BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Latest BMW OEM software Update - Sentiments?

Am trying to get some idea as to how the latest software update affects Power / driveability.
Ive read a few posts saying that it improves gas mileage, but does this come at expense of power?
I will be bringing mine in for its yearly service (also had a Loooong crank a couple weeks ago)
Am wondering if I should request the update, or not.

Thanks in advance,
E
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
d1ko7omy
undefined
Rep
Drives: AW 135i ///Msport

I got the update, but I also updated my JB3 to 2.0 at the same time so I can't really say.

What I did notice however was that my radio stations are now named, and the car also displays the names of the songs like the newer BMWs
'00 ZX-6R - Yoshi exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I actually was talking to the DINAN rep at my dealer last nite, he was stating that they finally got the problem fixed now w/ the latest software upgrade. They fixed the turbo lag and wastegate noise problem that came w/ the previous versions. Hope this helps.
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

[QUOTE=Smac355;I actually was talking to the DINAN rep at my dealer last nite, he was stating that they finally got the problem fixed now w/ the latest software upgrade. They fixed the turbo lag and wastegate noise problem that came w/ the previous versions. Hope this helps

This is what i was hoping forIt would give me the STRONG urge to make my car better with Dinan and BMW upgrades(warranty is needed for my well being LOL).
So far 3 weeks and the upgrade HPFP and Flash is doing well for me and my 1......I have been holding back doing Dinan Stage 2 because of this issue...so i am hoping this fix is for REAL..it should be by now...we have sent men to the moon, BMW can fix this issue and maybe they have.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
Am trying to get some idea as to how the latest software update affects Power / driveability.
Ive read a few posts saying that it improves gas mileage, but does this come at expense of power?
I will be bringing mine in for its yearly service (also had a Loooong crank a couple weeks ago)
Am wondering if I should request the update, or not.

Thanks in advance,
E
I'm curious too.
I have long cranks at times, but no HPFP failure, and I hope it stays that way.

But, I do notice, for a few months now, that the power has leveled or gone "soft". It could be that I'm used to it, but I got this feeling after only a few thousand miles, right around when the long cranks started.
Also, usually cold temps make a turbo feel like a pound or 2 may have been added. I didn't get that feeling when the temps dropped, and that's also when the long cranks started.

SO, I'm hopeful that it's not all in my head, but in my ECU.
I'll be going in early next week as I got an SES light today.
When I get the update, I'll be sure to post if anything changes.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

[quote=IZAGLO;7140069][quote=Smac355;I actually was talking to the DINAN rep at my dealer last nite, he was stating that they finally got the problem fixed now w/ the latest software upgrade. They fixed the turbo lag and wastegate noise problem that came w/ the previous versions. Hope this helps

This is what i was hoping forIt would give me the STRONG urge to make my car better with Dinan and BMW upgrades(warranty is needed for my well being LOL).
So far 3 weeks and the upgrade HPFP and Flash is doing well for me and my 1......I have been holding back doing Dinan Stage 2 because of this issue...so i am hoping this fix is for REAL..it should be by now...we have sent men to the moon, BMW can fix this issue and maybe they have.[/QUOTE]

You gotta go Stage II... it makes the 135 a whole new beast, plus u get ur warranty, same reason i did it vs other Tunes. I haven't had any Fuel pump issues nor have i gotten any software upgrades as far as i know since i bought my car in Nov 2008. check out my dyno post a few days back for the video clips and what not. I have the DINAN exhaust too which I'm really liking as well.
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
Ghostbear
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135is 09

I might be blind but I didn't see the Software Version this thread is referring to. Since I also have SES Lights Version No. would really be appreciated.
      04-23-2010, 05:59 AM   #8
clausy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbear View Post
I might be blind but I didn't see the Software Version this thread is referring to. Since I also have SES Lights Version No. would really be appreciated.
Dealer told me my current version of software is E89X-09-09-516 from integration level E89X-08-03-520.

I had it upgraded because it was idling rough. Didn't make any difference to the idle but it did flatten the power delivery. Gas mileage also dropped about 10%. Grrrr. Not happy. That was done in dec '09. Looks like the software date is 09/2009, so there may be something newer out there.

I am getting PPK installed as we speak so I bloody well hope it gets a big boost on top of that, pun intended.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

edit
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
dieselmitchell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i M

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
+1
      04-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
Retkeur
Rep
Drives: '11 M3

So far I 've had the PPK in my car since March, and along with that I was told at the dealer that they did "a software upgrade that came out 03/10".

I can tell you that apart from the obvious power upgrade from the PPK, I have been noticing a minimal increase in the mpg on my car. Before the PPK, my car would consume on my commute 1/4 of a tank in 2 days. Now, it stays on average one bar before 1/4. Like I said, it's minimal.

At first I was skeptical, maybe due to what I have read in the past, but after a few weeks it was evident.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #12
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Would you say the PPK it worth the money?
What does it feel like with the butt dyno?
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

No changes...

I had the software update about a month ago when my SES light came on, I only noticed some minior changes to my radio text and did not notice any performance or gas mileage difference, today my SES light came on again, so it's back to the dealer on monday...I can only hope I get a diesel loaner again.
      04-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
I am going for a flash tomorrow (installed the alarm so need it programmed, but dealer said they'll need to update the software first before than can actually load up the alarm add-on software, hence why they said it can take north of an hour for everything). Will let you know if I see any new features or 'smoothness'
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
I had the software update about a month ago when my SES light came on, I only noticed some minior changes to my radio text and did not notice any performance or gas mileage difference, today my SES light came on again, so it's back to the dealer on monday...I can only hope I get a diesel loaner again.
My 135i is at the dealer right now, and they did the software update.
I have long cranks from time to time, and my radio acts one rarely though.

But, they can't seem to fix my TPMS, and they've had it for over a week, so I can't comment on the software update. I REALLY want my car back!
I'll post on the update once I get it back, if I ever get it back.
If they can't fix the TPMS, then they'll have to do something else, but I'm starting to get irritated at how long they've had it and can't fix something so relatively simple as the TPMS. I mean, there aren't many parts really to "fix" per se. It either works with new parts or it doesn't.

I've been driving a 328xi with automatic, and honestly, it's really quick car and smooth too. It doesn't have the hard accel power of the 135i, but it's no slouch. Getting my 135i back will be like getting it the first time last year. So that could be good.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #16
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How long did the software update install take? I had to leave my car at the dealer because Progress Bar indicated it will take over 4 hrs!!!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #17
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I just got the software update done a couple weeks ago while the dealer was doing some tranny work on my car. My car gets good gas mileage...but it doesn't punch me like it used to, and it feels a bit more flacid all around

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #18
rotts4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A3 TDI

My wifes 2010 135i vert just went back in a few weeks ago for a long crank problem and since it already had the new pump they just did the reflash. Before then I had been checking her fuel mileage every week. Her car is pretty much driven back and forth to work on the same route of 20 miles each way every day so her mileage has been falling between 21-21.8 every week. We have tried ethanol free, different brands etc and nothing has made a significant change.

After the first two weeks on the new reflash it read 21.3mpg. So there was ZERO difference in mpg in her car. I asked her if it felt different and she said no, I drove it and it feels the same to me too.

I can hear the fuel pump spinup as soon as I hit the unlock button etc. After about 3 weeks no long starts and no more passenger window rolldown problems either.
      05-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #19
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
My wifes 2010 135i vert just went back in a few weeks ago for a long crank problem and since it already had the new pump they just did the reflash. Before then I had been checking her fuel mileage every week. Her car is pretty much driven back and forth to work on the same route of 20 miles each way every day so her mileage has been falling between 21-21.8 every week. We have tried ethanol free, different brands etc and nothing has made a significant change.

After the first two weeks on the new reflash it read 21.3mpg. So there was ZERO difference in mpg in her car. I asked her if it felt different and she said no, I drove it and it feels the same to me too.

I can hear the fuel pump spinup as soon as I hit the unlock button etc. After about 3 weeks no long starts and no more passenger window rolldown problems either.
You have ethanol free stations??? Wow, consider yourself lucky, here it is tougher to find than a 5-leaf clover! LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #20
d1ko7omy
undefined
Rep
Drives: AW 135i ///Msport

update: Apart from the radio text changes, I got a SES light randomly for a few days, then it went away. I'm running JB3 2.0 beta. Not sure if this has something to do with hidden code detection, I haven't had a look yet with the OBDII.
'00 ZX-6R - Yoshi exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
BimmerSchnitzel
J1V3.455.7URCK3Y
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I just got the software update done a couple weeks ago while the dealer was doing some tranny work on my car. My car gets good gas mileage...but it doesn't punch me like it used to, and it feels a bit more flacid all around
+1

I took my car in this weekend for service. Apparently the whole car needed to get re-flashed. I'm hoping the car is still learning as of right now because it feels like a slouch. Very linear power delivery w/o the punch of full boost. Not a happy BMW owner right now.

Anyone else with the most recent re-flash have any observations?

Last edited by BimmerSchnitzel; 06-02-2010 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #22
2thDoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Shelby GT500

Mine got the update about 2 weeks ago. I agree, mileage may be up a hair. Power *seems* overall a bit less. Might be a little more even in the delivery and the numbers are the same overall, but it doesn't seem to hit quite as hard as before. I drove for several days with the JB3 on "0" and have been back on "4" for a little over a week now and the power doesn't seem quite as strong.

Might be a combo of several factors, though - it's getting warmer outside, and more humid here (and it was cool and dry for a long time before it went in for service, and it was in for 3 weeks!). It also may be still going through the acclimation process to the JB3. We'll see how it goes...