BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #23
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

besides, that should not effect my FOB buttons from working.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #24
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

The antenna for the RFID are integrated into the door handles for CA. The window tint shouldn't have anything to do with it. I suspect what you guys have is a bad driver's side antenna.

Try the passenger side of the car to see if you get the same issues, just as a test. When you're in the car, the CA system expects to see the fob in between the two antenna, so one bad one could cause problems there as well.

I've got CA ordered on my car, and I'm really interested in hearing how this turns out. Thanks for the info all!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #25
Warpspeed
ONEZILA is here.
Rep
Drives:

Given that I would like to get tinting done, I will go with ceramic just because I think it may have less probablility to have interference, scientifically true or not.

Am I a sucker for great marketing or what! :wink:
      05-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #26
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

you arent a sucker for marketing, ceramic really is better. Btw, just read the receipt, its metallic I paid over 200 bucks for metallic. holy sweet rip off. But still, trunk shouldnt be effected, and does anyone else here have great success with it outside of your pocket? Because when I take it out of my pocket it seriously works 95% of the time. But like he said, the antenna is in the door handles and the trunk, which I already knew. Both remotes do it. I just dont want to get there and them say its my tint ALTHOUGH, it does not say ANYWHERE that tint will interfere with the CA system, so if it is the tint, I will request BMW to reimburse me for a new tint job :/ but I just cant see the engineers of the CA system to say ," theyre fucked if they use metallic tint, but eh, too late to change it or put a disclaimer"
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #27
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

OK, so, it has to be the antenna in the trunk and driver side door:
Went to the passenger door with the key on the opposite pocket of the hand I used to unlock the door and I had a 100% success rate. No joke. It worked flawlessly every time on the passenger side door. So, now I know what is going on. I suggest everyone try their passenger door. I think you will be suprised >.>
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #28
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er junkie View Post
Interesting note though: Who here has gotten their windows tinted? I have, and I just realized that this problem started happening since I got my windows tinted, so is there a way that the tint is interfering or weakening the signal? I seriously doubt that the geniuses at bmw would not make this without taking tinting into account, but I just thought that is noteworthy!
I have 25% tint and this access problem has been an issue with me as well since the second or so week I had the car.

EDIT: I've had the issue prior to getting the tint sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #29
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Another item to check and a stupid question to ask.

Is your keyfob in your pocket with your cell phone?
I ask because my current car with i-key/comfort access system does not like the interference from the cell phone I tend to keep in my pocket and I notice the car does not detect the i-key when this is the case.

It will immediately work once I seperate them (phone and key fob)
      05-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #30
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I run an at&t franchise, and I know first hand that a cell phone can wreak havok on ALOT of electronics if it is near them. I keep it on my belt But, here is the second realization:
To put the tint on, dont they use a soap/water or pretty much a liquid solvent? Then that solvent then leaks down the inside of the window and seeps in between the door panel? Perhaps the circuits got wet? Mine is only on one window, and tint should not effect the receiver, as it is IN the door, not the interior of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #31
SCSedona1
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 SGM 135i

Mine has been working intermittently since I got my ceramic tint this past weekend. The trunk is the thing that doesn't work the most. Sometimes the car won't start with me and the key in the car, but it's in my pocket. If I take it out, it starts up. WTF... Lock/Unlock on the door handles seems to play nice 90% of the time. Definitely seems like a transmitter power issue, but it doesn't make sense that it doesn't see the fob if it's down by the back bumper and sees it if I hold the fob 5 feet away and grab the button on the trunk. It's just nuts. I would hate to think I paid good $$$ for something that acts up with my darn tint.

Grrrrrrr.....

It is MINE!!! YAY!!! :thumbup::roundel::headbang:

1er's....the REAL zoom, zoom!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #32
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

SO, it seems this may be an issue once windows are tinted, BUT, it could be due to the dripping on the inside after they apply the solution? anyone have any objections or tint technical info to share? I thought that it is mandatory for the electronic wires to be water resistant or something.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #33
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 05 R6, 67 Camaro

my story is very similar to SCSedona1 - my car doesn't recognize the key even when i am sitting INSIDE the vehicle, that kinda puts the tint issue to rest in my case. i have to rotate the key vertical in my pocket for it to start the car.

for you guys interested in the inner working of the CA system i posted the technical docs in the electronics section of the forums. very limited info, but more than BMW gives us.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #34
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

That happened to me today, its not an everyday occurance, but it has happened to me twice (not recognizing the key inside the car). Btw, I got this car 10 days ago lol, it seems that we are all having the same problem :/ I read your tech document, very interesting, and I also found another forum for the same thing happening on an X3 which actually NAMED the parts that are defective, and I printed them out. I will be taking them to my bmw center when I take my car in on Thursday. I will keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 12:41 AM   #35
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have this issue, and it started after my tint installation. My tint is metallic.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #36
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I'm almost thinking that this issue has more to do with "time in service" than it does with window tinting. These cars are all only about a month old, so maybe it's an issue that just takes a little time to show up and the tint is just a conincidence?

I'm an electrical engineer, and I work with RFID in industrial applications. I've been trying to figure out how the tint could be related to the issue and I just can't come up with anything that makes sense! That's not to say it's impossible, but I'm afraid we're on the wrong track with the tint issue.

MY GF has a Prius with an entry system like CA and it works fine with the windows tinted with metallic film. Not apples to apples, but there are a lot of cars on the road with these systems and I'm certain that if window tint caused issue with it we would have heard something about it before now, especially from the other Euro brand which likely use the system that's in our cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #37
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I agree completely, upon using my passenger door yet again today, I tested it nonstop for 20 min. Passenger door= 99% and the driver side door is around the 5-10% area....trunk is less than that. I think Jeremy is right, this could just be coincidence. Nonetheless, this is going in tomorrow, and I dont want them to say it is fine, We need them to fix it. When are you guys taking your cars in for this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #38
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
My CA was acting up so I changed the battery....presto everything is fine. :iono:
      05-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #39
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep

1er_junkie - be sure you are ready to take it in to the dealership, take a look at my post regarding dealer service. the fact is, they don't know how to fix them yet, and you will likely be without your car for a long time if you let them throw all the parts at it they want. i would personally insist that they document the issue and call BMW NA and have an engineer look into the issue and suggest a fix. my car was being joyrided around town by the dealership while they spent 4 days trying to "reprogram" my car, unsuccessfully. can you tell im not happy?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #40
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Just a bit. And I'm going to fields too, in lakeland. I am going to tell them exactly what I think it is. It is not the software, at least I dont think. I read something about the TAGE may be bad or the Control unit. The passenger door works perfectly, with a 99% success rate, while the driver side works with a 5-10% success rate. But I will take your advice and ask what version they are using and tell them not to reprogram my car, and if its not those 2 things then I dont know what ill do, other than never buy a bmw again. :/
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #41
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

btw, I changed my battery, and both remotes still do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #42
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
It may be the pass door sensor. That sucks!
      05-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #43
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep

i would be surprised if it is hardware related, as there are significant numbers of people reporting issues, i would expect a software fix to come in from BMW NA. thats why i say have them document and call BMW NA for an answer.

kyle
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #44
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Windows are tinted .. no issues here .. Not sure what type of tint though ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0