BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

What's this noise coming from my car? (video)

See the link below for a video of the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnNliWkEIpI

Its a click-clack/sticking noise and seems to be coming from the brakes I think? It ONLY happens after about 15-20 minutes of hard driving in the canyons. Goes away if you drive at normal city speeds for about 5 minutes or so, and never shows up at all if the entire drive is only at normal city driving speeds.

I think its something with the brakes getting hot and then sticking, but not totally sure. You can tell from the video that it will make the noise both under throttle and when on the brakes and gets faster with increased speed.

I have the Performance Brakes on my car and they were installed about 5 months ago. I took it to the shop that installed them for me and they gave me the "can't duplicate it and can't see anything wrong". A little frustrating since I provided them the same video, so obviously something is wrong.

Wanted to get the thoughts of people here before I take it to another shop. Was really hoping the guy that installed them would help me out by honoring the warranty on his work but oh well... Appreciate any help!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #2
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
See the link below for a video of the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnNliWkEIpI

Its a click-clack/sticking noise and seems to be coming from the brakes I think? It ONLY happens after about 15-20 minutes of hard driving in the canyons. Goes away if you drive at normal city speeds for about 5 minutes or so, and never shows up at all if the entire drive is only at normal city driving speeds.

I think its something with the brakes getting hot and then sticking, but not totally sure. You can tell from the video that it will make the noise both under throttle and when on the brakes and gets faster with increased speed.

I have the Performance Brakes on my car and they were installed about 5 months ago. I took it to the shop that installed them for me and they gave me the "can't duplicate it and can't see anything wrong". A little frustrating since I provided them the same video, so obviously something is wrong.

Wanted to get the thoughts of people here before I take it to another shop. Was really hoping the guy that installed them would help me out by honoring the warranty on his work but oh well... Appreciate any help!
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26079245

Hope this help!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
kaputt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128ibro View Post
Are those responsible for making similar noises to what was heard? Those parts are also on every 135i since the front caliper is the same, and I couldn’t find anyone complaining of a similar noise.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #4
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

I would say that this matches what you're thinking. The heat is causing parts to expand and they're causing some slight drag after hard use. The fix would be to pull everything apart again and make sure that everything is clean and greased properly and that there's no binding anywhere.

Not too difficult to do.

Good luck!

-Sam

PS. By the way, there were some people at some point using pads that didn't quite fit exactly. I believe they were a little loose. You may want to state which pads you are using and make sure that they are an exact fit and not slightly loose.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
kaputt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamelCamel View Post
I would say that this matches what you're thinking. The heat is causing parts to expand and they're causing some slight drag after hard use. The fix would be to pull everything apart again and make sure that everything is clean and greased properly and that there's no binding anywhere.

Not too difficult to do.

Good luck!

-Sam

PS. By the way, there were some people at some point using pads that didn't quite fit exactly. I believe they were a little loose. You may want to state which pads you are using and make sure that they are an exact fit and not slightly loose.
Appreciate the response. The pads the are the OEM ones that came with the kit, which I believe are the same as 135i pads, at least on the front.

It unfortunate I'm likely going to have to pay another shop to take a look at it. I really need to get my own skills up so I can take care of some of these things myself.

I think the shop that did the work originally is currently more interested in pushing guys through that are paying for mods or major maintenance than doing the warranty work that won't get them any money. Pretty sure that's not how a shop is supposed to work, but what do I know? I guess they win this round since I'm going elsewhere, but my return business is definitely in doubt so ultimately their loss in the end I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:53 PM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Appreciate the response. The pads the are the OEM ones that came with the kit, which I believe are the same as 135i pads, at least on the front.

It unfortunate I'm likely going to have to pay another shop to take a look at it. I really need to get my own skills up so I can take care of some of these things myself.

I think the shop that did the work originally is currently more interested in pushing guys through that are paying for mods or major maintenance than doing the warranty work that won't get them any money. Pretty sure that's not how a shop is supposed to work, but what do I know? I guess they win this round since I'm going elsewhere, but my return business is definitely in doubt so ultimately their loss in the end I think.
I definitely wouldn't go there again if they won't stand behind their work.

Find a shop with good reviews. There should be something in your area.

Even if you have to travel a little distance, it'll be worth it in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
kaputt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

Even if you have to travel a little distance, it'll be worth it in the long run.
Unfortunately the shop I took it to for the brakes is one of the top recommended ones in the area, including on these forums. They had done my suspension, exhaust, and intake at previous times and my experience was great. I had a bit of a conversation with the owner and it was just a little weird how he was distancing himself from this, but oh well. It honestly felt more like he just didn't want to prioritize the job over other clients that were paying for upgrades. Maybe the current situation with COVID-19 and business being slower played into that, who knows?

Current shop is right around the corner from me and where I've taken my car for regular maintenance with good results. He is eyeing the backing plate as a potential root cause. We'll see!
Appreciate 1
Esteban44407.00
      04-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

Unfortunately the shop I took it to for the brakes is one of the top recommended ones in the area, including on these forums. They had done my suspension, exhaust, and intake at previous times and my experience was great. I had a bit of a conversation with the owner and it was just a little weird how he was distancing himself from this, but oh well. It honestly felt more like he just didn't want to prioritize the job over other clients that were paying for upgrades. Maybe the current situation with COVID-19 and business being slower played into that, who knows?

Current shop is right around the corner from me and where I've taken my car for regular maintenance with good results. He is eyeing the backing plate as a potential root cause. We'll see!
I guess there are no guarantees, and you could be right about the virus changing the way people do business.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
      04-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Quote:

I've still got brand-new titanium backing plates I bought and I have never installed them. I was planning on doing all new rotors and pads, but never got around to it for some reason. I should probably either install them at some point or maybe try to sell them.

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #10
kaputt
Captain
Rep

The plot thickens a bit. The brake issue looks like it might have been the parking brake that was set too tight, and was starting to catch when things got hot. However, when the car was up on the lift he noticed that one of my rear subframe bushings was not installed properly.

I had the M3 subframe bushings installed by the shop that had done the brakes and now I’m starting to doubt all their work. I’ve been driving on the M3 bushings for about a year, really hoping that I haven’t done any lasting damage. Car is now staying overnight and will have to be worked on tomorrow as well.

So frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #11
kaputt
Captain
Rep

Noise came back this weekend after some canyon runs. I think I’m going to bite the bullet and probably pull everything brake related apart, inspect, and then re-install.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #12
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

How was a bushing installed improperly? Was it installed upside down? In the wrong position?

You gotta do some more troubleshooting tbh. Does the sound go away or change if you lightly pull the hand brake while the sound is happening?

This is why I do my own work on my cars. Any time you start doing mods, you need to be the one who is the expert on your own vehicle.