BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
how do you check the software version?

You need to have BMW dealer read the SW version number. Maybe a BT tool can also do that? ??? Some have suggested there might be a hidden museum in the radio that also shows this SW info... but I have not been able to find it that way.

I wish there was a simple way we could tell which SW version we all have!

Btw... my Tuner (Marcel) says that all the early HPFP are made by Bosch and are junk. ALL of those will fail. Stating since March/2010 production... BMW has been using HPFP made by Conti. These Conti pumps do not fail as often as the Bosch pumps. The Conti pump is also good for making good HP/tunes.

Dackel

Last edited by Dackelone; 08-15-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 02:19 AM   #24
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

hold the mile reset and brake with the keys in iginition and turn on, and wait and then you can scroll through information
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeetur View Post
hold the mile reset and brake with the keys in iginition and turn on, and wait and then you can scroll through information

This might be a better way to explian how to reset the service due lights:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ice+due+lights

Dackel

PS: I am not really sure how this topic (resetting the service lights) came up though?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #26
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep

well if u keep holding it down past the reseting lights. it will come up with a bunch of numbers and software version
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #27
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeetur View Post
well if u keep holding it down past the reseting lights. it will come up with a bunch of numbers and software version

Yes, BUT... that is the SW number for the instrument pannel. Not the engine ECU.

IF you turn on the radio with the volume knob... then press AND hold the M button down for 15 secs... you will get into the radio's hidden menu. But still... I do not see any SW numbers for the engine ECU.

I sure there must be an easy way to tell what SW version we have. But so far no one has figgued out a way to read the SW # without a scan tool or GT1 reader from BMW.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #28
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep

oopps
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #29
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
When you turn off the DSC you also get a new icon showing a car skidding instead of the yellow circle with an arrow.
Hmm... if I push the button once I get DTC in the display. If I hold it down I get the big yellow circle with an arrow.

My car was reprogrammed as part of the HPFP recall in April 2011 two days before I bought it. A few interesting notes on the receipt:

-------------------
- Programmed/encoded vehicle with CAS as per recall
- Reflash the BMW Performance software after recall

Notes: The DME failed initial programming and coding. Performed a battery reset, retrieved enabling codes for BMW Performance software and re-programmed/encoded the vehicle. Everything went through with no issues. Reset CBS vehicle data, re-calibrated steering angle sensor, de-activated a/c compressor run-in protection/ saved most ring configuration, reset TPM.
-------------------

I can't imagine the BMW Performance software would have any effect on the icon. Does everyone else have the new icon of the car skidding?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #30
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
I do not have iDrive on my car. My car never did that before. Only when you leave the headlights on AUTO did the tail lights and orange parking lights & AE come on for a few secs when locking and unlocking the car. Now the urn signals flash. I ahve only seen one other 128i vert do this.
It's inside the setup menu using your wiper stalk. Mine have flashed since day one. Sometimes the dealers reset stuff during the reprogramming. For instance, they reset my auto unlock feature to where I have to pull the door handles twice to open the door.

Prior to your signals flashing, what happend when you locked the car?

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #31
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Hmm... if I push the button once I get DTC in the display. If I hold it down I get the big yellow circle with an arrow.

My car was reprogrammed as part of the HPFP recall in April 2011 two days before I bought it. A few interesting notes on the receipt:

I believe you have an older SW version than what is available right now.

When you completely switch off the DSC (by holding the button down for a few secs) this is what you should see:

Name:  IMG_6599.jpg
Views: 3582
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6598.jpg
Views: 3251
Size:  88.7 KB

And here is the new TPMS icon when you have a low/flat tire.
Name:  IMG_6593.jpg
Views: 3427
Size:  104.2 KB

The new TPMS SW update now points to the low/flat tire!
Name:  IMG_6594.jpg
Views: 3321
Size:  100.0 KB

With the latest SW update your turn signals should flash when locking and unlocking teh car too. This is part of the new SW.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #32
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Prior to your signals flashing, what happend when you locked the car?

I think you mean thru the BC and turn signal stalk no?

Prior to my SW update... my car would just light up the tail lights and front AE's for a few secs... then they would fade off. Since the SW update... they flash. I really don't like that. I liked it better before with them fading off.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #33
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
I believe you have an older SW version than what is available right now.
Thanks (I don't think my turn signals flash, will have to check).

I guess I'll be in no hurry to get the latest version. Agreed, it would be easier if there was an easy way to find out the version.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #34
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Prior to my SW update... my car would just light up the tail lights and front AE's for a few secs... then they would fade off. Since the SW update... they flash. I really don't like that. I liked it better before with them fading off.

Dackel
I'm sorry, yes, you're right. I like the flashing. More of a noticeable confirmation IMO. Have you perused the menu? Maybe you can disable it.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #35
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry, yes, you're right. I like the flashing. More of a noticeable confirmation IMO. Have you perused the menu? Maybe you can disable it.

I will look thru the BC menu. I only remember seeing options for unlocking ALL doors or just the drivers door, how long the headlight should stay on after switching the car off(and activating them), also DRL on/off, and auto locking on/off.

I don't remember any alarm or flashing turn signal options in there.

Any pointers?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #36
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
LOL, I've never touched my menu really. I did go in once to lengthen the time the parking lights stay on. I'll dabble a little later. Didn't you have a post about someone who codes the ECU? I wonder if it isn't in the menu, if they could set you straight again?

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
LOL, I've never touched my menu really. I did go in once to lengthen the time the parking lights stay on. I'll dabble a little later. Didn't you have a post about someone who codes the ECU? I wonder if it isn't in the menu, if they could set you straight again?

Yes, Thorsetn in Munchen coded my car. www.car-coding.de

I actually talked to him about this back at our Welt v2.0 Meet back in May. He said all the new SW flashes do this blinking thing when locking and unlocking teh car. It how one can tell quickly that a car has the latest SW.

I really wish I never got the new SW update. It really cuts the power. But then again I am VERY HAPPY with my flash tune.

The new SW update also makes the engine run quieter at the expense of throttle response. It also idles at a lower rpm. The engine also runs louder at cruising speeds (exhaust flapper open more?) and the "high idle" when cold comes down faster - within 30 secs I would say. Before it took a minute or two. I really prefer the old original SW. I think its a crime how BMW can change the way our cars run without fully informing us of all these changes. I don't think no other car maker does this.

Ohh well... like I said... my "German tune" fixed 98% of these issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #38
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
I agree. It is a shame how our cars may not be the same thing we recieved initially or even test drove!

It sounds like you have the same SW that I had with my first update a year ago (symptom wise). When I got my new pump, injectors etc., the car was like new again. It was a night and day difference.

I wonder if we may actually have two different versions of software, especially given the fact that the HPFP is a bigger issue here stateside than in Europe.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #39
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if we may actually have two different versions of software, especially given the fact that the HPFP is a bigger issue here stateside than in Europe.

I never have had a HPFP issue. I am still on the original one! 35K miles. Knock on wood!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #40
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone

Dackel

Quote:
Guess what!! HondaGoneRogue was right!!! I went into the BC menu... (you can only go in when the engine is on and not moviing!) and turned off the two locking features when LOCKING and UNLOCKING the car. Now my car is like before... when I lock the doors, no lights flash, nothing - the car doors just lock. When I unlock the car... the front and rear(LED) paring lights come on and then fade off. PERFECT!! Danke!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #41
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Bitte! Glad it worked!

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #42
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I never have had a HPFP issue. I am still on the original one! 35K miles. Knock on wood!
This may explain your throttle response. I had the same symptoms you described with the SW update that included the fuel pump priming. Once I did have a newer SW flash for my pump and injectors being replaced (by the recall, not because of failure) it was a night and day difference.

Do the German dealers participate in the HPFP recall campaign?

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #43
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
This may explain your throttle response. I had the same symptoms you described with the SW update that included the fuel pump priming. Once I did have a newer SW flash for my pump and injectors being replaced (by the recall, not because of failure) it was a night and day difference.

Do the German dealers participate in the HPFP recall campaign?

Yes, they get an email from BMW AG when there is an open recall via VIN number for their customer's cars.

The only recall my 2010 135i has had was for the seat belt insulation thing.

My tuner Marcel (MS Tuning)... said it is not a question of IF but WHEN... my HPFP will fail - since I have the Bosch one. The newer Conti pump is suppose to be much better.

Maybe it is bc of the better gas we have over here?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #44
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
That's what I am assuming. I never had a hiccup while I was driving over there. About four mmonths into filling up with the gas here (Chevron/Shell 91), I started having longer cranks. Nothing alarming, but noticably longer. Then the recall ensued.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0