BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e82 n52

Garage List
GA6L45R Fluid Change at 163,000...slight slipping now/scratchy noise now...issue???

Alright, so I just did what I'm pretty sure is the first fluid and filter change on my 2010 128i with the GM auto transmission. I was getting the transmission fluid deteriorate code with Carly and figured rather than simply adding some fluid, I would change the filter and fluid because I had been putting it off for some time. I went with what both FCPEuro and Bavauto recommended for the transmission, the Liqui Moly Top Tec 1800 fluid (Dexron VI). Since replacing, thus far, I have only been able to get the amount of fluid we took out, back into the transmission (about 4 liters), and since changing, I'm hearing a strange somewhat scratching noise in 2nd and 3rd gear and I'm pretty sure but wondering if anyone can corroborate, that it might be slipping a bit because when accelerating in the higher gears, it almost feels like I have a slight miss. The coils and plugs are both fairly new and it just started after changing the fluid so I'm thinking that could definitely be what's happening. Also, does anyone think an additive could help remedy the situation and if so, what one should I go with??? Any help on the scratching noise and the additive would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I guess I'm just wondering if the scratchy noise I'm hearing means it could still be a little low on fluid?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Did you top off the fluid with the car running and the fluid at the specified temperature (I think it's 30 - 50 deg C but confirm this)?
      12-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Did you top off the fluid with the car running and the fluid at the specified temperature (I think it's 30 - 50 deg C but confirm this)?
I drained it a second time (wanted to do that anyway to get more old fluid out) and did exactly that. Idk why but none of the DIY's I've found, including the one on this forum, mentioned anything about leaving the car running, just to start it and run through the gears and go at it again. I talked to a transmission repair shop and they mentioned leaving the car running and they were so very right about it. I was able to fit 7 liters into the tranny this time as opposed to the 4 liters the first time around, with it running. Additionally, I used an IR temp gun to gauge the pan between 80 and 120 degrees F as stated by the Bentley manual. Thing is as smooth as can be now, no damage caused thank God!!! We only took out 4 liters in the first place too so I was obviously low to begin with.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoop269 View Post
I drained it a second time (wanted to do that anyway to get more old fluid out) and did exactly that. Idk why but none of the DIY's I've found, including the one on this forum, mentioned anything about leaving the car running, just to start it and run through the gears and go at it again. I talked to a transmission repair shop and they mentioned leaving the car running and they were so very right about it. I was able to fit 7 liters into the tranny this time as opposed to the 4 liters the first time around, with it running. Additionally, I used an IR temp gun to gauge the pan between 80 and 120 degrees F as stated by the Bentley manual. Thing is as smooth as can be now, no damage caused thank God!!! We only took out 4 liters in the first place too so I was obviously low to begin with.
Good result. Probably no permanent damage if it's shifting fine. I think the GM transmissions are pretty durable.