BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Seems Legit Garage
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

IBS Failure

On the IBS sensor there is the small blue clip with a wire for the BSD (bit Serial data interface) when I have this unplugged the car runs completely fine but I have codes for BSD fault, when I plug it in the codes go away but the car over heats. Oil temps go sky high (close to 250) before I have to stop the car.

Is my IBS bad?
Is this not supposed to be plugged in?

Reason I don't leave it unplugged is I'm scare to flash a new tune if the car cant communicate with itself I don't want it to brick itself.

Any help is appreciated.

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I seem to remember that one of those small cables on the battery was to be left disconnected. When the cars were shipped in was to put the car into transport mode - so the battery would not die until the car got to the selling dealer.

I thought it was the blue connector... but I am not sure. Maybe go talk to a tech at your local dealer. Bring some beer too.

I did find these two images that might help you out...

Name:  IBS  diagram  ibs-e1405300596847.jpg
Views: 3108
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  ibs bst   hqdefault.jpg
Views: 3190
Size:  9.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Your car's not going to overheat on account of the battery sensor being plugged in or unplugged. Also, to be clear, it didn't overheat you just freaked out over a gage you probably should just ignore.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
Seems Legit Garage
Private First Class
Rep

No I have done about 6 days of testing, without the BSD cable plugged in the temps get to 250 on my tablet while driving 45 mph within 5 min and without it I cant brake 230 doing repeated pulls for 25 min on the highway.....

Also please don't recommending not watching oil temps that's just bad advice
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
Seems Legit Garage
Private First Class
Rep

the IBS and BSD are on the k Can loop communicating between battery, water pump, alternator and oil level sensor. It can easily overheat without proper communication
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seems Legit Garage View Post
the IBS and BSD are on the k Can loop communicating between battery, water pump, alternator and oil level sensor. It can easily overheat without proper communication
You are completely wrong. The IBS will not cause the car to overheat. Your oil is hotter, that is it. No IBS means the car will run slightly differently, including a higher idle and constant charging but it will absolutely not damage itself. There is a pretty good tolerance with oil temps anyway and it can get plenty above 250 without damage. I am completely sure that if you keep driving the car it won't overheat...and if it does, it will ding and issue a warning before you get to a dangerous point.

Watching the gage is totally pointless not only because you get the above warning before things go south, but particularly because you don't understand what the readings mean.
Appreciate 0