BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
blackberryq10android
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2009 Convertible

Hi,

Does anyone else have a smell in idle after the wire recall was installed with new wires from BMW? It goes away after I drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

I think we need a little more information. If it smells like smoke or something burning, then I wouldn't drive it until it's checked out. There's not much under that part of the dash that would smell if damaged e.g., the evaporator, heater core, etc. It's possible they damaged the blower motor and you might have a faint burning plastic smell as friction causes it to heat up. Once you are driving, you have enough air flowing through that you might not notice it.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
blackberryq10android
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I think we need a little more information. If it smells like smoke or something burning, then I wouldn't drive it until it's checked out. There's not much under that part of the dash that would smell if damaged e.g., the evaporator, heater core, etc. It's possible they damaged the blower motor and you might have a faint burning plastic smell as friction causes it to heat up. Once you are driving, you have enough air flowing through that you might not notice it.
Hey,

How could I check to see if they damaged the blower? Is it as simple as me popping the hood to look?

Even if they did, is it a big deal if it is damaged? Clearly, it is minor if anything because there is no code on the computer and the smell doesn't always happen in idle, just sometimes when I start the car. It isn't smoke but it isn't a good smell, smells like burning oil almost but it goes away after driving in 1 second.

Be hard to get them to fix it for free?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberryq10android View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Hey,

How could I check to see if they damaged the blower? Is it as simple as me popping the hood to look?

Even if they did, is it a big deal if it is damaged? Clearly, it is minor if anything because there is no code on the computer and the smell doesn't always happen in idle, just sometimes when I start the car. It isn't smoke but it isn't a good smell, smells like burning oil almost but it goes away after driving in 1 second.

Be hard to get them to fix it for free?
All that is behind the dashboard. You'd have to remove the dash to really know. I'd give it a week, then take it back if it's truly unbearable.
      11-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
I understood that the blower motor wiring recall was simply replacing the connector to the blower motor, nothing exciting or hard to get to...

Just pop off the dash cover under the glove box, unplug, cut off old plug, install new plug, reconnect & replace panal..... Or so I thought...
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
I understood that the blower motor wiring recall was simply replacing the connector to the blower motor, nothing exciting or hard to get to...

Just pop off the dash cover under the glove box, unplug, cut off old plug, install new plug, reconnect & replace panal..... Or so I thought...
We also have to shrink wrap the wiring after the repair, and it makes a fair bit of smoke/stinks. That could just be it.
Appreciate 1
1and11856.50
      11-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Always nice to hear from somebody that actually does the work!

lolz- now that I think about it, pretty sure I heard the process from you in a post somewhere else around here on 1addicts...
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Always nice to hear from somebody that actually does the work!

lolz- now that I think about it, pretty sure I heard the process from you in a post somewhere else around here on 1addicts...
Ya, probably me.

Enjoy the l'eau de let the smoke out. Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:28 AM   #9
blackberryq10android
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:

We also have to shrink wrap the wiring after the repair, and it makes a fair bit of smoke/stinks. That could just be it.
I think the mechanic is spot on. Smell seems to have gone away after 2-3 weeks. Now people know what causes this smell if they do the wire recall.
Appreciate 1