BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Tbob17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4

Having the identical problem with my 2009 Z4(3.0)...

Mark, was a successful fix to this problem ever found before you traded your vehicle? I am having the exact same problem with my 2009 Z4 (3.0), and wondering if anyone has yet found a common fix. Just like these others, when the A/C is off, my problems go away.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #24
1forI
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N55 DCT 135 / E36 M3

Had the exact same issue with me '08. The dealer reset some programming related to the transmission (at least that's what they told me) and the problem stopped. This was also after several mis-diagnosis.

I am now having a very similar issue with my '12. What I noticed this time is that it does not occur in manual mode, just D and S mode, so it seems computer related, not machanical.

I'll post again after the dealer takes a look this coming week.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #25
UR25IO
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-SPORT DCT

I think this is a norm for out 135i DCT N55 to serge forward.
6 months into of owning the car from new in 2011, it started happening (Stock) even after getting PPK stage 1 sTill happen at low RPM coming to a stop when AC is on.
I now also have COBB flash tuned.. same problem over 2 years
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #26
scythe1969
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I was wondering if there was any more information gathered on this issue. As a background, I have owned my 2012 (build date 5/2011) 135i 6MT for about 4 weeks now. Being that I live in SoCal, I don't have much use for A/C as we experience our fair share of temperate weather. The 2 or 3 times I've turned it on in the past two weeks I have noticed the idle surging behavior and it appears to be getting worse. Initially I thought it was being caused by the 'Automatic' climate program... Today, after coming to a stop at a light, the car simply died. I didn't notice the motor being off until I tried to press on the accelerator to start to move; stiff steering wheel and no power via the pedal. I got lucky with traffic, drifted the car into a parking lot and then realized that the motor was off. I just turned the motor back on and the car started up without a problem (no error lights in dash).

After the stall, I started watching the car as I drove home. I noted that when I would brake to a complete stop, the rpms would drop to 900rpm, flutter down to 500/600 rpm and then dart back up to 900 rpm where it would settle until I would get the car going again.

Based on the reading I've done with this thread and the thread that led to this one I'll be checking the intake first but I was wondering if anyone else had discovered anything else I can check on the car. I don't mind taking it to the dealer as I still have my warranty and I don't have to worry about duplicating the issue, it just does it.

The car is stock except for the AFE closed intake it came with and the only service I've had done so far is the VANOS bolt recall. As a side note, the recall service has caused my car to drive 'differently' as noted in other threads, but I think that's more due to the throttle adaptation being reset and not so much because of any DME reprogramming.

Anyway, just curious - anyone..?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 11:03 PM   #27
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Sounds like you need this DME update: SIB 12-15-14

Here is the sticky thread on this topic.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1033690&page=1
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #28
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Was thread searching and even though this thread is old, wanted to add that I have all the latest software but have also experienced the rev bouncing, only with AC on. I don't recall the car ever completely dying on me though. The lurching is the scary bit. It'll do this as you slow down to stop behind another car at a stop light, or as you pull into the garage. I'd take it to the dealer, but based on how they react to the DCT throttle lag issue (which is to say, they don't do anything about it and N55 volumes are too small to get BMW to care), it probably isn't worth the trouble.

I can reproduce the rev bouncing issue most easily when inching along in traffic, AC on, on warm/hot days. The actual lurching while on the brakes is much more sporadic, perhaps only when the revs drop really low (<500) and the car barely catches it before it stalls (the lurch feels just like popping a clutch and stalling a manual).

Bottom line: BMW did a great job programming the DCT for performance, but it is utter garbage (the programming, not the transmission) in city driving/low speed conditions. They, and the aftermarket, won't provide any fixes because there are too few of us to make the issue a liability for them.
      06-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #29
ignote
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner
Sounds like you need this DME update: SIB 12-15-14

Here is the sticky thread on this topic.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...690&amp;page=1
This SIB fixed my throttle lag problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #30
Ganque
N55 Pure Stage 2 w/ DCT
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is M Sport

Hi everyone!
I've been having the same problem with my car almost since I bought it.

Car: 2013 135i N55 with DCT (no PPK)

Symptoms:
- Engine Stuttering
- Jerkiness Stalling with A/C
- Car jumps forward when coming to a stop... it kinda feels like when doing a "heel-toe" downshift from 2nd gear to 1st gear including a knock noise from the engine fighting to keep it running on very low RPMs.
- The car started to have these issues since stock at around 8000 miles.

Current mods on my car:
- JB4 with ISO mod and JB4 connect kit
- BMS Intake
- Helix FMIC
- Megan Racing Downpipe
- Mid resonator deleted
- COBB Chargepipe

Actions already taken to attempt to fix the issue:
- Took the car to the dealer for a software update (Mentioned the SIB 12 15 14)...... Didn't fix it
- Did a DCT adaptations reset via Tool32 on a K+DCAN cable.... Didn't fix it
- Did a Throttle Adaptations reset (regular pedal procedure)...... Didn't fix it
- Updated my JB4 firmware to the latest version and switched to Map 5.... Didn't fix it
- Regular oil change on the N55 engine.... Didn't fix it
- Scanned the car for old codes... No codes saved

I'm lost now guys, Every single thread on any forum suggest to bring the car to the dealership and mention the SIB 12 15 14... but this DID NOT fix my issue. Summer is coming and hot weather is increasing... A/C must be turned on almost all the time.
The car feels awful when coming to a stop and jumps forward like it's about to launch hard...
One notorius symptoms is that the car does this only when the DCT and N55 engine achieve the regular temperature conditions. It does not do it on cold transmission temps.

PLEASE HELP!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #31
xbrentx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

It's your bms intake go back to stock intake problem solved
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #32
xbrentx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

You might be able to pull may sensor connector off with latest 5.10 firmware just disconnect the electric connector going into bms intake and test should fix it if unhappy with that go to stock intake fix gaurantied
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #33
Ganque
N55 Pure Stage 2 w/ DCT
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrentx View Post
You might be able to pull may sensor connector off with latest 5.10 firmware just disconnect the electric connector going into bms intake and test should fix it if unhappy with that go to stock intake fix gaurantied
Wow dude, I hope that works. I will try this as soon as I get back home. I was so desperate that I preferred on using my old bicycle to come to the office, lol. Maybe it does have become a good thing afterall.
      06-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #34
Ganque
N55 Pure Stage 2 w/ DCT
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrentx View Post
It's your bms intake go back to stock intake problem solved
OH MY GOD dude! I can't believe it... after months and months my problem is fixed now. You were right!!! It was the BMS Intake. I put back in the stock intake and took it out for a test drive, no more fluctuation and jumps at low RPMS, holly cow. It's funny how I spent months on doing research, looking everywhere except for the damn intake. I must look like an idiot right now... but thanks a lot buddy!

Now, the thing is, isn't this something that BMS should be aware of and warn the customers when ordering their products?
Even if it's only under specific conditions and mods, it still needs to be addressed, I'd like to speak to someone from BMS and see if they can send me a refund or maybe a solution?

So in theory, the BMS Intake was getting more air during low RPMs which made the engine run lean at a certain point during the downshift from 2nd to 1st gear, so when the DCT tries to do the RPM matching action the RPMs are higher than expected.

Anyone from BMS around that can help us?
      06-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #35
scythe1969
Private First Class
Rep

Glad you found the fix! It wound up being the AFE intake on my car too. I had shelved it after my original post in this thread until I got the Cobb Tune, then put it back on. It worked pretty well for about 5 months and then it started having the same problems again. This time, it looks like the AFE filter needed to be cleaned, but I'm over it. I put the stock unit back in with a good paper filter and haven't had a problem with it in months. When I had it inspected the last time around, the codes I was getting was issues with the MAF. Looks like the N55s are very sensitive to the readings they get. My suggestion... leave the stock box in.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #36
xbrentx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

People have tried putting couple washers on each screw to hold maf away a bit or unplug it electronically leave stock maf connect don't plug in jb4 connector with baring results on is 5.10 I could unplug it jb4 maf deleteoption seems to work ask terrycloth bms some tuners say they can tune for intake fix it but you know the pain stock box ok
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #37
EvanAlfred
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i n55 DCT

sorry for reviving an old thread like this one. just wondering if anyone found the issue wrong with there cars. mine is having these same issues
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 02:06 AM   #38
scythe1969
Private First Class
Rep

As an update to this thread, I had the gasket tear on the stock airbox tube where it connects to the motor. This started causing a worse version of the problems stated above, mostly because the tear was post the MAF sensor (it couldn't compensate for the extra air being sucked in). I had to put the AFE CAI back in which made things better but the original idling problem was back.

My car did throw a code post related to the tear in the gasket; MAF and O2 Sensor. I did some homework and decided to try 'cleaning' the MAF sensor. I took the MAF sensor out of the AFE CAI and worked it over with CRC MAF cleaner and put everything back in.

What wound up happening after I cleaned the sensor was that the idle issues and surging went away completely. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the results. It's been 2 months and the problem is still resolved so I'm leaving the AFE CAI in place for now while I find a way to replace/fix the gasket for the stock unit.

My advice, especially since it's only $9 for the MAF cleaner - is try it, especially if you have an 'oiled' filter.

You can find some threads around here about the cleaning procedure (it's simple) and there are youtube videos as well. Also, Turner Motorsport suggests you do it annually as part of your regular maintenance (https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ckage/?pdk=AQE), so it's not that far fetched of an idea...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 02:15 AM   #39
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Interesting.

I'm really curious to try my stock airbox. My BMS filter is absolutely insanely filthy. Damn
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #40
jsong
Rep
Drives: 135is

Guys I have a question.
Same Symptoms, 2013 135is DCT.

But I don't have aftermarket intake. PPK2 is about all it has.
Whenever I have the A/C on the car starts jerking at stops, jumping forward and so far stalled on me once.

I've had BMW check it out while I had the warranty but did not find anything wrong.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #41
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsong View Post
Guys I have a question.
Same Symptoms, 2013 135is DCT.

But I don't have aftermarket intake. PPK2 is about all it has.
Whenever I have the A/C on the car starts jerking at stops, jumping forward and so far stalled on me once.

I've had BMW check it out while I had the warranty but did not find anything wrong.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Did you ever find a resolution for this issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #42
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

FWIW, I have a '13 135i N55 6MT - I leave the climate control in auto and have not had any of the mentioned issues, could it be the DCT as some suggest?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 06:10 PM   #43
reyiiteleco
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2013 M-Sport Package

Garage List
2013 135i  [0.00]
I have a E88, N55 135i 2013 with 38K miles.

I've checked ::

- MAF and MAP Sensors.
- Solenoids checked
- Spark plugs replaced with NGK high efficiency 2 stage cold
- DME upgraded by Dealership, latest release :: E89X-18-07-520 (lots of money just for this, ~$450)
- Engine Oil leaks checked
- Cylinders misfires (all OK)
- No a single fault code popping up with Bavarian Tool cable scans
- Reset Battery that I had replaced months ago without resetting computer on the car for it.
- Replaced Change pipe (because it was old and wanted to spent some money) VRSF chargepipe for e-Series BMW N55 Engine.

None of these above resolved the issue.

Important note :: Today I cleared the transmission adaptations with BimmerGeeks k+dcan cable and that resolved my 2 year old issue for once and for all

Hope it helps!

Last edited by reyiiteleco; 04-13-2021 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
Petro135451.50
      05-11-2021, 07:49 PM   #44
Albert Goodman
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30, 335i

Hello guys,

Apologies for reviving an old post, but I have a 335i N54 engine, and I’m having the exact same problem.
Has clearing the transmission adaptations proved to be the solution for this problem?
Appreciate 0