BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #23
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
Screw it too, I'll be there. 6:00 am.
No spare tire, screw it! We have a trailer, I'll tow it back if I need to.
Hey man, saw your 135 today when you were leaving the track, not sure if you saw me but I was on a yamaha r1 black/red and gave u the :thumbup:

Couldn't make it to the drags, the ama was keepin me busy...
What did you run? Lets see some slips!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #24
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Sorry, I didn't notice you. There were quite a few bikes leaving when we left.

Quick run down on the car. Bone stock with the exception of KW Clubsport suspension. My camber adjustment was still set at maximum which probably didn't help much with the KW Clubsport as the spring rate and dampening was very stiff and the car barely squat to take advantage of the extra camber. Car was at full weight, didn't take anything out. Stock tires that are completely trashed.

1st run: 14.486 @ 100.14 mph. I spun 1st and 2nd gear. 60 foot time was 2.554. I was launching at 3.5k while slipping the clutch. I underestimated how bad my tires were. We were out at Buttonwillow Raceway (Road Course) for 2 days testing with KW suspension and completely destroyed the stock tires. I had less traction that I anticipated as the car spun the tires more than it ever had. At the same time, I overestimated my own abilities on launching RWD. I'm spoiled silly. I drag raced my AWD car for many years, 5k rpm and dropping the clutch. It was very hard to break that habit so I was having trouble modulating the clutch enough not to break traction so badly.

2nd run: 14.814 @ 100.2 mph. 60 foot times were 2.621. I dropped my launch rpm down to 2.5k. I spun even more in first. This time I completely broke loose and was veering off towards the other lane. I had to straighten out and let off the gas to regain control. Didn't spin 2nd this time due to this.

Bad driver + no tires = embarrasement. So by now, my confidence was shot and I was getting frustrated. It was late in the day and it seems I would only get 1 more pass in before the day was over. I contemplated "cheating" (turning the traction control back on) but decided against it. The car did not pick up speed as fast as when the traction was off so I figured I would loose anything I would gain from it.

3rd run: 13.633 @ 102.29. 60 foot times were 2.216. So this time around, I gave up trying to launch the car with dead tires. No launch, I just eased it out and floored it. Spun a little bit but FINALLY hooked up. Man, it felt good to break into 13's after struggling all day.

4th run: 14.852 @ 100.96 mph. After the previous decent run, I got excited and figured that I was getting the hang of it. I was wrong. Again, no launch, but this time I dropped the clutch too fast and floored it too slow. Bogged the car off the hole and almost stalled. Last run #@Q$!!!

So the car definitely can go a lot faster with a better driver and tires that worked. I think with good tires, decent driver and launching the car, the car is more than capable of 13.3-13.4 times. The conditions at the track weren't the greatest either. The parking lot aka track (the drag strip is part of the parking lot) did not offer much traction. It was very sandy too which didn't help. Also, we were fighting a fairly strong headwind. Wished it was a bit cooler, but not bad considering Fontucky weather.

Today definitely showed that I sucked bad and need to learn to launch a RWD car. Still was a productive day though. I got the baseline trap speeds I needed for our product development (1/4 ET=how good a driver is, MPH trap speed = car).

We took in car video as well as video outside that I will post once I get everything put together and edited.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #25
6sp_racer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
3rd run: 13.633 @ 102.29. 60 foot times were 2.216. So this time around, I gave up trying to launch the car with dead tires. No launch, I just eased it out and floored it. Spun a little bit but FINALLY hooked up. Man, it felt good to break into 13's after struggling all day.
Did you have a helmet?

Would have liked to have seen better #'s, but this is reality.

It's hard to duplicate car n driver and road and track #'s.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 08:27 PM   #26
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Yes, I had a helmet. I stop using it after the second run as I wasn't breaking into the 13's. I think my helmet is bad luck as I ran a 13.6 without it on.

Better numbers are almost guaranteed. Launching the car and getting decent traction was almost impossible with my trashed tires. I think if I had better tires on and launched the car, I could have hit 13.4, not far off from the 13.3 that CD and RT listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sp_racer View Post
Did you have a helmet?

Would have liked to have seen better #'s, but this is reality.

It's hard to duplicate car n driver and road and track #'s.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #27
6sp_racer
Rep
Drives:

I saw your video on youtube.

whoever you were racing must of got nervous and red lighted.

nice run!
Appreciate 0