BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Stoptech Upgrade or Coilover Upgrade

Hey All,

Wanted to get suggestions from track folks here... I have the option of either getting new coilovers or a Stoptech BBK.

Right now, I run ST XTA Coilovers - I spoke to a KW rep off the record at Monterey and these are literally the guts from KW V2 & V3 with linear swift springs (I added) and camber plates from the Clubsports. I'm looking at Ohlins or Clubsports as a DA upgrade.

I currently run HT10 pads, hard brakes ti-shims & race fluid + steel lines. These are actually pretty solid once they're up to heat. I run custom (shitty) brake ducting and haven't had any major brake issues but found a great deal on Stoptech ST60 kit.

Would you guys upgrade coilovers or go with the Stoptech brakes?
      08-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Brakes. Personally of the opinion that pimp suspension is super overrated.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
odj
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 135is + six other cars

The Ohlins (with a near-race alignment and a corner balance) were the single most transformative upgrade I've done on the car so far. Granted, they came after RSFB & M3 arms, and Stoptechs.

The stoptechs stopped me from boiling fluid at the track, which was a necessity, but I have a hunch that some of that overheating was due to nanny settings in the DSC module which I've just coded out (link: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216642). All that said... yeah brakes first man. Suspension makes the car more fun to drive, but brakes make it safer.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Brakes. Personally of the opinion that pimp suspension is super overrated.
Yeah I'm leaning towards brakes, nothing like total confidence going into a turn. Also, there's nothing wrong with these ST/KWs other than only being SA... I'd probably just make more of a mess trying to dial them in haha
      08-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Sounds like you don't really need either. Spend the money on more track time or toward a badass driving sim.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #6
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Money POV- your brakes will probably need rebuilding sooner or later, but BBK's need rebuilds at some point too so consider how good of a deal these brakes are if they are used.

I understand you're a real track rat- maybe money on MCS or similar high tier coilover is better spent than on KW CS or Ohlins. I have a friend who moved from RCE KWs to JRZs and was shocked at how dampers could be so much better.
      08-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Sounds like you don't really need either. Spend the money on more track time or toward a badass driving sim.
Buttonwillow seriously tests the stock brakes on T1 and occasionally get close to boiling the fluid (based on my feel). I definitely need more seat time but found an awesome deal on Stoptechs and will probably jump on the deal as I'll need them eventually and added confidence is always good.

Thanks for the input though...
      08-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #8
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
Money POV- your brakes will probably need rebuilding sooner or later, but BBK's need rebuilds at some point too so consider how good of a deal these brakes are if they are used.

I understand you're a real track rat- maybe money on MCS or similar high tier coilover is better spent than on KW CS or Ohlins. I have a friend who moved from RCE KWs to JRZs and was shocked at how dampers could be so much better.
Yeah the 2-way MCS would be great but I just bought a house in silicon valley and my wife would fucking kill me if I spent $4k on "springs" as she likes to call them.

I've decided to just pickup the brakes and keep my coilovers, drive them until I can't learn anymore and then move on. These XTAs are dirt cheap and perform well so I'll just keep them for now and relearn braking points with these Stoptech beefcakes up front.