BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 320d

Hi anyone tried to put nbt evo on their 1m?
Did you get bimmertech or bimmer retrofit?

Retrofitted using an oem nbt evo id6 and an emulator it was easy install.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

would like to know as well!
      04-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
Alan1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have an Avin kit in the mail and will be installing next week. Dash components are already disassembled waiting for the unit to arrive. Fingers crossed it's plug and play as advertised. I waivered back and forth but finally had it with the poor iPhone integration with the stock system. I'll post photos and a brief review at some point. I am expecting the screen to stick out a bit higher than the stock NAV housing.

I have seen reference to a V3 system with 4G coming this summer. I am optimistic that the V2 system will be enough for my needs - I only need WiFi.

$600 all-in seems very reasonable if it works well.

https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-1-seri...on-system.html
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #4
Savethestickshift
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT4

I am also super curious....please keep us informed! Please and thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #5
Alan1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbellin View Post
Just finished the install this morning. In terms of the install - the only major surprise was that the unit does not drop straight into the original NAV opening. It required some relatively minor adjustment to the opening but still falls within the footprint of the original so you can go back to stock as needed.

The unit itself - it's a full blown Android computer on your dash. I have spent an hour with it so far. It is a HUGE upgrade from the standard unit - especially if you are somewhat tech savvy and don't mind configuring devices. It's not perfect - I am still working through some minor quirks. You get native Google Maps, WAZE, Spotify, ESPN, Prime Video, etc. right on your dashboard. Not sure I even need Apple Carplay which was my original intent. It does need an internet signal so I have it connected to my phone's hotspot. I would say that is mandatory if you want to maximize the experience.

Once I have it fully configured I will post a video. One of my concerns was that it would stick out too much vertically. After a quick drive I have no issue with the size. It could use a slip on cover to block the sun although the brightness is much better than the OEM unit and glare is not an issue. At night I can tell that there is a reflection on the windshield - again, a slip-on cover would resolve this.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alan1M; 04-29-2019 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 6
Tornado1M1206.00
low1352209.00
Tuxedo1398.50
BMWWorld234.50
seis-speed2426.00
      04-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Savethestickshift
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiremon View Post
Quote:
Just finished the install this morning. In terms of the install - the only major surprise was that the unit does not drop straight into the original NAV opening. It required some relatively minor adjustment to the opening but still falls within the footprint of the original so you can go back to stock as needed.

The unit itself - it's a full blown Android computer on your dash. I have spent an hour with it so far. It is a HUGE upgrade from the standard unit - especially if you are somewhat tech savvy and don't mind configuring devices. It's not perfect - I am still working through some minor quirks. You get native Google Maps, WAZE, Spotify, ESPN, Prime Video, etc. right on your dashboard. Not sure I even need Apple Carplay which was my original intent. It does need an internet signal so I have it connected to my phone's hotspot. I would say that is mandatory if you want to maximize the experience.

Once I have it fully configured I will post a video.
Can't wait to see the video. I'm curious how much higher it is than the stock unit. The car is mostly a weekend and track toy so I don't want it obstructing my site lines.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Nice. How easy was the install? I assume you still have full functionality with the steering wheel controls and center consul radio controls? Definitely post a video when you get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #8
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Once I have it fully configured I will post a video. One of my concerns was that it would stick out too much vertically. After a quick drive I have no issue with the size. It could use a slip on cover to block the sun although the brightness is much better than the OEM unit and glare is not an issue. At night I can tell that there is a reflection on the windshield - again, a slip-on cover would resolve this.
what about sound quality compared to the HK system?
      05-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #9
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep

i had the avin avant 3 in my e46 m3 right now.. just a question for the 1m, regarding the wiring etc was it easy to install? do you hear any hissing/static sound with the unit?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #10
Alan1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy View Post
i had the avin avant 3 in my e46 m3 right now.. just a question for the 1m, regarding the wiring etc was it easy to install? do you hear any hissing/static sound with the unit?
You can hear some static on startup. Even though I have the optical wire - and moved it to the new harness, I still have to use the aux input jack to get the audio to play through. You need to adjust the various volume levels to optimize it - once you do that I believe it is acceptable.

Still looking to do a video on the system - hopefully this week. Overall I like it. It's not perfect and is a bit temperamental but I can live with the flaws given the huge gain in screen size / performance and the ability to run Maps, Video, CarPlay, etc.

Last edited by Alan1M; 05-06-2019 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:08 AM   #11
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone tried this

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #12
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:

Can you tell me if the black plastic trim piece around the bottom can be removed? At least from what you can tell. Just wondering if I can wrap that in matching alcantara so it doesn't look 'off'
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:02 AM   #13
parish99
Maveric
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 BSM

Quote:
You can hear some static on startup. Even though I have the optical wire - and moved it to the new harness, I still have to use the aux input jack to get the audio to play through. You need to adjust the various volume levels to optimize it - once you do that I believe it is acceptable.

Still looking to do a video on the system - hopefully this week. Overall I like it. It's not perfect and is a bit temperamental but I can live with the flaws given the huge gain in screen size / performance and the ability to run Maps, Video, CarPlay, etc.
So now that you have been driving with it for a while how do you feel about it now? Any video of it yet?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #14
Alan1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
Can you tell me if the black plastic trim piece around the bottom can be removed? At least from what you can tell. Just wondering if I can wrap that in matching alcantara so it doesn't look 'off'
I believe it can but not 100% sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:23 AM   #15
Alan1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish99 View Post
So now that you have been driving with it for a while how do you feel about it now? Any video of it yet?

Thanks
I am happy with it. It's quirky but it's so nice having CarPlay on the dash. I just completed a 4 hour round trip to the mountains in it and it worked well. The #1 issue I had was the audio quality. I was able to resolve this by using CarPlay and connecting the phone to the car via Bluetooth. This won't work for video and any audio coming directly from Android but 95% of the time I am just using my phone.

I shot some video but have not had the time to put it together...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:40 PM   #16
parish99
Maveric
United_States
Rep

So does it basically emulate the original CIC screens within there UI? or do you have to switch back and forth between the android system and original system? Also can you install apps, like MHD flash tuning on it? I would basically want it just to update the crappy screen and get apple carplay, I just wouldnt want to loose any of the cars original functionality. I moslty play music through the radio anyhow so im not that concerned about music originating from the android system.

Also what happens to the original phone bluetooth system when you install this, does it only function now through the new system, I saw an option on there site for an aditional speaker input?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #17
Alan1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So does it basically emulate the original CIC screens within there UI? or do you have to switch back and forth between the android system and original system? Also can you install apps, like MHD flash tuning on it? I would basically want it just to update the crappy screen and get apple carplay, I just wouldnt want to loose any of the cars original functionality. I moslty play music through the radio anyhow so im not that concerned about music originating from the android system.

Also what happens to the original phone bluetooth system when you install this, does it only function now through the new system, I saw an option on there site for an aditional speaker input?

Thanks
The original CIC interface is accessible by holding down the menu button for 3 seconds - it toggles between the two. If your primary goal is a better screen and CarPlay, this is a good solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #18
parish99
Maveric
United_States
Rep

Got one more question, what do you think the odds are that new screen could be removed from the Avin bezel and retrofitted into the factory hood? It really looks like with some modification the screen itself would fit inside the factory piece.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:00 PM   #19
parish99
Maveric
United_States
Rep

Looks like the display itself comes out of the avin shell pretty easily which should make it small enough to fit in the original shell.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #20
Alan1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Got one more question, what do you think the odds are that new screen could be removed from the Avin bezel and retrofitted into the factory hood? It really looks like with some modification the screen itself would fit inside the factory piece.
I'd be surprised if it was that easy. Even a small difference in dimensions could cause problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 05:31 AM   #21
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep

Just to update i was able to retrofit an oem nbt evo id6 still waiting for my tpms and touch idrive controller module. Still figuring out how to make the reverse camera work. Already installed a trsvc module and still working on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      03-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #22
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy View Post
Just to update i was able to retrofit an oem nbt evo id6 still waiting for my tpms and touch idrive controller module. Still figuring out how to make the reverse camera work. Already installed a trsvc module and still working on it.
following!!