BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #23
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Its a fine car to daily . After 2 years (got mine in August 2011).. today I just passed 20,000 Kms @DrShimmy
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #24
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Just get the 1M or you'll surely regret IMO, *its the best thing ever happen to us lol
      08-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #25
GreenLantern
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

This isn't related to any of your questions (and, apologies for that)... My biggest complaint about the 135is vs a 1M is the fact that the 135is has a non-M interior/dash/gauge cluster. I find the non-M E9x and E8x gauge cluster incredibly boring. And, since I spend most of my time in the car while driving it, I put a lot of value on interior excitement.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #26
GreenLantern
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

One additional comment on the interior of the 135is... I strongly suspect that its replacement, the M235i (SOP slated for mid-Nov 2013), will have a more inspiring gauge cluster given the new F3x's interior.

The "classic" all-amber glow just didn't do it for me. (Hence my affinity for the M interior treatment.)

Granted, it's going to be a little while before dealers can/will discount the M235i, so I can't really advocate waiting over taking delivery of one of the last 135is's that you have on order.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
One additional comment on the interior of the 135is... I strongly suspect that its replacement, the M235i (SOP slated for mid-Nov 2013), will have a more inspiring gauge cluster given the new F3x's interior.

The "classic" all-amber glow just didn't do it for me. (Hence my affinity for the M interior treatment.)

Granted, it's going to be a little while before dealers can/will discount the M235i, so I can't really advocate waiting over taking delivery of one of the last 135is's that you have on order.
HAHA....i have to say I am the same as you about the 'small' details such as interior trimmings, etc...and although they are minor things they do annoy me. I do, for example, find it extremely irritating that the 1M has orange stitching on the leather and alcantara and then has M-stripe red white and blue stitching on the steering wheel. Completely unacceptable!! I do like the 1M interior trimmings otherwise though.....but after the 1M, i think the 135is has the best trim with the beautiful black leather with blue stitching....quite choice IMO!

as for the M235i, i'm not really interested. i LOVE the way the E82 1-series looks....i've wanted one since it first came out....and from what i see in the 2-series spy shots----it is an uninspired and generic looking car. Engineering-wise, i'm sure it is 'superior'....whatever that means these days. For me, cars are about the combination of aesthetics, imagination, performance, and character. I think both the 1M and the 135is have LOTS of character.....as do the 135i and 128i even...for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #28
GreenLantern
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

100% agreed with respect to the way the E81 1-series looks. The new 2 definitely looks much more generic (to me). I could see myself DD'ing an M235i, or an M2 (when it's finally announced), but I highly doubt I'd lust after them the way I lusted / still lust after the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #29
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
to everyone else: thanks for all your feedback!! i have only 2-3 weeks til my 135is arrives....my eyes are peeled for a VO or BSM 1M around the $50k price range.....as of now i cannot find one. I have only found White ones....but honestly i'm not much of a White-car kinda guy...

with each day.....it looks less and less likely i'll be getting a 1M...unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #30
GreenLantern
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
I do, for example, find it extremely irritating that the 1M has orange stitching on the leather and alcantara and then has M-stripe red white and blue stitching on the steering wheel. Completely unacceptable!!
Could not agree more. I even entertained the idea of getting the steering wheel re-stitched if I ended up getting a 1M.

Quote:
I do like the 1M interior trimmings otherwise though.....but after the 1M, i think the 135is has the best trim with the beautiful black leather with blue stitching....quite choice IMO!
Yup. This is what I find incredibly boring, though: http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

It's easy enough to change everything else... shifter, steering wheel, pedals. But the gauge cluster? Ugh. That's painful to change.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #31
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
it's 2014 and I am resurrecting this thread. sorry!

well.....strange how some of you WARNED me about this.

It's been 9 months since I picked up my 135is and as of today i have a deposit down on a used 1M. I have to decide by tomorrow. I am 90% sure I want it....but my 10% doubts are coming in the fear that shit will break after I cross 50k miles and go out of warranty. lol

I was not able to forget about the 1M. I guess this is my punishment? lol. the 135is is a fantastic, fantastic car.....but something about the 1M is 'special' and I need one....

25k miles a year will get put on this car once I get it....and I have no shame doing that at all! what do you guys think? Will it hold up well in heavy commuting?? Any further thoughts since you wrote some of these replies 9-10 months ago?

I'd be buying this car to enjoy it every single day....not as an 'investment'
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #32
E821M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/330CI ZHP

Quote:
it's 2014 and I am resurrecting this thread. sorry!

well.....strange how some of you WARNED me about this.

It's been 9 months since I picked up my 135is and as of today i have a deposit down on a used 1M. I have to decide by tomorrow. I am 90% sure I want it....but my 10% doubts are coming in the fear that shit will break after I cross 50k miles and go out of warranty. lol

I was not able to forget about the 1M. I guess this is my punishment? lol. the 135is is a fantastic, fantastic car.....but something about the 1M is 'special' and I need one....

25k miles a year will get put on this car once I get it....and I have no shame doing that at all! what do you guys think? Will it hold up well in heavy commuting?? Any further thoughts since you wrote some of these replies 9-10 months ago?

I'd be buying this car to enjoy it every single day....not as an 'investment'
My advice would be to go ahead and get the 1M, provided everything checks out. Save some money for a period of time, and then get some cheap (used) reliable transportation to drive to work and keep the miles down. Since you put a good bit of miles on your car in your daily commute to and from work, it would seem to me that you probably do a lot of highway/interstate driving. I know you would be buying this car to enjoy and I tip my hat to you in regards to that, but in all honesty the most enjoyment you will get out of this car will be driving on roads other than highways/interstates. That's where this car really shines, of course I am sure you are aware of that since you already have a 135is, which I would apply the same thought process to as well. I speak from experience since this is the exact same scenario I was faced with when I got my 1M. I drive 50+ miles for work each day and the thought of having to waste all of those miles doing interstate driving was something that didn't sit very well with me. So I saved up some money for a period of time and bought another car to drive back and forth to work. I am not sure of the exact specifics of your situation, but if this is something doable for you some time down the road it would definitely be something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #33
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E821M View Post
My advice would be to go ahead and get the 1M, provided everything checks out. Save some money for a period of time, and then get some cheap (used) reliable transportation to drive to work and keep the miles down. Since you put a good bit of miles on your car in your daily commute to and from work, it would seem to me that you probably do a lot of highway/interstate driving. I know you would be buying this car to enjoy and I tip my hat to you in regards to that, but in all honesty the most enjoyment you will get out of this car will be driving on roads other than highways/interstates. That's where this car really shines, of course I am sure you are aware of that since you already have a 135is, which I would apply the same thought process to as well. I speak from experience since this is the exact same scenario I was faced with when I got my 1M. I drive 50+ miles for work each day and the thought of having to waste all of those miles doing interstate driving was something that didn't sit very well with me. So I saved up some money for a period of time and bought another car to drive back and forth to work. I am not sure of the exact specifics of your situation, but if this is something doable for you some time down the road it would definitely be something to consider.
thanks for your opinion.

i am a weird person and my philosophy is this:
i spend around 3 hours a day in the car commuting.....and although i drive on freeways i have always enjoyed my commute. It involves some city driving, some exit ramps....some freeways....some suburb driving and plenty of variety. It feels like an adventure every day and i must be a freak but i really enjoy my commute. The 135is has been fantastic during the commute....

my secret fantasy has been to spend these 3 hour commute periods in one of my 'dream cars' every day.....i work very hard at my job and often one of the best ways to "unwind" is to get in my car and drive.....i'm not sure this makes any sense, but i've realised that it is NOT a waste of money to drive a car during commuting...if anything, it's been one of the best decisions i've made to buy cars that entertain me to commute in!

Hence this is the philosophy that is pushing me to upgrade to a 1M. I know it might seem crazy to some.....but i feel like it makes me 'live for the day' rather than be bored all week just to live for the weekend!

i do have my 2001 Audi TT.....which is a lot of fun to drive....just need to get the A/C sorted out on it for the summer. I am a bit worried about 1M maintenance after it crosses 80k miles or so.....anyone have any thoughts on reliability?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #34
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by E821M View Post
thanks for your opinion.

i am a weird person and my philosophy is this:
i spend around 3 hours a day in the car commuting.....and although i drive on freeways i have always enjoyed my commute. It involves some city driving, some exit ramps....some freeways....some suburb driving and plenty of variety. It feels like an adventure every day and i must be a freak but i really enjoy my commute. The 135is has been fantastic during the commute....

my secret fantasy has been to spend these 3 hour commute periods in one of my 'dream cars' every day.....i work very hard at my job and often one of the best ways to "unwind" is to get in my car and drive.....i'm not sure this makes any sense, but i've realised that it is NOT a waste of money to drive a car during commuting...if anything, it's been one of the best decisions i've made to buy cars that entertain me to commute in!

Hence this is the philosophy that is pushing me to upgrade to a 1M. I know it might seem crazy to some.....but i feel like it makes me 'live for the day' rather than be bored all week just to live for the weekend!

i do have my 2001 Audi TT.....which is a lot of fun to drive....just need to get the A/C sorted out on it for the summer. I am a bit worried about 1M maintenance after it crosses 80k miles or so.....anyone have any thoughts on reliability?
+1 I'm the same way. I always skip taking the beltway and always choose the longer back roads home.
      06-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #35
Yellowceta
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
I'm sitting at just below 66k and have had to replace a few coil packs and a TPMS sensor in the driver's front. Other than that, it's been smooth sailing. My trip is very similar to yours in the variety and length. The worst thing about it is you might spend too much time in the 1M and start to lose the feeling of how special it really is. However, I found downshifting and moving quickly to the left lane is a surefire remedy for that
2011 1M - VO Florida pick up 11/4/11 #554 of 740 - Sold
2017 ATS-V Stock
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #36
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
The 1M can do all the things the 135is does, but it does it a tad more involving.

Use snowtyres in wintertime.

If you drive normally it also gets rather high MPG for its output.(understatement, went to Paris and back with 26MPG US/31UK)

Eating tyres depends on you. Same story with the 135is.

Just do it

Cheers
Robin
amazing picture.
      06-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #37
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowceta
I'm sitting at just below 66k and have had to replace a few coil packs and a TPMS sensor in the driver's front. Other than that, it's been smooth sailing. My trip is very similar to yours in the variety and length. The worst thing about it is you might spend too much time in the 1M and start to lose the feeling of how special it really is. However, I found downshifting and moving quickly to the left lane is a surefire remedy for that
thanks...really nice to know I'm not the only one who is putting the miles on!!! I can deal with small things like that....but german cars generally require some solid maintenance and prevention before shit starts to hit the fan----I just hope that this stuff won't drown me after heavy use.

Are you planning on keeping your car for a while?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #38
Yellowceta
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
As long as the wife doesn't force me out, I should be keeping it until I can no longer drive. I have been talking with a few people about life expectancy of the engine based on the annual mileage I'm racking up. They say the engine should be good for much longer than the turbos. I have only done mid pipes, Akra rear, and coilovers, but would love to go a tad bit further once I have a tune. I'm not worried about any of these drastically shortening the life. If anything, the tune may help out with mpg's a little
2011 1M - VO Florida pick up 11/4/11 #554 of 740 - Sold
2017 ATS-V Stock
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #39
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am at 70,640 miles and no warranty work ever required. I DO change out my own oil every 5,000 miles though, but beyond that nothing else yet. Also, I was fully modified and beat my car hard for about 65,000 miles of my car's life. She runs smooth as ever.
Have no worries or regrets about your decision!
      06-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #40
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonX View Post
I am at 70,640 miles and no warranty work ever required. I DO change out my own oil every 5,000 miles though, but beyond that nothing else yet. Also, I was fully modified and beat my car hard for about 65,000 miles of my car's life. She runs smooth as ever.
Have no worries or regrets about your decision!
fantastic! am really glad to read more of you with higher miles!!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #41
rick propas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M-Valencia

I'll add my yes. In June 2011 I was desperate to get a 1M. Long story short, I didn't but could not get the idea out of my mind. In November 2013, I got one with 2900 miles on it. Today it has 22,000, largely the result of an April-June 10,000 mile road trip through the American Southwest. I saw 130 mph more than once, drove through mountains, windstorms, was chased by an Audi R8 (unsuccessfully) through New Mexico's White mountains. None of this is exactly analogous to your commute, although I have been there and done that.

The bottom line is that never have I driven a vehicle nearly as competent and pleasurable. I felt safer and more secure at 130 in this car than at lower speeds in my Z3M. Plus it is vastly more comfortable and with great amenities.

I'm betting that in less than a year you will be singing the car a love song like this one.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 05:07 AM   #42
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick propas
I'll add my yes. In June 2011 I was desperate to get a 1M. Long story short, I didn't but could not get the idea out of my mind. In November 2013, I got one with 2900 miles on it. Today it has 22,000, largely the result of an April-June 10,000 mile road trip through the American Southwest. I saw 130 mph more than once, drove through mountains, windstorms, was chased by an Audi R8 (unsuccessfully) through New Mexico's White mountains. None of this is exactly analogous to your commute, although I have been there and done that.

The bottom line is that never have I driven a vehicle nearly as competent and pleasurable. I felt safer and more secure at 130 in this car than at lower speeds in my Z3M. Plus it is vastly more comfortable and with great amenities.

I'm betting that in less than a year you will be singing the car a love song like this one.
nice work putting on those miles!

it seems to be a consistent pattern that those who drive their cars a lot are still very much in love with the experience it offers....thanks for your input, sir!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #43
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

I put maybe 7,000 miles per year as my daily driver but wish I could put more on it! I really want to take it on a road trip from Northern Indiana to South Florida sometime but will have to get my wife to sign off on that...lol. It hurts her back just driving through town....lol! My 3yo would love it though and so would I, maybe take a detour through the tail of the dragon on the way down.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #44
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

You will have absolutely no regrets buying one as a daily, mine was bought for that purpose. I previously had a Golf GTI as the commuter and the old Nissan (which I will never get rid of) was the Track and weekend fun car.

Somehow though, more often than not, on a nice weekend with a twisty drive ahead of me, I inevitably reach for the keys to the M, it just fills both roles so incredibly well.

One thing it does spoil a little, is the experience you have at your destination, because I find myself looking forward so much to getting back in the car and driving home again so much.

And I dodge freeways like a kid dodges Green beans, I take the roads that let me accelerate, turn and brake, all the while the little M is barking at me..... Love it.

I've never kept a car for more than 3 or so years, but now I'm stuck, now I have two cars which I absolutely can't get rid of, and I just don't have space for another.

Life's hard eh.
Appreciate 0