.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #30
SpeedOften
Cone Killing E90
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM E92 View Post
USS Ronald Regan was over 100mi away from the plant when it detected radiation and said sianora. That was Monday--before the other two reactors caught fire and potentially breached. I would use some common sense and GTFO.
I would really like to respond but I don't know how while maintaining opsec. For what is going on in Japan, it is not unexpected for a US ship within 100 miles to detect it. Any properly prepared nuclear powered ship will have the equipment that would be able to detect the normal de-gassing procedure of a civilian PWR nuclear plant at a range of at least 20 miles or more.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/03/ban...radiation.html

To give you a comparison... using banana's.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #31
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

The thing is that we dont have enough information...are you there for work? Are you a rich us citizen that was bored and moved there with no job etc? I mean if you leave have no job no income elsewhere i'd rather stay there.

I love watching US media like CNN they overexagerate I mean all media overexagerate. I remember when the canadiens won against washington in the playoffs they were acting like the city was all upside down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #32
JIM E92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedOften View Post
I would really like to respond but I don't know how while maintaining opsec. For what is going on in Japan, it is not unexpected for a US ship within 100 miles to detect it. Any properly prepared nuclear powered ship will have the equipment that would be able to detect the normal de-gassing procedure of a civilian PWR nuclear plant at a range of at least 20 miles or more.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/03/ban...radiation.html

To give you a comparison... using banana's.
Very informative. However, how could one be certain that the published radiation readings are accurate. Would you bet your health or life on what your government or utility company told you? Would you bet everything on which way the wind was blowing? Wouldn't it be smart to err on the side of caution?
Appreciate 0