BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2019, 03:14 AM   #67
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

This makes so much more sense. Thank you! Gonna give it a shot this weekend. Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #68
Null_Error
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Did you need a technic harness for this set up. I'm trying to do the same thing in my e90 with a JL 600/6 amp or a pol 5000.5
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #69
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null_Error View Post
Did you need a technic harness for this set up. I'm trying to do the same thing in my e90 with a JL 600/6 amp or a pol 5000.5
Yes I used a harness from eBay that was similar to the Technic harness:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-F10...s/163717663112

This is how I used it to replace the factory amp with 2 aftermarket amps:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1534261
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #70
okafortin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 gla250,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but looking to do this to my '11 135i with HK/non-iDrive. Has anyone been successful with this head unit using the Axxesss harness? It's steep and I live in Canada, so I just want to make sure I've got the right one before I pull the trigger. The Connects2 one Stubbie suggested is like 350 pounds, so just trying to save a few bucks if possible
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #71
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okafortin View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but looking to do this to my '11 135i with HK/non-iDrive. Has anyone been successful with this head unit using the Axxesss harness? It's steep and I live in Canada, so I just want to make sure I've got the right one before I pull the trigger. The Connects2 one Stubbie suggested is like 350 pounds, so just trying to save a few bucks if possible
You might be able to use one of these Chinese made MOST fiber optic decoders: https://www.amazon.com/XTRONS-Optica...dp/B07GZJYYF4/

Or: https://www.amazon.com/Eonon-Optical...dp/B07J4P4XDF/

Check with the seller to see if they think it will work. You'll still need another harness for chimes and steering wheel controls.

The Axxess harness should work and does SWC as well. Here's a thread of someone else installing it: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1489855

Last edited by Stubbie Blue; 03-14-2020 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 05:47 AM   #72
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 125i E82 Bluewater

generalised question for all these android screens. i was looking at the one that replaces the storage on the dash or the one that replaces the radio and lowers the climate control on the front side.

How are these with heat? if the car is parked in the sun all day?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #73
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer23rm View Post
generalised question for all these android screens. i was looking at the one that replaces the storage on the dash or the one that replaces the radio and lowers the climate control on the front side.

How are these with heat? if the car is parked in the sun all day?
I haven't had any problems here in Florida for the 2 years that I've had this headunit. I use a windshield sun shade when parked and my windows are tinted though.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #74
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 125i E82 Bluewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie Blue View Post
I haven't had any problems here in Florida for the 2 years that I've had this headunit. I use a windshield sun shade when parked and my windows are tinted though.
thanks! yeah my windows are also tinted and i've started using a sun shade when out in direct sun.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #75
tuzige
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135 DCT

Digging up an old thread here! Going through this install and everything is working, but my underseat subs are not. Did I miss something? I've gone through a lot of the audio settings, but haven't uncovered anything that seems to be making a difference. Going to pull everything this weekend to see if I can see anything amiss.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:53 AM   #76
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzige View Post
Digging up an old thread here! Going through this install and everything is working, but my underseat subs are not. Did I miss something? I've gone through a lot of the audio settings, but haven't uncovered anything that seems to be making a difference. Going to pull everything this weekend to see if I can see anything amiss.
I actually upgraded all the speakers and amp when I installed the headunit:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1534261

But if I remember correctly, the stock subs were so weak that you could barely hear them. You could try the Loud setting in the Joying and cranking the volume to see if they work at all. Also, I think the stock amp uses a differential balanced input which the Joying doesn't output so that may cause problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #77
tuzige
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135 DCT

Thanks Stubbie, I was thinking it had to do with the Joying output matching the amp's input. Honestly, the overall volume is low, so I've got the loud setting on just to have a decent volume. Looks like I'll be adding the amps to push the system appropriately.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #78
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

I ordered a 9" eonon unit for my e90 that fits in place of the stock system and relocated the climate controls lower. There was some issues with the mounting bracket and the screws for securing it in place which caused the screen to crack. I'm looking at other options now. The DSP option on these newer units are a serious upgrade that I don't feel I can live without now. I haven't seen many people using these single dins on the e90. I like the idea of using this unit so that climate control can stay in place. I'm just concerned with the recessed position of the stereo and if the 20mm that the screen sticks out would be enough to clear it. I can't find any video or pictures of the screws that attach to the clips on this unit. My idea is that I would look to add washers on the screen to get more space if I need to clear the dash. Can any of you guys take a picture of the screws and let me know if there would be enough thread to add a washer between the clip and the screen.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #79
cdugas4
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
I ordered a 9" eonon unit for my e90 ...
Cool, but this is the e8x forum. You might get responses that are more relevant from the proper forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #80
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ordered a 9" eonon unit for my e90 that fits in place of the stock system and relocated the climate controls lower. There was some issues with the mounting bracket and the screws for securing it in place which caused the screen to crack. I'm looking at other options now. The DSP option on these newer units are a serious upgrade that I don't feel I can live without now. I haven't seen many people using these single dins on the e90. I like the idea of using this unit so that climate control can stay in place. I'm just concerned with the recessed position of the stereo and if the 20mm that the screen sticks out would be enough to clear it. I can't find any video or pictures of the screws that attach to the clips on this unit. My idea is that I would look to add washers on the screen to get more space if I need to clear the dash. Can any of you guys take a picture of the screws and let me know if there would be enough thread to add a washer between the clip and the screen.
The screws are tiny and only around 1/4" long if I remember correctly, so I don't think you'll be able to add any washers. I have attached a pic from the joyingauto.com website. However, a single DIN unit can actually be mounted at 2 different depths, where you see the 2 square latch holes on the side of the unit. Mine is actually mounted with the latch hole that allows the unit to protrude out more, and the ribbon cable on the back of the screen rests on the aluminum trim piece because I raised it to clear the climate controls. You can see this in the photos in the first post.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #81
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugas4 View Post
Cool, but this is the e8x forum. You might get responses that are more relevant from the proper forum.
Cool, you must be a joy to have a conversation with. Unlike yourself, I can read. Furthermore, I can even read beyond the first couple words of a sentence. You should try this forum. https://www.additudemag.com/forums/

I did search and from my post, you can see there aren't people using these single din units on the e90 because there are vehicle specific units. I tried one of those units and did not like the placement of the screen and relocating the hvac controls and loosing the heated seat buttons. Thus, my searches brought me here. Hope you were able to read all this without hitting the quote button and splicing irrelevant sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie Blue View Post
The screws are tiny and only around 1/4" long if I remember correctly, so I don't think you'll be able to add any washers. I have attached a pic from the joyingauto.com website. However, a single DIN unit can actually be mounted at 2 different depths, where you see the 2 square latch holes on the side of the unit. Mine is actually mounted with the latch hole that allows the unit to protrude out more, and the ribbon cable on the back of the screen rests on the aluminum trim piece because I raised it to clear the climate controls. You can see this in the photos in the first post.
Thanks for the "useful" and on topic feedback. I did contact Joying and they do have an extension bracket that adds another 9mm to the screen. I wasn't aware of being able to mount the unit further out. I measured my dash and the HU is recessed almost exactly 20mm so it might be a tight fit. I think I would need a couple more mm's to be safe. I see you got the PDC functioning with a different harness. They will also sell their BMW specific wiring harness with a universal unit. I'm just confirming all the features for the model specific unit would carry over. I don't want to lose PDC.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #82
cdugas4
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Cool, you must be a joy to have a conversation with. Unlike yourself, I can read. Furthermore, I can even read beyond the first couple words of a sentence. You should try this forum. https://www.additudemag.com/forums/

I did search and from my post, you can see there aren't people using these single din units on the e90 because there are vehicle specific units. I tried one of those units and did not like the placement of the screen and relocating the hvac controls and loosing the heated seat buttons. Thus, my searches brought me here. Hope you were able to read all this without hitting the quote button and splicing irrelevant sections.
Geez, sorry man I was just trying to be helpful. I did read your post but admittedly I obviously misunderstood what you were looking for.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #83
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks to these posts that sparked my idea about using a joying unit. I did a quick DIY as my way of giving back. I have a more in depth review I will post soon too. Thanks to everyone who has shared their info!

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...6#post26341566

Direct Youtube DIY below.

Appreciate 1
dtla1827.50
      05-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #84
choboy9242
Rep
Drives: 128i convert

Figured I'd add to this thread.

Couldn't hold it in, bought the biggest one they have cause I don't use heat in the winter like wim hof.
Lets hope the install goes smooth.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:48 AM   #85
g0atb0y_71
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Has anyone that installed this (or another android HU) run into an issue where all notifications are muted?

On mine there doesn't appear to be a sound/volume section under settings at all. It's not a big deal but certainly a bit odd.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 02:33 AM   #86
mileswalker168
mileswalker168
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Thanks for sharing your experience

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Joying 8" single DIN head unit. It sounds like a great upgrade with loads of features and a backup camera. If you're interested in exploring more options for flip-out head units, you might want to check out CarAudioWise's guide on the Best Flip Out Head Units. This guide covers top-rated models from trusted brands like Pioneer, Kenwood, and JVC, and includes detailed reviews and analysis to help you choose the perfect unit for your needs. You can find the guide at https://www.caraudiowise.com/best-flip-out-head-units. Happy upgrading!
Appreciate 0