BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Marvelousone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Unhappy Car Pulling To Left Hard - Out of Options?!

Early last summer I purchased some Hankook V12's on VMR 701 rims from a local, reputable tire shop. Leaving the shop I noticed that the car was slightly pulling to the left, but thought screw it, I'm getting coilovers in the next month or so, and I'll get an alignment and be ok.

Installed the coilovers a month or so later, got the alignment from a local shop, and no difference. The car pulls to the left slightly on normal roads, but at speeds over 100kph (on highway) it constantly requires correcting. This is especially bad in the left or middle lanes.

Fast forward to this summer, the winters come off, summers go back on, and again, it’s pulling. Yesterday I take it to BMW for an overpriced alignment, and they basically say thanks for paying, we made slight adjustments however the problem is still there. They believe it's the tire itself (front, driver side).

I take it to the local tire shop, they Road Force Balance all tires and everything seems ok, but they say maybe due to uneven wear, the tire is screwed, so I say ok, and purchase a new tire because at this point, I have no idea what else to do. Anyways, problem is still there, car is still pulling to the left.

It's been aligned by 2 shops, and has a brand new front left tire, and still pulls....can ANYONE tell me what this may be?

Thanks!!
      07-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

I started reading because I have similar, though probably less than your, pull to the left with my Hankook V12s. Then I kept reading and sound like you still have it without them. I'm subscribed out of interest. Hope it works out.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

so it doesn't do it with the winter tires on?
      07-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Marvelousone
Private
Rep

Takrdown - I actually just replaced the front left with another, new, Hankook V12. Whether or not that was the smart thing to do is up for discussion, but I didnt want a single tire to be different then the other three. So I actually still have all 4 Hankooks on.

Brusk - I only had my winters on for about 3 months or so ( Toronto, not so bad lately ) but the pull wasn't as bad. It was there if I recall correctly, but the two highways I drive on tend to be fairly sloped on the left most lane, which is where I always drive. So i will say it was there, but no where close to as bad as with the Hankooks.
      07-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
A few options still...keep in mind just because they have a Road force doesn't mean they know how to use it properly. I think i've read threads like that over the past yr.

1) Have another shop balance the tires (reputable shop- via your Regional forum members).
2) Have another shop due the alignment, maybe the same shop as above.
3) Buy new tires. FYI...the reason why some tires are cheaper is due to the mfg process (cheaper) and QC (Quality Control). This could affect the overall roundness of the tire and OD.

GL...I know it sucks.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You should swap the front tires left to right. And see IF the pull changes. IF it doesn't... swap the rear left to right. See IF that changes the pull. Chances are you have more than one bad tire.

Perhaps your frame is bent or the alignment just off. YES, even with two shops just doing an alignment for you. You know the term... "set the toe and let her go"!!! It happens a lot.

Ask around in your area... I am sure their is a shop known to cure problem cars like yours. You could have a bent shock or suspension part. Especially since your lowered.

But for now... you can change/swap your tires left to right to figure out IF its a bad tire or not. I assume you have checked your tire pressures right?

Dack

PS: Post both alignment specs. They did give you those right>?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Get your rear tires in the air somehow, grap a tire and try to wiggle it side-to-side. If you have any excessive play, check the rear toe arms and/or wheel bearings.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
+1...^^^ you may want to buy the Rogue rear adjustable toe arms from HP Autowerks. It makes alignments easier for shops.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Check all the tie rods, bushings, endlinks and that everything is properly tight.
Loosen everything and tighten with the car on the ground at ride height.
Double check you ride height that it's perfectly even.
Make sure your rotors and wheels are seating properly.
Swap the wheels around doing some testing.
Did you get to see the alignment printouts to compare and verify, it was a 4 wheel alignment?
Borrow a set of wheels tires off of a friend/coworker/forum member for a few days of testing.
      07-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Marvelousone
Private
Rep

Thanks guys for all replying. I'll try to answer some of the suggestions as best I can.

Ken - The alignment was done first at Altech motors, which I actually learned about on the forum. The second time it was done at BMW (yesterday). BMW as well as Altech checked to make sure everything was tight. The tires, without doubt are cheap, but were sourced from Tires23, which is also a reputable local vendor, which I'm sure many in the GTA go to. Buying tires is an option....but I'm honestly scared that after another thousand bucks, it'll be an issue still. And as for buying more parts....that’s the last thing I want to think about right now....even if it’s a good idea

Dackel - I totally forgot to mention that BMW did swap left and right tires, and noticed the pull changed to the right side instead of the left. That’s why they said it’s most likely the left front tire. Now of course it could be (and would suck) the front right tire instead...

In2str - BMW said they checked all 4 wheels for tightness, now I know that’s just what they are saying so if I happen to get it up on a lift sometime soon, I'll check for that.

Brusk - BMW said they checked everything for tightness and it’s all ok. I did not see the alignment specs, I'll ask BMW for those. I think swapping tires is a good idea and I still do have the stock BMW ones so that may be my best option.

If anyone else has any ideas, maybe if this is happening/happened to them, I would love to hear it. It sucks to keep spending money without any fix, and having the people who should know the answers tell you "we have no idea".
      07-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelousone View Post

Dackel - I totally forgot to mention that BMW did swap left and right tires, and noticed the pull changed to the right side instead of the left. That’s why they said it’s most likely the left front tire. Now of course it could be (and would suck) the front right tire instead...

How much tire thread does you other old tire have? The one on the right front now.

I would be tempted to buy another new tire for the front - to replace the old one.

Maybe your tire dealer can work with you... Tell them you will buy another new tire ONLY if the pull goes away. You can offer to pay for the costs of mounting and balancing though - if it doesn't workout. You want two new tires on the front end to fugue out the pulling issue.

One other thing... while driving on a straight uncrowned road... when you go WOT or let off the throttle... does the pulling change?

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
urmomgostocollege
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Sounds like a structural defect in the tire. I had the same problem with new tires on a Toyota SUV.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=12
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
+1 ^^^ it is not uncommon for one tire to be different than the other three it came with at the time of purchase. This happens sometimes, more often with cheaper tires. Repeat; Mfg, process control, and quality control.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
BruceWarne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Get new tires

My wife's car did exactly the same, with the same tires you're running. Swapped front wheels and it pulls to the other side, like yours...Replaced with Dunlops and it's good now.

You were unlucky - you should have replaced the right one.

If you have the $, replace the right one too.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
It most likely is the other tire. I would replace it. If your roads are anything like new jersey roads the belt may have shifted internally from a pot hole. I see this all the time in my shop on all makes of tires, even michelins.
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
bmwtechray
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335d

check your tire pressure make sure the fronts are the same and the rears are the same did u get a print out of the specs??? was it alinged with a full tank of gas ? did they weigh down your car ? coulud be a caster problem.
If the caster is out of adjustment, it can cause problems in straight-line tracking. If the caster is different from side to side, the vehicle will pull to the side with the less positive caster. If the caster is equal but too negative, the steering will be light and the vehicle will wander and be difficult to keep in a straight line. If the caster is equal but too positive, the steering will be heavy and the steering wheel may kick when you hit a bump.

or the sai (Steering Axis Inclination) whats your sai ??
Appreciate 0