BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #23
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Seemed like a low number to me, I just bought a new 135 that I'm in love with at the moment so I've been shopping these parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #24
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

The Porsche is dynamically superior in a way an E8x will never be. Ever.

With that said, other factors are at play here. For a DD, i'd prefer the BMW. More torque, more efficient, more comfortable, non P-Car repair bills despite the N54 being a joke and a half reliability wise.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #25
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Was in this dilemma this summer. Was about to pull the trigger on a low-mileage pre-owned 2011 135i under warranty. Came across a pristine 2006 Cayman S, with 19 inch sport wheels in the same price range.

Dont have kids. Wanted a dual purpose track/ week-end car. I needed to confirm I was making the right decision with my 135i. Always was a BMW fan, but allways lusted for Porsche cars, especially the 997, the 997 Twin Turbo, and the 2009+ Cayman S. Most of these are outside of my budget unfortunately. I am also worried about maintenance costs and complexity to work on these cars. I do most of my repairs and maintenance as DIY, but the rear and mid engines seem daunting.

When I test drove the 2006 Cayman S (on the street), I was disappointed with a few things. The seats seemed thin and lower quality, and were not in the same league as the 135i with M-sport package. The steering wheel was not as thick and did not feal as good in my hands. The clutch pedal was too firm. The suspension and 19 inch wheels were overly harsh on our beaten roads. The noise in the cabin was obnoxiously loud, and I could not see myself driving for over an hour. My wife has tinnitus (constant ringing in her ears) so she would not have enjoyed the car. The torque in the Cayman S was less than in the 135i.

The only thing that could have chnaged my mind is trying the Cayman S on the track, but as you can imagine, this is not as easily arranged.

Bottom line, Im thrilled with my 135i, even more so with its 3.46 Final Drive Quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, and Cobb tune. Torque is intoxicating even at low RPM...

N55 and N54 based 135i has more useable torque, with max torque available from about 2000 RPM. Cayman-S is a rev happy, and has it optimal torque band from 4000RPM to redline.

Who wants to be a high-revving A-O in every day driving, to benefit from torque? That is why you will frequently see reviews about the 135i being a better DD. Cayman-S is noisier (engine is a foot away from your ears) and is better on the track and smooth pavement.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #26
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Highly unlikely you will need to drop $2k, let alone $3k on a single 135i repair. Outside of replacing the turbos I don't see how you would do it. Especially if you do the work yourself or go to an independent.
Are you pretending like this [having to replace turbos] hasn't happened?

Not to sound condescending, but there are a lot of things that could combine to go wrong on any turbo engine that could easily amount to $3k. One spun bearing could put you in the $2-3k range if you're not tearing it down by yourself, which I am presuming the OP ain't.

4 good tires for this car are $1000-$1500 for Pete's sake.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #27
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
dcaron. if I may. why did you chose m3 suspension parts over powerflex with your lsd? Just asking because I'm researching these upgrades right now but don't plan on getting a lsd because I don't track and its very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #28
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
dcaron. if I may. why did you chose m3 suspension parts over powerflex with your lsd? Just asking because I'm researching these upgrades right now but don't plan on getting a lsd because I don't track and its very expensive.
Looks like we are thread jacking here, but will keep this short. Car is under warranty and I wanted to retain stealth look. M3 bushings are solid one-piece black hard rubber with no voids like the stock 135i rear subframe bushings. Most after market rear subframe bushings or bushing inserts are yellow or purple, and are two piece designs. Then my personal taste is to use as many M3 bits as possible on my 135i. Did this install as a DIY, and it was a PITA.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #29
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
Are you pretending like this [having to replace turbos] hasn't happened?

Not to sound condescending, but there are a lot of things that could combine to go wrong on any turbo engine that could easily amount to $3k. One spun bearing could put you in the $2-3k range if you're not tearing it down by yourself, which I am presuming the OP ain't.

4 good tires for this car are $1000-$1500 for Pete's sake.
Come on. Of course major things can go wrong, question is how likely is it on these engines?

The main reason turbos are being replaced on the n54s is due to leaky waste gates. And turbos that fail in those circumstances are covered by extended warranty issued by BMW.

Op is looking at n55. Have not read much here, if anything about people having to replace failed turbo on n55.

Same with spun bearings. Do not recall reading even a single case where this has happened. Not to say it hasn't, but it is not something one needs to be overly worried about on these engines.

The fact is, these are very stout platforms, aside from a few known issues such as shitty water pumps and the failing hpfp (which has been resolved).

Chances of having to drop 2k on a single repair is very unlikely.

There is nothing special about the tire requirements on this car vs. any other sporty car. not sure why you are even bringing it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #30
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Come on. Of course major things can go wrong, question is how likely is it on these engines?

The main reason turbos are being replaced on the n54s is due to leaky waste gates. And turbos that fail in those circumstances are covered by extended warranty issued by BMW.

Op is looking at n55. Have not read much here, if anything about people having to replace failed turbo on n55.

Same with spun bearings. Do not recall reading even a single case where this has happened. Not to say it hasn't, but it is not something one needs to be overly worried about on these engines.

The fact is, these are very stout platforms, aside from a few known issues such as shitty water pumps and the failing hpfp (which has been resolved).

Chances of having to drop 2k on a single repair is very unlikely.

There is nothing special about the tire requirements on this car vs. any other sporty car. not sure why you are even bringing it up.
::ghetto voice:: You right you right.. lol

I guess my insensitive side is coming out.. I am being prejudiced, biased and all those bad things. I'm preemptivelay striking against the future thread about how he can't afford the repairs on his BMW. I hate those. German sports cars are not cheap!!!

I guess I always like to be prepared for the worst case scenario. When I was his age I was busy defending the nation, not driving bimmers. I had like 35 dollars in my checking account at any given moment.

BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #31
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
Seemed like a low number to me, I just bought a new 135 that I'm in love with at the moment so I've been shopping these parts.
If you go vrsf for dp an intercooler you are at about $800 (less if you are n55),add $80 or so for dci. $500 to $800 depending on the tune you choose. Pretty sure I paid about $1000 for my berk cat back.

If you went the jb4 tune and meth route you are at about $900.

So about $2800 (plus shipping) all in. Dci and exhaust don't buy you much performance wise. So $1700 will get you pretty much the same performance.

I think if you buy dp and fmic at the same time, vrsf gives you a bit of a break in price.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #32
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep

YAY CANADA!!!!

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #33
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
::ghetto voice:: You right you right.. lol

I guess my insensitive side is coming out.. I am being prejudiced, biased and all those bad things. I'm preemptivelay striking against the future thread about how he can't afford the repairs on his BMW. I hate those. German sports cars are not cheap!!!

I guess I always like to be prepared for the worst case scenario. When I was his age I was busy defending the nation, not driving bimmers. I had like 35 dollars in my checking account at any given moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 01:39 AM   #34
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

I own a Gen2 Cayman S DFI, with Softronic tune and a few other minor performance mods.
It's almost a perfect drivers car, I just don't compare my 135i with it.
Now as for a DD, that's why I own a 135i, however I needed to spend money on the suspension just so it would feel respectable on the street, anyhow now it's almost a perfect DD just a few things to go.
      03-28-2014, 03:42 AM   #35
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders
My garage should have everything listed. Berk axle back on eBay was around $420 shipped. BMS catless downpipes was around $350. Injen intake was $250 on eBay after shipping. ER charge pipe was $300 something after shipping. Cx racing fmic kit on eBay was $500 after shipping. JB4 $500. BMS meth kit $500. Walboro inline fuel pump from eBay and connectors about $150. After doing the math looks like it's closer to $3k. Either way did every install myself saving tons. Even did the valve cleaning myself. For how much faster it is now $3k was well worth it. Oil changes myself. Plugs myself even upgraded clutch myself with floor jacks and basic tools. eBay was my friend with a lot of these things. Sellers usually accepted my best offers. Like I said, I've never driven a Porsche but I'm thinking if I could drop another couple grand on suspension I would think it would perform extremely well next to the Porsche. So add $5k to a N54 135i price, would it perform better than a stock cayman? And what would the price of said Porsche be? I think I saw someone say around $30k. I'd be pretty confident a N54 with recalls and failures already fixed could be found and add $5k in mods would be under $30k. Maybe? Not trying to claim I know these things that's why there's ?'s.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #36
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Get the Cayman and get it out of your system. I had a series of used Porsches and one brand new Boxster before I switched to BMW. There is NO Porsche that is practical as a daily driver (I'm talking cars, not trucks), having gone that route for quite a few years. The 135i would be far more practical, especially if you're commuting from Lake Jackson to Houston (I used to live in the Houston area). Think of it this way - as a DD, you're going to be packing on the miles, and once out of warranty, Porsches are more expensive than BMWs to keep maintained. For a fun weekend car? Sure, Cayman/Boxster are fun, but you really don't want to be driving one day in and day out, getting it dinged, full of road grime, and potentially in some kind of accident.

Also, you cannot wrench on the Boxster/Cayman engine very easily, and the only access is from underneath unless you pull out the engine cover behind the seats (in a Boxster, this is underneath the convertible top cover panel). There's not really much you can do to that engine, either, save for maybe exhaust and an intake. There's no turbo, so not much you can tune unless you start messing with cams and other internals.

And, if you're like me (6'3", 230 lbs), the fit in a Cayman, especially legroom, is VERY snug. The Boxster wasn't very comfy on long trips, but that's subjective on my part.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #37
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

OP, crazy you posted this. I was in the EXACT situation last year. 24, good job, decent money, good credit, and " looking to capitalize on something fun and slightly irresponsible before real life happens." I went with a 2011 135i DCT. I still from time to time look at the Caymans though. I'm fearful that if the Cayman had as many issues as I've had with my 135, I would be bankrupt. In hindsight, you're right about the Cayman being more reliable and even though maintenance costs are more for it, I probably wouldn't spend as much time in the shop with it like my I do with my BMW. Then again, it's always a hit or miss with German sports cars having issues or not. I had an 2001.5 Audi S4 and I never once had an issue with it in three years. Which makes me think that Porsche would be just as reliable considering VW owns Audi and Porsche, but who knows.

If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have bought the 135 or the Cayman. I would have bought a lightly used something practical, reliable, cheap, and still fun to drive...like a manual civic si or something. In the year and four months I've owned the car I've realized that being in debt almost $20K on a car right now isn't all that cool. I could have had a nice civic paid off by now and been substantially saving for a nice house and substantially paying off my school loans...and maybe even have a motorcycle to have a little fun on. Just food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #38
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
And, if you're like me (6'3", 230 lbs), the fit in a Cayman, especially legroom, is VERY snug. The Boxster wasn't very comfy on long trips, but that's subjective on my part.
Going to have to assume your seating position was terrible. I'm 6'5" and the 987 Cayman has tons of space for me. 981 Boxster I can adjust to the point of not even being able to touch the wheel.
      03-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #39
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM135iAM View Post
OP, crazy you posted this. I was in the EXACT situation last year. 24, good job, decent money, good credit, and " looking to capitalize on something fun and slightly irresponsible before real life happens." I went with a 2011 135i DCT. I still from time to time look at the Caymans though. I'm fearful that if the Cayman had as many issues as I've had with my 135, I would be bankrupt. In hindsight, you're right about the Cayman being more reliable and even though maintenance costs are more for it, I probably wouldn't spend as much time in the shop with it like my I do with my BMW. Then again, it's always a hit or miss with German sports cars having issues or not. I had an 2001.5 Audi S4 and I never once had an issue with it in three years. Which makes me think that Porsche would be just as reliable considering VW owns Audi and Porsche, but who knows.

If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have bought the 135 or the Cayman. I would have bought a lightly used something practical, reliable, cheap, and still fun to drive...like a manual civic si or something. In the year and four months I've owned the car I've realized that being in debt almost $20K on a car right now isn't all that cool. I could have had a nice civic paid off by now and been substantially saving for a nice house and substantially paying off my school loans...and maybe even have a motorcycle to have a little fun on. Just food for thought.
Cool story, but as far as assuming that you wouldn't be in the shop as much with a Cayman is like you stated, a hit or miss. For any car, really. Everyone's car experiences are unique and anyone could tell you why the car brand they live by is the best and that they're oh so reliable, but on the other hand, there are equally as many people who would say otherwise.

And if you're really bothered by the high maintenance costs/you're still steadily losing money on the car and all the things you could have instead, then oh, I don't know... Sell it...? Your statements seem a bit contradictory...

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #40
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflamme View Post
One word: vanos...

Especially if the OP is looking for '11 model. Please if you get one take the time to verify you serial number
I guess this is true. Have not really been following the vanos bolt issue. Doesn't sound great.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #41
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Except that it grenades the engine.

And this is before we get into the more benign problems the prefacelift 987 has, like cornering oil starvation.
Yea, but there is an IMS fix and you can find some that have had the motors replaced by Porsche.

I don't think they have many more problems than the 135i does, however total motor failures are much less common in the 135i even on highly tuned cars.

If I could do it all over again when I was searching for cars I'd buy the 135i each time. I've been hooked on turbo power since I bought my first car.

also loling at the cayman drivers responses as well
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #42
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
Yea, but there is an IMS fix and you can find some that have had the motors replaced by Porsche.

I don't think they have many more problems than the 135i does, however total motor failures are much less common in the 135i even on highly tuned cars.

If I could do it all over again when I was searching for cars I'd buy the 135i each time. I've been hooked on turbo power since I bought my first car.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Cayman, especially the post facelift 09+, is probably one of the best cars of our time.
      03-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #43
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by inFamousKicks View Post
Cool story, but as far as assuming that you wouldn't be in the shop as much with a Cayman is like you stated, a hit or miss. For any car, really. Everyone's car experiences are unique and anyone could tell you why the car brand they live by is the best and that they're oh so reliable, but on the other hand, there are equally as many people who would say otherwise.

And if you're really bothered by the high maintenance costs/you're still steadily losing money on the car and all the things you could have instead, then oh, I don't know... Sell it...? Your statements seem a bit contradictory...
When did I make a statement about a personal issue with high maintenance costs? I haven't spent a dime on my vehicle other than gas and tires. My car has warranty just like the OP was stating as opposed to a Cayman outside of warranty. What statement is a contradiction? I suggest you read my post again. I believe you might have read it out of context.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #44
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Going to have to assume your seating position was terrible. I'm 6'5" and the 987 Cayman has tons of space for me. 981 Boxster I can adjust to the point of not even being able to touch the wheel.
My problem is long legs...plus, the 986 Boxster's configuration was such that with the firewall behind the seats, you could either move them back but have to sit bolt upright or scoot them forward a few inches so you could recline the seatback. Mine was a 1997, so they may have improved the firewall dimensions. A few inches more room would have made quite a difference in comfort for me.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0