BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #23
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
I got my car back last night, the new software update took literally 3 days - no joke. While waiting on Sat (after dealer said it will be between 2-4 hrs) SA came back saying they won't finish by the time the tech clocks out. So they interrupted/canceled it. Then on Mon they re-started it again, half-way through the day BMW's main computer crashed (allegedly!) which caused another interruption (and all kinds of fault codes on the dash as per tech). Then finally full upload was done yesterday, and even that took 4 hrs. And all of this effort only because I asked them to program the BMW alarm I installed myself! (they had to bring the full software up to date before they can load the alarm bit).

Anyhow, tough to say if the car is any different. Didn't have enough seat time, plus really not used to driving anything other than Map 5 I did notice on a couple of occassions the idle was oscilating a bit, which never happened before.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #24
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

My car was stock before, and stock afterwards... installed after complaining of long cranks and the check engine light coming one from time to time when I go to start. I've got to say I've got the exact opposite impression. My car hasnt felt like this low end torque wise since the day I test drove a v28.x car way way back in the day.

The HPFP problems are still very much there... in that my car STILL is getting long cranks again, takes about 30 secs to start idling normal (vs. liek a big american v8 with a cam), and my wife complains there was a power loss so drastic that she had to pull over to the side of the road because she couldnt keep up with even the slow lanes of traffic.

The new software is simply to reduce the effects of the HPFP, to hide it, and to get irate customers off their back for a short time.

Sadly, BMW is getting worse and worse about replacing the HPFP... I've been effectively told that they don't care how it runs, they could see it missing, or long crank, but no code = no hpfp. Even if there are drive ability concerns.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #25
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyek View Post
The HPFP problems are still very much there... in that my car STILL is getting long cranks again, takes about 30 secs to start idling normal (vs. liek a big american v8 with a cam), and my wife complains there was a power loss so drastic that she had to pull over to the side of the road because she couldnt keep up with even the slow lanes of traffic.

The new software is simply to reduce the effects of the HPFP, to hide it, and to get irate customers off their back for a short time.

Sadly, BMW is getting worse and worse about replacing the HPFP... I've been effectively told that they don't care how it runs, they could see it missing, or long crank, but no code = no hpfp. Even if there are drive ability concerns.
If you think that is bad, see what Audi NA is doing to deal with the Carbon Buildup on all FSI engines - they are simply altering the threshold point that trigers the CEL light... Basically hide the skeleton in the closet...
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #26
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth99 View Post
I don't even like to drive my car anymore after this update, it feels like they stole my turbos! Dealer says everything is fine.
dude same here, this new update is brutal
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #27
BimmerSchnitzel
J1V3.455.7URCK3Y
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

After a week it still feels like a turd. So which one of you 1addicts is willing to stick your neck out there and demand the old software back? Don't the 335i guys have two flashes they can choose from, one for optimum MPG and one for performance or am I just high. And if that is true, why is it not available for the 135i???
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #28
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSchnitzel View Post
After a week it still feels like a turd. So which one of you 1addicts is willing to stick your neck out there and demand the old software back? Don't the 335i guys have two flashes they can choose from, one for optimum MPG and one for performance or am I just high. And if that is true, why is it not available for the 135i???
source for 2 flashes for the 335? I have never heard of this. if true I will be at my dealer monday morning
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #29
BimmerSchnitzel
J1V3.455.7URCK3Y
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
source for 2 flashes for the 335? I have never heard of this. if true I will be at my dealer monday morning
I may be just be spit'n hearsay here but I would like to hear it from any BMW techs on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #30
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

The bad news is that I got the new software update (which sucks). The good news is that GIAC needed to create a custom map specifically for my car (at no extra charge). The car is now a beast -- GIAC FTW!

Last edited by BzzzBom; 05-09-2010 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #31
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
The bad news is that I got the new software update (which sucks). The good news is that GIAC needed to creat a custom map specifically for my car (at no extra charge). The car is now a beast -- GIAC FTW!
Please elaborate on the custom map. Why did they need to do that, and how would anyone else go about getting what you got?
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #32
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
Please elaborate on the custom map. Why did they need to do that, and how would anyone else go about getting what you got?
When my HPFP failed I had the car flashed back to stock before going to the BMW dealer. They replaced the HPFP and installed the latest software. When I told GIAC about the software update they asked the GIAC dealer to do a "full DME read" on my ECU and email the file to them. (1.5 hours). GIAC wrote a custom file to work best with the new BMW software (1 hr) and reflashed the car (1 hr). The car now runs the best it has ever run. It feels like a 400 WHP V8 with power from about 1200 RPM to the new 7200 RPM readline.. The guys at GIAC were very helpful - ask for Andy or Austin.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #33
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep

So obviously the dealer found no evidence that your car had a tune huh? That is great. I'd give up a few HP to insure that the dealer doesn't find any codes.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #34
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
So they interrupted/canceled it. Then on Mon they re-started it again, half-way through the day BMW's main computer crashed (allegedly!) which caused another interruption (and all kinds of fault codes on the dash as per tech).
Wow, my SA told me their computer crashed during the flash on mine as well, that's why it couldn't get done the same day. I took the car in at 730am Thursday, and it isn't ready until 8am Friday.

The first thing I notice the is low whirring noise in the morning when I unlock my doors. Much Much louder than before.
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I feel the car is now a bit Slower. I've JB3 2.0 and running Map3. Usually 2nd gear WOT is brutal, but it's not as Nuts as before. not sure if that's just me getting used to the tune or the car has became slower after the new BMW software..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #35
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post
Wow, my SA told me their computer crashed during the flash on mine as well, that's why it couldn't get done the same day. I took the car in at 730am Thursday, and it isn't ready until 8am Friday.

The first thing I notice the is low whirring noise in the morning when I unlock my doors. Much Much louder than before.
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I feel the car is now a bit Slower. I've JB3 2.0 and running Map3. Usually 2nd gear WOT is brutal, but it's not as Nuts as before. not sure if that's just me getting used to the tune or the car has became slower after the new BMW software..
I just installed my JB3 version 2.0 over the weekend, right after I had the latest software uploaded. As I mentioned before, it was tough for me to judge what the BMW software update did per se as I don't run stock. Car def felt sluggish, but I am basing it off the way I am used to driving it (with a tune). Stock for stock...not sure I remember, it was been a while

Then once I popped back the JB3 (this time with Version 2.0) there were too many variables to compare it to something that was apples-to-apples (i.e. It wasn't a direct JB3 1.4 versus 2.0 comparo as obviously the new chip is piggy-backing off the new BMW software). All I can say is I am happy, running on Map 5 (as I always do since I have 93 Octane). Have had only 1 day of driving, so tune is not fully adapted, but there is def less lag and overall smoother.

The 'new' radio stations are a welcome improvement as a result of the factory software update, but beyond that I don't know what else BMW has tinkered with. I doubt I will get another software update (voluntarily), I did this one simply because I needed the alarm programmed and dealer had to bring base software up to date in order to do the alarm bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #36
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post

UPDATE:

My new software has resulted in some odd performance.
I don't feel power is as strong either.
My idle picks different rpm for no reason. Before it was 625rpm.
Now, sometimes it's at 625 and more often it's around 800rpm.
Also, my oil temp is wandering like it never did before.
It reads on average about 20F higher.
MPG seems about the same.
Lag in higher gear at mid rpm is greater than before.
Put the car in 3rd and drive up to around 4000rpm with slow steady rpm rise, then floor it, there is a distinct lag then boost, and it's not as strong as before.

I'm bring it in for no AC, but I will address the performance issue and the other little things.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #37
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth99 View Post
I don't even like to drive my car anymore after this update, it feels like they stole my turbos! Dealer says everything is fine.
HAHA I totally agree... whats really sad is your talking about a 30-40k car, with a known issue, and they keep beating around the bush about it. I had a transmission go out on my dodge cummins that was out of warranty, dodge helped me sign up for extended power-train warranty and get the thing replaced straight up.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #38
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep

I LOVE my car as well, and have only had 2 long cranks in about a month. (Had HPFP replaced once already)
Am due for my yearly service and brake flush. am afraid to bring it in due to this software thing.
Wish BMW would pony up and just issue a recall on the old pumps instead of "tuning down" our cars to compensate for the pump issue.
Could the new software update be lowering the amount of fuel required by the engine, thereby allowing the crappy pump to keep up, and thus making the car feel slower?

FYI:
I just had Toyota replace the ENTIRE Frame on my 2002 Tacoma w/ 85000 miles on it because of a rust issue on the frame itself. (Work order came to about $10k) All done for $0
They stripped the whole truck off the frame and put it all back together.
They even installed some aftermarket parts (Suspension, urethane bushings, exhaust) in place of the OEM stuff that they were going to put back on anyway. Paid for the parts obviously, but labor was free.
Feels like I got a brand new truck back. And BMW cant own up to a fuel pump?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #39
BimmerSchnitzel
J1V3.455.7URCK3Y
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
UPDATE:

My new software has resulted in some odd performance.
I don't feel power is as strong either.
My idle picks different rpm for no reason. Before it was 625rpm.
Now, sometimes it's at 625 and more often it's around 800rpm.
Also, my oil temp is wandering like it never did before.
It reads on average about 20F higher.
MPG seems about the same.
Lag in higher gear at mid rpm is greater than before.
Put the car in 3rd and drive up to around 4000rpm with slow steady rpm rise, then floor it, there is a distinct lag then boost, and it's not as strong as before.

I'm bring it in for no AC, but I will address the performance issue and the other little things.

Keep me in the know. I would love to hear what they say about the decrease in performance with the new software. I have observed a pretty significant increase in MPG. Still hate it though, if I wanted good MPG I would have bought a 128i. GIMME MY PERFORMANCE BACK BMW!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #40
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
My software update report:

- Noticable turbo lag in mid rpm range 2-4K
- poor MPG's
- overall sluggish feeling
- radio station info
- louder whirring sound when i open my doors

overall, I am largely disappointed in the update. I f'n HATE turbo lag, and that was probably the biggest selling point to me...now it feels like i am driving a Jetta 1.8T with more horsepower. Not to mention I do the same drive every day to work and have notice 2-4 mpg worse now....could be that i keep trying to initiate boost. My boost gauge use to show a bit overshoot reaching 8-9 psi stock, but havent seen that happen since upgrade(downgrade) and lot longer to initiate boost.
      05-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #41
BimmerSchnitzel
J1V3.455.7URCK3Y
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
My software update report:

- Noticable turbo lag in mid rpm range 2-4K
- poor MPG's
- overall sluggish feeling
- radio station info
- louder whirring sound when i open my doors

overall, I am largely disappointed in the update. I f'n HATE turbo lag, and that was probably the biggest selling point to me...now it feels like i am driving a Jetta 1.8T with more horsepower. Not to mention I do the same drive every day to work and have notice 2-4 mpg worse now....could be that i keep trying to initiate boost. My boost gauge use to show a bit overshoot reaching 8-9 psi stock, but havent seen that happen since upgrade(downgrade) and lot longer to initiate boost.

I do not know what boost the 135i pushes stock, but did you notice a decrease in peak boost before and after the software change?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #42
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Yep. Stock boost should be around 7psi, but i have read norms of 6-8psi. Prior to new software update when i would go WOT it would overshoot boost to levels as high as 9psi and since the software updgrade I have not experienced that and have noticed a lag of boost...this is why I love having a boost gauge. When it feels sluggish, i look at my boost gauge and confirm how the engine is running.
      05-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #43
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

I guess I'm the odd ball on this thread. I got my pump + filter + 2nd software reload this week and I'm pretty happy with it. It's just like new and the car pulls hard. After the 1st software upgrade, I experienced the lag you all are talking about, but as I still got a long crank, I took my car back in. When my dealer said they'd replace my pump I explained my issues after the last software load and he said he'd look into it-- well sure enough, my car feels great. I didn't ask was version or part # for the pump as I truly thought it was all over for me and the fun would die, but seriously, my car is pulling very well --full stock. I might go pay him a visit with a bottle of scotch--that's how happy I am about it. Only my radio keeps reverting to menu everytime I stop/start or reverse/first gear.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #44
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I notice the car is running richer than b4 as I now hear slightly different exhaust tone, and sometimes my exhaust pops real loud (like backfires, not sure if it's shooting flames, the bumper and diffuser is still clean) within maybe 5mins of driving after a cold start in the morning.....
Appreciate 0