BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2016, 04:16 AM   #45
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

CIC Navigation Professional Retrofit

Previously have the M-ASK Business Navigation system on my car. Mine is a Oct 2008 build so it came with a pre-lci Business Navigation system with the LCI controller (commonly known as a CIC controller)

Its actually not a bad system, despite being a cut down version of the professional CCC nav. The CCC system is an absolute pig, very laggy and slow. The business nav in my car is very responsive and going through the menus you never encounter lag. The downsides are lack of map updates and the fact that zooming in and out of the map is slow with the DVD based system. The screen is only 6.5" so its quite tiny.

I never use the navigation system for guidance but I do love having the map on the screen so I have more situational awareness on the road. Can use it in the twisty roads to see what kind of corner is coming up, or simply find my way out of the city to freeway without having to grab the phone for guidance where I already know 90% of the route home anyway.

Music integration is pretty poor with the M-ASK system too. Cheap bluetooth audio inputs work but don't allow track skipping or show the current song. Only thing that works is the Tune2air which is pretty pricey. The OEM combox can be sourced for not that much more than the Tune2air but only works on LCI navigation.

Have been on the lookout for a good deal on a CIC system, with the intention of adding combox to it. Saw a great deal on Gumtree in Sydney and titium was awesome in taking it down to Melb for me!

Was a full kit:
- CIC 8.8 screen
- bimmerretrofit.com emulator harness (with controller and screen power cables integrated)
- CIC nav unit
- CIC controller
- PATA 128GB SSD (good upgrade for the crappy HDD)
- USB glovebox cable and port

Easy install, only took a couple hours. Coded it myself. I have fitted a few of these units to some 3 series and happy to say the 1 series is even easier to fit it all. Ultimately it is not a massive upgrade for me (just bigger screen, newer and faster maps) but will be doing a combox retrofit to get some Bluetooth audio streaming and the other handy features it has. For a CCC system, this is a massive upgrade due to the lagginess of the CCC. The responsiveness is worth it alone.

For the DIY, it was pretty straightforward. The only thing I did was to desolder the grey wires from the emulator harness, these wires are for the screen's power cable and the cable for the controller. As my car already has nav, it already had the wiring and all I had to do was to transfer the CIC's screen new style plug onto my old plug. Using the factory wiring is a cleaner solution.

Coding was straightforward, at first the screen just showed a white screen but came good after coding. All I did was change my production date to 09/09, remove $606 (business nav) and added $609, and $6VA (pro navigation option codes). Adding these codes will allow you to code the CIC components, I coded the screen, nav unit and controller, didn't even have to execute FA_WRITE (didn't write the vehicle order to CAS and FRM)
Attached Images

Last edited by vtl; 10-24-2016 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #46
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Looking schmick
Did you have to cut out the dash to fit in a bigger screen unit or does it fit in the OEM one?
Appreciate 1
vtl1492.00
      10-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #47
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator335i View Post
Looking schmick
Did you have to cut out the dash to fit in a bigger screen unit or does it fit in the OEM one?
Yep just fits in the existing dash cutout.

The storage tray, 6.5" screen, 8.5" all use the same cutout in the dash.
      10-23-2016, 12:33 AM   #48
nompower
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: german turbo taxi

Nice!
Does the cic have dab+ radio or is that an additional module?
Appreciate 1
vtl1492.00
      10-23-2016, 02:04 AM   #49
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

My cic unit doesn't have dab+, haven't seen many units for sale that had it. Think you can add it as an additional module though, haven't looked into it
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 02:48 AM   #50
nompower
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
My cic unit doesn't have dab+, haven't seen many units for sale that had it. Think you can add it as an additional module though, haven't looked into it
No worries. Have been listening to dab on the toyota and was wondering how hard it would be to add it to a 2010 cic.
Then again, I think my build date also missed out on the combox by 3 months..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 05:35 AM   #51
thezone135i
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Volvo S60 R-Design Polestar

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Looks great vtl, cant wait to see it in the flesh! No doubt you were inspired by my 7" integrated Garmin : )
Appreciate 1
vtl1492.00
      10-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #52
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Installed AFE Magnum Pro5R oiled filter, just wanted a fresh filter since my current filter is already a few years old.

I have a BMC high flow panel filter which was great, but these filters take forever to clean and you probably won't get every last speck of dust out of it.

I think next time i'll just buy another BMC filter, the BMC's silicone moulding is a perfect fit, the AFE is not as good and requires some massaging to get the thing to seat. I also noticed that there was a loose wire stuck in the panel filter! That would have been bad if it got into the engine. Was also some bits of loose cottons strands in the filter too that I had to pick out.

Not really impressed so far with the AFE filter, have not driven it yet so will need to update again, although I doubt there will be any improvement.
Attached Images

10-25-2016, 12:14 AM   #53
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just a few thoughts on the CIC system so far:

- Not as responsive as NBT, sometimes takes quite a while for NAV to pop up. Definitely need to image the HDD and swap to the SSD

- The Diamond and Star buttons on the steering wheel are not longer configurable, on the LCI cars this is replaced by an audio source button and climate control recirculation toggle button. Complete waste of buttons! Ridiculous you can't program them like you could before.

Old buttons:

New :

- Since upgrading to CIC, you do not have the ability to select SOFT - MEDIUM - INTENSIVE climate control modes by tapping the AUTO button on the climate control. It only has a single climate control mode. I found this feature handy to increase or decrease the airflow. I think this is handled in the LCI climate control input but would need to play with an LCI car to find out, anyone know?
      10-25-2016, 02:34 AM   #54
nompower
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Wasn't even aware of those modes in my lci.
I adjust the fan intensity/sensitivity? with the fan speed buttons on the dash console when in auto mode. Is that what you mean?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 03:16 AM   #55
PG
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Overall is it worth the cost vinny so far?

I still find ccc is quite quick and simple (I just have a usb of music that instantly starts) and the nav is ok, Bluetooth for phone is quick as well. I use the diamond and star buttons to flip the screen closed (for driving at night on the highway as I don't like a massive screen glaring at me) and one for mute.
I have my phone magnet mounted to the air vent as well which I use occasionally I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:49 AM   #56
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nompower View Post
Wasn't even aware of those modes in my lci.
I adjust the fan intensity/sensitivity? with the fan speed buttons on the dash console when in auto mode. Is that what you mean?
In my climate control, if you press the fan intensity it takes it out of Auto, I guess thats the difference! Maybe ill look into see what the fan settings do on my unit now. I was considering just upgrading to the later style climate control unit because it has the 'all' button. I hate the dual zone climate control can't lock both the temperatures together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG View Post
Overall is it worth the cost vinny so far?

I still find ccc is quite quick and simple (I just have a usb of music that instantly starts) and the nav is ok, Bluetooth for phone is quick as well. I use the diamond and star buttons to flip the screen closed (for driving at night on the highway as I don't like a massive screen glaring at me) and one for mute.
I have my phone magnet mounted to the air vent as well which I use occasionally I guess.
I actually like having the screen on all the time with the map displaying, the feature I use the most with idrive

Whenever I used the CCC units in 3 series cars there was a massive lag to get into the option menu and generally navigating the interface (up to 1 entire second before the menu loads). For me it was worth it because I got the entire kit for $800. Normally these things cost $1150 shipped for only the screen/controller/nav unit. Theres at least a another $200 in the emulator, usb port and cables plus labour if you can't DIY it. In that case thats a lot of money and still havent got a combox, I wouldn't think its worth it at that price.
      10-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #57
questionable
S50B32
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 318is

Hey vince have you looked into the combox retrofit ? i have done the cic upgrade like you have but wanting combox now rather badly.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #58
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionable View Post
Hey vince have you looked into the combox retrofit ? i have done the cic upgrade like you have but wanting combox now rather badly.
Yep, I've retrofitted a combox to an e90 320d before, wasn't hard. Just need to repin the plug that goes from your existing bluetooth unit and swap in the connector thats compatible with the combox. The only thing is BMW apps won't work without an FSC code

So either your CIC unit has to have come out of a car that originally came with a combox or you gotta purchase an FSC code. To load the FSC code onto the combox requires an ICOM cable and FStool, both of which I have but never had the opportunity to use them.

Ultimately not sure if BMW apps is worth the extra money, might actually be more cost effective to buy another CIC nav unit that came out of a car that had combox and 6NR BMW apps installed, then sell off your current nav unit.
      10-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #59
questionable
S50B32
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 318is

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Yep, I've retrofitted a combox to an e90 320d before, wasn't hard. Just need to repin the plug that goes from your existing bluetooth unit and swap in the connector thats compatible with the combox. The only thing is BMW apps won't work without an FSC code

So either your CIC unit has to have come out of a car that originally came with a combox or you gotta purchase an FSC code. To load the FSC code onto the combox requires an ICOM cable and FStool, both of which I have but never had the opportunity to use them.

Ultimately not sure if BMW apps is worth the extra money, might actually be more cost effective to buy another CIC nav unit that came out of a car that had combox and 6NR BMW apps installed, then sell off your current nav unit.
Roger, and to get Digital radio to function is it another modual of some sort ?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #60
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionable View Post
Roger, and to get Digital radio to function is it another modual of some sort ?
There's aftermarket dab modules you can plug into the optical bus (very expensive), or you need to get a CIC that had DAB+ but these are rare. I think you'd be better off streaming digital radio from your phone instead.
      11-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #61
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Updated maps in my CIC, didn't really need it since I already had 2015 maps but I already had Australia 2016 premium on USB from one of my friends.

New maps require an FSC code. Even if you have the maps on USB you won't be able to load them on without the FSC enabling code. I had the Australian Premium 2016 map data on USB but did not have an FSC code for my car.

There's a few ways of doing this yourself without paying someone.

Ultimately you need to get the 1B file out of the CIC unit, which you can then use a key generator to make the FSC code for the maps. This ONLY works for maps and will not work for combox BMW apps FSCs.

To get the data out of the CIC unit you have a few options:

- Get a USB->ethernet adapter and plug it into the glovebox, then FTP into the CIC to get the 1B file out
- Physically wire in the ethernet lines into the harness and OBDII plug (cars with CIC from factory would already have this) and use an ENET cable to do the same as above
- Use an ICOM cable and use a software utility to read the file

I have previously invested in an ICOM cable for working on BMWs so I went with that, luckily its the easiest option without stuffing around with FTP access. Do a google search for SWIDReader to dump the 1B file. Then used the tools to generate my own FSC (after editing the XML file for a new entry for Australia Premium 2016)

For some reason, the VIN stored in my CIC unit was out of a BMW F10 528i! The production date of the CIC unit is 1 year older than the production date for the car and I was under the impression CIC units from F series cars were different. Maybe a vendor has flashed this CIC unit to an F series VIN that was fully loaded with options. According to the VIN, the 528i VIN has BMW apps and combox. Didn't really care about BMW apps but if it works without paying for an FSC that will be an added bonus

Very handy as I have already ordered a combox and just waiting for the postage:
Attached Images

11-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #62
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Some pics from my recent trip to Tas.

The 135i performed flawlessly. It was a perfect package that drove brilliantly and the handling was sublime. The Bilstein B12s are on the stiff side, still perfectly fine for daily driving, but its the performance driving is where they shine. High speed bumps and dips in the road no problems, the whole package worked brilliantly, no scrubbing or bottoming out.

Easily fit space saver wheel, 20L fuel tank and full size suitcase in the boot with space to spare. Excellent car, best road trip I have ever been on.
Attached Images

11-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #63
walkie86
Frog Lover
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E87 130i

Awesome mate - your car would be awesome down there! How good is Tassie? Best road trip I've ever done too (in 2011)
Appreciate 1
vtl1492.00
      11-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #64
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkie86 View Post
Awesome mate - your car would be awesome down there! How good is Tassie? Best road trip I've ever done too (in 2011)
Yeah magical place, here the full thread with pictures:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292623
      11-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #65
walkie86
Frog Lover
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E87 130i

Thanks for the link - great coverage. Brings back so many memories!

Wish I lived in Melbourne to make the journey over so much more tolerable. If I ever became mega rich, I'd have a sweet holiday house over on the isolated west coast, with a couple of cars set up for fast road resting in the garage - probably an RS Clio 182, Evo VI and E46 M3 I reckon
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #66
Cavs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

What the latest dvd map available for the ccc business set up? I think I've still got the one that came with the car back in 08...
Appreciate 0