CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Can the OP comment on how this worked out?
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #24
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I found limp mode with oil temp of 300F on track running a custom Cobb tune 2 years ago. I flashed to the Cobb OTS stage 1+ map and still found limp mode later that day when temps had climbed to 80+ ambient.

After that, I met with the guys at ADE and asked about their thermostat. Andy himself told me it is more for SHORT run racing like drag strip or autocross. Because the thermostat is almost always open, the oil temp stays lower at baseline which gives you a lower start point for a run. If you are putting load on the engine for prolonged periods of time (like a 20 minute track session), you need to increase cooling capacity which a modified thermostat does not do. Andy didn't think his thermostat would solve my issue and I appreciate that.

He quoted me a cost to install a larger oil cooler with larger plumbing from a plate that would bypass the stock thermostat housing allowing higher flow. There would be an externally adjustable thermostat to allow for a street and track setting. He also suggested, at the risk of selling me nothing that day, that switching from Cobb to MHD may help as MHD allows me to set lower coolant targets which can be changed with each flash.

Fast forward . . . I switched to MHD and will never look back. Other than the convenience of a small device that powers itself from the OBD port, Cobb offers NO advantages and their OTS maps suck compared to MHD. I have been using the "track" coolant setting for autocross and it maintains water temps at 165 degrees. I finally went to the track, twice recently and here is what I learned:

Ambient temps 75 degrees both days
Day 1: Ran Stage 1+ tune, oil temp reached approx. 275F within 5 minutes of starting session, never went any higher. I didn't monitor water temp that day.
Day 2: Ran Stage 2+ tune (WAY more fun). Oil temps essentially the same. Water temp peaked at about 221 degrees. (target was 165)

Clearly, I am overwhelming the radiator, but it still keeps water temps down enough to prevent oil overheating. I would prefer to use the "sport" coolant setting which targets about 210 degrees as that would be optimal if I knew it could be maintained over the duration of a session.

I planned already to change my water pump preventatively this winter and now I am going to do a radiator also. I have found a CSF unit through Turner for $449. Is anyone using this? Any other recommendations? It seems to me that my oil cooler may be fine if I can keep water temps down more effectively.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #25
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

It seems the consensus on 1addicts (and another BMW N54 website that gets auto-asterisked-out on this website) is that the CSF helps some but isn’t a panacea, which is somewhat disappointing.
Appreciate 0