BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
chik0240
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1M

Question Gear crunching damage

Hi all,

I've recently got a BMW 1M but on one occasion in a red light, I carelessly push the gear lever incomplete into the first gear position and thought I have done so completely, when I release the clutch to catch up I heard the dreadful metal tooth grinding like sound, surely I've instantly step back the clutch (like within a sec), going back to neutral and push the shifter fully into 1st and go on with the travel.

The car drives normally and nothing special feels to me (like when in gear if I put my palm on the lever barely noticeable vibration did happens, but that was there before I did the gear crunch).

My question is I am sure it's bad to the gearbox, but any idea or (touchwood) any experience from fellow owners?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by chik0240 View Post
Hi all,

I've recently got a BMW 1M but on one occasion in a red light, I carelessly push the gear lever incomplete into the first gear position and thought I have done so completely, when I release the clutch to catch up I heard the dreadful metal tooth grinding like sound, surely I've instantly step back the clutch (like within a sec), going back to neutral and push the shifter fully into 1st and go on with the travel.

The car drives normally and nothing special feels to me (like when in gear if I put my palm on the lever barely noticeable vibration did happens, but that was there before I did the gear crunch).

My question is I am sure it's bad to the gearbox, but any idea or (touchwood) any experience from fellow owners?
I've had it happen to me in 2nd gear . Yes not good but you can probably get away with it couple of times. If your trans oil is two years or more older. It couldn't hurt to swap it for fresh fluid as you might have some metal flakes circulating in the fluid. As I said don't go swapping you new fluid but if already older or you don't know the history. I would swap it for piece of mind. It's not terribly difficult and an independent can probably do it for $250. Dealer maybe $300. Just use BMW LT5. If you live in San Diego I might even have a couple of extra bottles as I've done it myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
chik0240
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I've had it happen to me in 2nd gear . Yes not good but you can probably get away with it couple of times. If your trans oil is two years or more older. It couldn't hurt to swap it for fresh fluid as you might have some metal flakes circulating in the fluid. As I said don't go swapping you new fluid but if already older or you don't know the history. I would swap it for piece of mind. It's not terribly difficult and an independent can probably do it for $250. Dealer maybe $300. Just use BMW LT5. If you live in San Diego I might even have a couple of extra bottles as I've done it myself.
Thanks dude, I actually lived in Hong Kong, will take my 1M to the dealer for some quick change, but just wonder if gear grinding occasionally on incomplete gear input is common or anyone got their gearbox seriously damaged with that?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by chik0240 View Post
Thanks dude, I actually lived in Hong Kong, will take my 1M to the dealer for some quick change, but just wonder if gear grinding occasionally on incomplete gear input is common or anyone got their gearbox seriously damaged with that?
It's happened to me on my three previous BMWs. Two E46s and my first 1M. Usually when I rushed the shift and usually in 2nd gear for me. I haven't had any damage from that happening once or twice.

I think you will be OK.

I am more careful now with my shifts on my current 1M and ZHP. The 2nd gear in my ZHP is getting pretty stiff but it has 130K miles and I'm the 3rd owner. My 1M is really good and I have never missed a shift in that one. It happens to people sometimes!

Now that it has happened to you, you can't undo it. The only thing you can do now is change the fluid in case there are tiny metal flakes in the oil that can increase wear over time. Just as a good precaution and maintenance thing but you will be OK if you do that. The gearbox is pretty strong.

I'll let other chime in now. Best wishes.
Appreciate 1
Esteban42173.50