BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-04-2019, 12:44 AM   #1
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-SPORT

DCT transmission fluid service

Has anyone on here successfully and accurately done a transmission fluid drain and fill on their DCT trans? I really would like to try and do it myself to save some money from having to take it to the shop. Just curious if it's a PITA filling the gearbox? I know it's temp related and specific to filling but who all has given this a go? Tips and comments I'd appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 03:23 AM   #2
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Here's a video about changing the DCT fluid. For the M3, M4, M5, M6, 135i, and 335i. Don't know if you've seen it already. Very informative. Note: he makes a small numbers error (viscosity) on the DCT fluid he uses, but nobody's perfect, and he corrects it on screen.

And a 1ADDICTS thread: (there are probably others)

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1350274
      02-04-2019, 04:43 AM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I've been wondering about doing this service. I have almost 89k on my DCT but all daily driving. I've asked two respected Indies and a BMW dealer. All of them said to leave the fluid alone if there is no issue going on with my trans either with shifting or leaks. Not sure if any of you all have been hearing this.
Appreciate 1
Gangplank1540.50
      02-04-2019, 04:49 AM   #4
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I've been wondering about doing this service. I have almost 89k on my DCT but all daily driving. I've asked two respected Indies and a BMW dealer. All of them said to leave the fluid alone if there is no issue going on with my trans either with shifting or leaks. Not sure if any of you all have been hearing this.
That's a huge misconception and I believe complete total bullshit. I hate how people actually believe fluid can be lifetime which is actually 100k miles.

There is absolutely NOTHING special about bmw transmission fluid, it's only part synthetic to begin with. Regardless of any shop advising against it, if it's under 100k miles I'd say go for it.

Fluid just like engine oil breaks down over time and loses its viscosity. It can't 100% protect the transmission for eternity. Same with engine oil. All fluids have service life.

I'm doing mine based on personal experiences and being a stickler about maint. I'm at 71k miles and I'm sure it's original fluid as I have no documentation otherwise stating.

I suggest you find a different shop...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:03 AM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveitsmikey View Post
That's a huge misconception and I believe complete total bullshit. I hate how people actually believe fluid can be lifetime which is actually 100k miles.

There is absolutely NOTHING special about bmw transmission fluid, it's only part synthetic to begin with. Regardless of any shop advising against it, if it's under 100k miles I'd say go for it.

Fluid just like engine oil breaks down over time and loses its viscosity. It can't 100% protect the transmission for eternity. Same with engine oil. All fluids have service life.

I'm doing mine based on personal experiences and being a stickler about maint. I'm at 71k miles and I'm sure it's original fluid as I have no documentation otherwise stating.

I agree that this is counter to what I know about lubricating oil. But again, I got this feedback talking to two respected Indies and an actual BMW dealer. They all said they would do it but said they wouldn't recommend it. I find it hard to believe all of these shops would willing turn down money for service if there wasn't something (however small) to their advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:03 AM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

My dealer also says it's lifetime fluid, but with a nod and a wink they tell me that is what they're supposed to say. I will definitely be changing mine sooner rather than later. Especially after watching that video.
      02-04-2019, 05:06 AM   #7
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:

I agree that this is counter to what I know about lubricating oil. But again, I got this feedback talking to two respected Indies and an actual BMW dealer. They all said they would do it but said they wouldn't recommend it. I find it hard to believe all of these shops would willing turn down money for service if there wasn't something (however small) to their advice.
I think the reason behind this is so when it does internally fail from lack of viscosity and eventually the fluid becomes like water the fluid starts to burn up in the transmission and becomes toast.

It's a complete dirty scam for them to make more money. Figure a dealer charges 900 to service trans where as a new factory installed transmission is thousands and thousands..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:07 AM   #8
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
My dealer also says it's lifetime fluid, but with a nod and a wink they tell me that is what they're supposed to say. I will definitely be changing mine sooner rather than later. Especially after watching that video.
I have in all my cars. Even high mileage, but with no history and high mileage is way more of a gamble than doing it before 100k mile mark.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:09 AM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Well, I'll ask my BMW dealer tech friend what he thinks. He'll give me an honest straight answer. I just haven't recently since he's helped me with a bunch of other things I didn't want to push my luck with his generosity.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #10
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Angry The facts & only the facts!

The DCT uses a very special and expensive transmission fluid made by Pentosin:

http://www.pentosin.net/f_transmissionfluid.asp

I believe it requires 10 quarts @ $30 per, so just the fluid will cost you $300. Another problem is Pentosin warns about contamination of the new fluid, so a transmission flush is required.

The DIYer won't be able to perform this service. Even BMW might not be set up for it. You'll have to find a specialty transmission shop set up to do it. Good luck with that. BMW figures you'll wreck or get rid of the car before the service is required!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
The DCT uses a very special and expensive transmission fluid made by Pentosin:

http://www.pentosin.net/f_transmissionfluid.asp

I believe it requires 10 quarts @ $30 per, so just the fluid will cost you $300. Another problem is Pentosin warns about contamination of the new fluid, so a transmission flush is required.

The DIYer won't be able to perform this service. Even BMW might not be set up for it. You'll have to find a specialty transmission shop set up to do it. Good luck with that. BMW figures you'll wreck or get rid of the car before the service is required!
I'm not going to use pentosin it's crap fluid to begin with. I'll just have a shop do it and I'm def not going to bmw they already misdiagnosed my car
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Im also interested in this. Every shop I've talked to said its pretty much not worth it, which I found shocking as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #13
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Did you bother to read what Pentosin said?
Appreciate 1
mcompact119.00
      02-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #14
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going to use pentosin it's crap fluid to begin with. I'll just have a shop do it and I'm def not going to bmw they already misdiagnosed my car
You are demented. Pentosin is the original fill in the DCT, and it is a very high quality oil. Your shop will likely royally screw up your transmission!
Appreciate 1
mcompact119.00
      02-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #15
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You are demented. Pentosin is the original fill in the DCT, and it is a very high quality oil. Your shop will likely royally screw up your transmission!
Lmao not even close. That's just overpriced partial synthetic fluid with low viscosity. I do my research before just putting in ANY type of fluid...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #16
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Did you bother to read what Pentosin said?
Yes without even a pdf technical bulletin on the properties of the fluid. 🤦*♂️
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #17
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Im also interested in this. Every shop I've talked to said its pretty much not worth it, which I found shocking as well.
Maybe you should show them the video above with the dirty DCT fluid at 30k miles. Wonder if they would think it's worth it then? Besides, don't they want the business?
      02-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #18
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
I paid for new fluid when I had my DCT leak fixed and it wasn't cheap. From my understanding, they were just going to pour the old fluid back in. I'm not sure about the detailed specifics of the service procedure, but at least I'm running fresh fluid.

The idea of not changing the fluid after a certain number of miles applies to conventional torque converter automatic transmissions. Some shops will not touch them once they've covered 80 to 100k miles on the original fluid that BMW branded as Lifetime. I did it anyway on a previous automatic of mine and never had problems. I opted for a simple drain and refill on the conventional torque converter automatic as opposed to a flush which could dislodge particles in the valve body and render the car immovable.

I don't think any of that sentiment applies to DCT. It's a fundamentally different setup. The Lifetime thing I take with a grain of salt. Change the fluid if you want peace of mind.

As far as fluid is concerned, Pentosin is the factory fill from my understanding. Over the last few years though, there are number of alternatives from popular manufacturers. Valvoline, Amsoil, Liqui Moly and several others all make a DCT fluid.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2

Last edited by tock172; 02-04-2019 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #19
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I suppose my question is are there many higher mileage DCTs out there? There has to be some 3 series well over 100k by now?
      02-04-2019, 09:06 PM   #20
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I suppose my question is are there many higher mileage DCTs out there? There has to be some 3 series well over 100k by now?
I know of a 335i with 150k unsure of if it's original fluid though. Peaks my concern now that you mention it.

Also just because a fluid may go 100k moles or kore shouldn't mean to leave it either.

The only circumstance I would not change is if it was bought as 100k plus car with no history of it being done.

At that point you're risking it. But I highly doubt changing fluid before 100k is going to make anything worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #21
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I paid for new fluid when I had my DCT leak fixed and it wasn't cheap. From my understanding, they were just going to pour the old fluid back in. I'm not sure about the detailed specifics of the service procedure, but at least I'm running fresh fluid.

The idea of not changing the fluid after a certain number of miles applies to conventional torque converter automatic transmissions. Some shops will not touch them once they've covered 80 to 100k miles on the original fluid that BMW branded as Lifetime. I did it anyway on a previous automatic of mine and never had problems. I opted for a simple drain and refill on the conventional torque converter automatic as opposed to a flush which could dislodge particles in the valve body and render the car immovable.

I don't think any of that sentiment applies to DCT. It's a fundamentally different setup. The Lifetime thing I take with a grain of salt. Change the fluid if you want peace of mind.

As far as fluid is concerned, Pentosin is the factory fill from my understanding. Over the last few years though, there are number of alternatives from popular manufacturers. Valvoline, Amsoil, Liqui Moly and several others all make a DCT fluid.
Yeah it's the factory fill basically with bmw branded on the bottle there is no difference. I'm at die hard Amsoil guy so I'm going to use the Amsoil DCT fluid which has a very solid 171 viscosity index at operating temp. The higher the viscosity the better the fluid strength which means fluid lasts longer and protects against heat. Heat is a number one killer of transmissions.
Appreciate 1
tock172581.50
      02-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #22
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post

Yeah it's the factory fill basically with bmw branded on the bottle there is no difference. I'm at die hard Amsoil guy so I'm going to use the Amsoil DCT fluid which has a very solid 171 viscosity index at operating temp. The higher the viscosity the better the fluid strength which means fluid lasts longer and protects against heat. Heat is a number one killer of transmissions.
Appreciate 0