BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Traverner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Limp mode and DIY repair/reset?

My 2008 135i went into limp/half power mode last night when I went to go home from a friend's. Stayed overnight and the error has not gone away yet.

Is it possible that Autozone or other parts store open today can read the code, or will it require a specialized reader? Last time I had limp mode they couldn't tell me what the code meant, had to take it to a BMW shop, but maybe it was just that particular code(s).

If it was an intermittent issue, or if I am able to diagnose and replace the part (VANOS for example), will there have to be some reset to get out of limp mode, or is it supposed to automatically pull itself out of limp mode once the issue is fixed? Along those lines, is there any way for me to reset the computer such as disconnecting battery in case this is an intermittent issue that simply isn't resetting itself? Even without codes, I'm considering removing and cleaning the VANOS solenoids as a shot in the dark since I can't take it for service until tomorrow anyway.

Thanks for any advice, this is frustrating timing considering I started a new job last week which will complicate getting the car in for repairs if needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

It depends on the code. The generic OBD-II code scanners can only clear generic codes. They can not clear BMW shadow codes or specific BMW codes. You will need a tool like the BT(Bav Tech) or one of the coding USB/OBDII cables bought off of ebay with some "hacked" bmw SW.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
MIAblu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Monaco Blue 135i

This happened to me as well and I'm currently dealing with the issue... Is the car running sluggish/crappy and then throwing the "Engine Malfunction"? If so, I went to get the code checked at Advance Auto parts but nothing comes up. Got a Local coder to scan and he said it was my fuel pump because it wasn't reaching the pressure necessary and I immediately took it to the dealer thinking I'd be covered being that it was the fuel pump. BMW called me later in the day and said it was the low pressure fuel sensor that was failing and I literally just finished changing it and STILL my issue remains. Left the service rep a voicemail so I can either get my money back for the diagnostic I paid for which they claimed it was definitely that causing the issue and not covered under warranty, or for them to actually fix the fuel pump under warranty like I told them was the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Are you tuned at all? Both Cobb and JB4 have code reading ability that will be able to tell you pretty much exactly what is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Traverner
Private
Rep

Later that day that I posted this, after a 20 mile limp mode drive home, it went back into normal mode after a restart. Since then, one morning on the way to work same happened, but went away after restart again. On one hand, I'm glad it wasn't apparently anything serious and immediate, on the other, these random and/or intermittent issues don't make my friend or myself feel very confidant selling it to them, which was the plan in a few months.

The computer shouldn't clear codes, that is, even if I had limp mode a week or two, up to some amount of cache or whatever, they can look back and see what the code was, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAblu1 View Post
This happened to me as well and I'm currently dealing with the issue... Is the car running sluggish/crappy and then throwing the "Engine Malfunction"? If so, I went to get the code checked at Advance Auto parts but nothing comes up. Got a Local coder to scan and he said it was my fuel pump because it wasn't reaching the pressure necessary and I immediately took it to the dealer thinking I'd be covered being that it was the fuel pump. BMW called me later in the day and said it was the low pressure fuel sensor that was failing and I literally just finished changing it and STILL my issue remains. Left the service rep a voicemail so I can either get my money back for the diagnostic I paid for which they claimed it was definitely that causing the issue and not covered under warranty, or for them to actually fix the fuel pump under warranty like I told them was the issue.
Crappy situation. I think there is a BMW shop here in town that does free diagnostics (I'm sure only up to a point), but I think they'll at least read codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Are you tuned at all? Both Cobb and JB4 have code reading ability that will be able to tell you pretty much exactly what is wrong.
It was tuned by previous owner, but reportedly not with aggressive maps. I think it was JB3. I have never had it tuned for the last 25k miles though.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Traverner
Private
Rep

I may have jinxed myself. A few minutes after posting above, started up the car and got limp mode again. Took it to Autozone for a code read, and when started up there, it didn't give limp mode.

They did pull a code, P135B. Upon looking for this code, it seems it is actually P1358, although I thought it showed P135B too. Anyway, apparently this code means misfire on cylinder 9. Why would cylinder 9 be misfiring when this is a 6 cylinder engine?

Maybe it's a erroneous code but I am misfiring. Pretty bummed if that's the case. I replaced the spark plugs several months ago with new Bosch plugs and took care with proper torque, etc. and with the code not even telling me which cylinder it is, I can't imagine how I can troubleshoot/replace plugs. Particularly with it being such an intermittent issue.

Edit: I forgot that the ODB-II reader gave a code description of, "No DTC (dead top center) definition found." Doesn't match the list of BMW specific ODB codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Traverner
Private
Rep

Er, this is hopeful: http://www.pdfio.com/k-342568.html

P135B Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1)

Not too expensive of a part, and hopefully that'll put to bed these intermittent faults.
Appreciate 0