BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #67
Rekraps01
1M Two Timer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Catching the Fake 1M

So I was grocery shopping in Atlanta (parked in a normal spot) when I noticed a 1 Series pull up to the front of the grocery store, park in a no parking area and then run in, leaving his girl friend in the car. It looked a bit odd, with wide tires and such, so I looked more closely and this fool had rebadged his 135 (I assume) and installed "M" badging. As it turns out, as I was leaving the store, so was he and as we both left the parking lot, I was behind his car (actually looked pretty nice) and you know what happened next. He'll be breathing 1M fumes for a while, and spending quite a bit of time explaining to his GF why his car was so much slower than a real 1M.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #68
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Hmmm Rekraps, it sounds like you don't really realize what a 1M is. I doubt I'd street race a 1M in my 135 out of respect unless they were acting like a jerk, etc. I doubt that's what happened in this case since this guy sounds like a poser. However, I'd say you were lucky he wasn't running a tune and methanol, or E85, or Rob Beck's etc.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #69
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekraps01 View Post
So I was grocery shopping in Atlanta (parked in a normal spot) when I noticed a 1 Series pull up to the front of the grocery store, park in a no parking area and then run in, leaving his girl friend in the car. It looked a bit odd, with wide tires and such, so I looked more closely and this fool had rebadged his 135 (I assume) and installed "M" badging. As it turns out, as I was leaving the store, so was he and as we both left the parking lot, I was behind his car (actually looked pretty nice) and you know what happened next. He'll be breathing 1M fumes for a while, and spending quite a bit of time explaining to his GF why his car was so much slower than a real 1M.
@Rekraps If the other guy enjoys his car and mods, then that's perfectly fine for me.
      06-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #70
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

In stop and go traffic guy next to me starts raving about the 1M and how good it looks, he's driving F10 M5.

Few seconds later 4 gangbangers slow down in HOV lane to take pics of my car.

Didn't exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy inside...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #71
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan
In stop and go traffic guy next to me starts raving about the 1M and how good it looks, he's driving F10 M5.

I hate it when I get compliments on my ride from people of all socioeconomic levels too!!

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #72
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post

Had similar experience. Was a bit slow on passing lane (10 over) and realized a caravan following me a bit too close to my liking so pulled over to the right lane. And he followed me to the right lane, I was like wtf. And then he pulled out his iphone to take a pic of my car... then he sped off and crossed two lanes to left turn lane...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:48 AM   #73
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Funny how this thread came alive again tonight. Tonight after dinner my wife didn't want to go home right away and decided to go to Stanley Park for a drive.
As I was approaching the entrance of the park I saw in my rear mirror this car from a distance speeding up to me in a hurry. When it got close enough, I saw it was a new Mini Coupe convertible. It was right behind me at this point inside the park, so I pulled to the right and let him pass. As he passed me, he was checking out my car. A few minutes later I stopped at a spot and decided to take a pano shot with my iPhone, when I was about to leave, the Mini showed up again. This time he stopped and waved and said "Rare, beautiful, nice, cool car!". I waved back and said thank you and he drove off with his girl friend. I have to admit I do love the attention (sometimes) and especially when people know the 1M and appreciate it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #74
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca335 View Post
Funny how this thread came alive again tonight. Tonight after dinner my wife didn't want to go home right away and decided to go to Stanley Park for a drive.
As I was approaching the entrance of the park I saw in my rear mirror this car from a distance speeding up to me in a hurry. When it got close enough, I saw it was a new Mini Coupe convertible. It was right behind me at this point inside the park, so I pulled to the right and let him pass. As he passed me, he was checking out my car. A few minutes later I stopped at a spot and decided to take a pano shot with my iPhone, when I was about to leave, the Mini showed up again. This time he stopped and waved and said "Rare, beautiful, nice, cool car!". I waved back and said thank you and he drove off with his girl friend. I have to admit I do love the attention (sometimes) and especially when people know the 1M and appreciate it
That is one hell of a picture! And I agree that 'some' kinds of attention are better than others.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #75
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I have a 135i and I literally spent the last 2 hours doing various tasks and reading this entire thread at work. On my way home, I saw a VO 1M! The smile on my face must've looked so childish. Anyways, VO 1M owner in LA, driving North on the 110 exiting around Pasadena with license plates to trick the world (O0O 0O0 or something like that, I don't even know how you got that), great looking car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 03:12 AM   #76
Stu1M
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
the doorman at The Savoy says "nice car" as you hand him the keys.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #77
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu1M View Post
the doorman at The Savoy says "nice car" as you hand him the keys.
They say that...which also might mean that you shouldn't hand him the keys
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #78
oldBMWguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M [Finally !]

Today as I was parking my 1m at the local Traders Joes I noticed a man [probably in his 40's] eying me. When I got out of the car he came over and said " I know you already know this, but you have one hell of a car there-- very rare and beautiful!"... What could I say but thank you very much!--- after three years this thing still puts a smile on my face, and it is nice to know that a few others appreciate it also.....
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #79
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

last week:
Name:  IMG_9340.png
Views: 543
Size:  509.5 KB

Nice gentleman crossed the street, took a bunch of photos of my parked 1M, then happened to stop in the cafe I was at.

Probably averaging 1-2 compliments a week.
Half are performance/rarity related; half are just because of the VO color.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #80
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

1Ms must be too common in Australia, I've had the car for near on 2 years now and only a couple of comments.

First was a bicycle courier next to me at the lights telling me how nice the car is, and the second..... well I didn't see her, she was a passenger in a car slightly behind in the next lane. All I heard was, "I want your car!! I want your car!!"........and as the lights turned Green and I moved away......"Give me your car!!!" So.........I assumed she was talking about the 1M and not the silver Hyundai in front of me.

Be interested to hear if other Aussie owners have much to post here. I get the sense that people don't really know what it is most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #81
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
1Ms must be too common in Australia, I've had the car for near on 2 years now and only a couple of comments.

First was a bicycle courier next to me at the lights telling me how nice the car is, and the second..... well I didn't see her, she was a passenger in a car slightly behind in the next lane. All I heard was, "I want your car!! I want your car!!"........and as the lights turned Green and I moved away......"Give me your car!!!" So.........I assumed she was talking about the 1M and not the silver Hyundai in front of me.

Be interested to hear if other Aussie owners have much to post here. I get the sense that people don't really know what it is most of the time.
Must be all the AW..

All jokes aside, I only take out on the weekends, and am forever getting the thumbs up and pix taken when the car is parked, too many to post about..

Must be a VO thing..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #82
mrphil
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post

its the same over here in new zealand. I only had two comments on the 1M, once was at the petrol station and the other time was at the supermarket, both asking if it was a real M1 i say no its a 1M lol

but if i drive the Z4 or cayman i always get "nice car" , thumbs up and smiles from everyone
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #83
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphil View Post
its the same over here in new zealand. I only had two comments on the 1M, once was at the petrol station and the other time was at the supermarket, both asking if it was a real M1 i say no its a 1M lol

but if i drive the Z4 or cayman i always get "nice car" , thumbs up and smiles from everyone
Here in Canada when I drove the Z4M I barely got a look, the 1M gets constant attention from all sorts.

Many comments about the VO color.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #84
mrphil
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post
Here in Canada when I drove the Z4M I barely got a look, the 1M gets constant attention from all sorts.

Many comments about the VO color.
i think people here are just not into cars or the 1M just doesnt look like a sports car compared to the Z4 or cayman
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #85
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i think people here are just not into cars or the 1M just doesnt look like a sports car compared to the Z4 or cayman
Agreed, to the untrained eye the 1M is just a compact.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #86
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Quote:

Is yours "blend in with the background" White also MrPhil?

It may indeed be a colour thing, although I get more comments in my old 1997 Nissan and it's also White as day.

I did however overhear a guy in a group exclaim "It's a 1M!" to his mates whilst I was driving through the city recently, so it seems to draw comment from those who actually know what it is rather than just any old generic car nut.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #87
mrphil
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep

yip mines AW but the z4 is mineral white lol
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #88
Jb1707
Rep
Drives: 1M, IXM60, M3, Hur Perf, GT4rs

Was just getting back in my car after breakfast at our favourite café when 2 young guys pull up behind me. One of the guys gets out and poses in front of my car with 2 thumbs up while his mate takes pictures on his phone.

They didn't realise I was in the car until I fired her up and the startled look on their faces was priceless.

I don't care what the cynics would say, the 1M is an amazing car and is a keeper for life.
Appreciate 0