BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #221
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersteuer View Post
New wheels look good, they look very similar to the Style 216's that you had before.
Yeah, they're not too dissimilar! The AERO-7's have a good bit more concavity to them that's a little easier to appreciate from an angle (the rears are even deeper due to the extra inch of overall wheel width, but you get the idea):

Name:  IMG_0396.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  423.3 KB

Tha main thing, of course, is how light they are: 19# up front and 20# in back. Not as good as my 17" ARC-8's (17# all around), but still much better than the Style 216's (~28#, IIRC).

Plus I'm really pleased with the color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I wSnt that big s fan of the Aero-7 but seeing them on your car they look good. A bit of 90s retro.
Something a little different, I think.
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #222
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Well, those numbers are STD corrected, meaning that they are 2% higher than SAE. Wonder why your numbers (234whp SAE) are so low? Because you use the stock intake.
Well, I use the Performance intake, but I'm using the US-spec airbox with the charcoal filter intact, if that's what you mean?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #223
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Well, I use the Performance intake, but I'm using the US-spec airbox with the charcoal filter intact, if that's what you mean?
Please don't resurrect the ghost of "charcoal deletes" past.
      01-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #224
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

How big of a difference does the performance intake have on the sound? I tried finding videos of it a while back but it's hard to tell from YouTube videos and there doesn't seem to be much video on the intake. I sort of want to get better induction noise on my car but it seems like a lot of the intakes have some sort of caveat like not fitting well, loses horse power, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 12:11 AM   #225
Suhb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
How big of a difference does the performance intake have on the sound? I tried finding videos of it a while back but it's hard to tell from YouTube videos and there doesn't seem to be much video on the intake. I sort of want to get better induction noise on my car but it seems like a lot of the intakes have some sort of caveat like not fitting well, loses horse power, etc.
Performance intake comes with a channel that directs induction noise directly into the cabin. It makes a pretty noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #226
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
AFE SI doesn't lose power, who told you that?
Read somewhere that there were fitment issues. Could be wrong since it's hard to know if people are posting about the sealed intake or open intake version sometimes. Anyway, don't want to derail bimmerbob's thread too much. Just wanted his thoughts on his performance intake vs stock in terms of purely sound differences.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #227
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
car looks awesome with the new wheels. The bmw performance bumper and skirts also look great.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #228
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Delete the charcoal filter, replace the hose and that's over 5whp+ by itself.
At this point, I'm not too concerned with chasing down an alleged 5HP that may have been left on the table. I'm not convinced that the charcoal filter is to blame, but one of these days I'll probably get around to removing it to find out. Right now I've got bigger projects to worry about. Besides, the way I see it, I should be making at least 280HP at the crank, i.e. +50HP from stock - so I'm pretty pleased.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhb View Post
Performance intake comes with a channel that directs induction noise directly into the cabin. It makes a pretty noticeable difference.
Honestly, it's been so long I don't really remember how much different it sounds with the intake versus without. I mean, I recall it being noticeable, but it wasn't as dramatic as I expected it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
car looks awesome with the new wheels. The bmw performance bumper and skirts also look great.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #229
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Yeah, they're not too dissimilar! The AERO-7's have a good bit more concavity to them that's a little easier to appreciate from an angle (the rears are even deeper due to the extra inch of overall wheel width, but you get the idea):

Tha main thing, of course, is how light they are: 19# up front and 20# in back. Not as good as my 17" ARC-8's (17# all around), but still much better than the Style 216's (~28#, IIRC).

Plus I'm really pleased with the color

Something a little different, I think.
The Aero 7 is badass! This thread is making want to put mine on asap. BTW, Apex is now officially sold out of them!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #230
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is the last time I'll comment on this matter, because if you don't care enough to do it the right way, I shouldn't care what you do. But yeah, at this point your intake side is the bottle neck, It's a restriction and can lead to potentially BIGGER gains than just the 5hp that the intake would have normally gained.

Example: the RSX S a friend had was running a consistent 14.4- 14.6 at around 97mph. Even though the exhaust on it own was only worth 5hp, after adding on the other bolt on parts (and a tune) changing the exhaust alone accounted for a reduction of .3 seconds and 3mph.

We actually saw this SAME thing happen with tetsuo111 changed the intake on his car to the effect of 18whp. Will your gains be as significant? Who knows, but it will be better than it is now.

You want to chase AA down to adjust AFR for 1hp, and not take 5 minutes to do something that is indefinitely more beneficial, that's on you.
Doing it "the right way" is something that is purely subjective, and since it's my car, I'm going to go ahead and go with my way. Feel free to do whatever you like with your car, and let me know when you've got headers, a tune, etc.

Honestly, we're talking about such an insignificant amount of "potential" power at this point (around 2% of current total) that it almost doesn't even merit discussion. I'm skeptical that removal of the charcoal filter element will net even an additional 5HP, but 18HP?!? Come on.

That said, I probably will eventually get around to playing with the intake path (as I've said multiple times). It's just not a priority for me right now, for (maybe) 5HP. I've got bigger fish in the kettle, for one thing, but also a busy work and family life that makes it hard to wash my car as often as I'd like, much less pull the airbox and Dremel out a filter (did I mention I don't own a Dremel?). When I do eventaully get around to it, I will probably try and source a Euro airbox & Euro Performance intake for a nice clean, OEM install. And I promise I'll get a dyno after.

As far as "chas[ing] AA down to adjust AFR," well, that was as simple as exchanging a couple of emails and uploading a file. And had I known the end result was going to be +1HP, I probably wouldn't have even gone through that much effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
The Aero 7 is badass! This thread is making want to put mine on asap. BTW, Apex is now officially sold out of them!
Woohoo! Collectors items! Seriously, though, they're nice wheels. What color do you have and why aren't they on your car yet? Or are they summer wheels or something?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #231
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
This is the last time I'll comment on this matter, because if you don't care enough to do it the right way, I shouldn't care what you do. .
Are you mad he won't modify his car the way you want him to?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #232
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I actually wasn't trolling. You just seemed mad.
      01-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #233
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh, boy.

This side of the forum is hopeless. Good job trying to troll.

Like I said op, do whatever you want, car looks nice.

I'd like to correct you though, as I've already DONE all of this already and came out with similar numbers with LESS mods:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=918378&page=7

'stock' vs modified intake

and intake, manifold and tune:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1116698

never did my final header + retune run, but you can assume whatever you want
Look, I'm not at all interested in playing Internet Dyno Wars, especially against a car that you totalled. I'm not sure why you seem to be taking this so personally.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #234
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Always thought your car was the nicest looking 128i I've seen here.
      01-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #235
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Always thought your car was the nicest looking 128i I've seen here.
Thanks, man!

Quote:
Know what, not worth it.
That's too bad, because I actually respect and value your input, insofar as it is constructive and congenial. But being repetitious and abrasive sort of makes it difficult to focus on the content of what you have to say, particularly when I wasn't even disagreeing with you (i.e., there are likely gains to be had with an intake swap).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #236
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

DYNO GAINZ aside, 'tis a nice combination of red, yellow & gold.

I like Apex wheels; too bad they don't do CSL rims... I'd be all over those. Though EC-7's would not look bad either!
      01-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #237
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, it's been so long I don't really remember how much different it sounds with the intake versus without. I mean, I recall it being noticeable, but it wasn't as dramatic as I expected it to be.
Thanks for the honest opinion. Oh well, I'll probably just keep punting this decision to next year or something. Still got shocks/springs/coilovers, camber plates, LSD, and headers + tune higher up on my priority list anyway. Only thing is I really do like hearing a nice induction sound and the possibility of getting that is pretty tempting, even if it's just superfluous.

Also +1 to the Aero 7 wheels looking nice. That colour combination with the wheel design look good. Honestly, I knew it looked good in pictures in isolation but I wasn't sure how it would fit with your red and black car but man it does look nice.

Edit: Sorry if you already answered this in the thread but I couldn't find it. Are you using the springs that come with the Ohlins R&T coilover kit or did you get swift springs?

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Last edited by Fume; 01-16-2016 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #238
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
DYNO GAINZ aside, 'tis a nice combination of red, yellow & gold.
Quote:
Also +1 to the Aero 7 wheels looking nice. That colour combination with the wheel design look good. Honestly, I knew it looked good in pictures in isolation but I wasn't sure how it would fit with your red and black car but man it does look nice.
Thanks guys! I'm really digging the color combo as well. I think the bronze has a nice depth to it. I wasn't sure if the red, bronze, and gold would clash or not, as they're all sort of loud and rich - but on the contrary, I think they complement each other well somehow.

Quote:
Edit: Sorry if you already answered this in the thread but I couldn't find it. Are you using the springs that come with the Ohlins R&T coilover kit or did you get swift springs?
I'm on Swift springs. The Öhlins-supplied springs have two problems: length and rate.

The front springs are too long for the 128i - they might work on a heavier 3 Series or 135i (the kit fits both 1 and 3 Series cars), but on the 128i the lighter front end doesn't compress the springs enough and there is a stock-sized wheel gap with the perches set all the way down. I wanted a little less of a gap, but more importantly I can't run with the perches all the way down because I won't be able to fit 245 section width tires up front that way. The rates are fine, though.

The rear springs have the exact opposite problem: length is fine, but rates are way off. For a street-driven car, especially one that's still on stiff run-flat tires and squishy rear subframe bushings, the lower rates are probably fine. But if you're going to be doing autocross or track days, you'll probably be happier with a stiffer spring in the back.

I'm right around 400# in front & 700# in back (I think the Swifts are actually 392# & 672#, respectively, since they're metric. Although now that I think about it, I actually have 400# Eibachs in front at the moment, because I was testing out different springs, but I'll eventually swap the Swifts back in).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #239
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Doing it "the right way" is something that is purely subjective, and since it's my car, I'm going to go ahead and go with my way. Feel free to do whatever you like with your car, and let me know when you've got headers, a tune, etc.

Honestly, we're talking about such an insignificant amount of "potential" power at this point (around 2% of current total) that it almost doesn't even merit discussion. I'm skeptical that removal of the charcoal filter element will net even an additional 5HP, but 18HP?!? Come on.

That said, I probably will eventually get around to playing with the intake path (as I've said multiple times). It's just not a priority for me right now, for (maybe) 5HP. I've got bigger fish in the kettle, for one thing, but also a busy work and family life that makes it hard to wash my car as often as I'd like, much less pull the airbox and Dremel out a filter (did I mention I don't own a Dremel?). When I do eventaully get around to it, I will probably try and source a Euro airbox & Euro Performance intake for a nice clean, OEM install. And I promise I'll get a dyno after.

As far as "chas[ing] AA down to adjust AFR," well, that was as simple as exchanging a couple of emails and uploading a file. And had I known the end result was going to be +1HP, I probably wouldn't have even gone through that much effort.

Woohoo! Collectors items! Seriously, though, they're nice wheels. What color do you have and why aren't they on your car yet? Or are they summer wheels or something?
Haha it's an investment now!

Because it's winter here in PA, I have my 16" winter wheels on now. They're going on ASAP come spring though. I bought Hyper Silver to match my chrome grills and window trim
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #240
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So this happened...

Name:  LSD.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  358.9 KB
Appreciate 3
      01-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #241
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
So this happened...

Nice! Quaife? Going to get one, too, when I get around to ponying up for the LSD.
      01-21-2016, 04:42 PM   #242
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Nice! Quaife? Going to get one, too, when I get around to ponying up for the LSD.
Nope, it's a Performance Gearing clutch-type LSD. The cover is a BMW OE part for an E60.
Appreciate 0