BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 Porsche 911

Debating removing clear bra

My '13 128i, 9k miles, has a clear bra on the front bumper, leading edge of the hood extending down the fenders in front of the wheels, a-pillars, side skirts, bottom couple inches of the doors, rear bumper sides and trunk opening. It's a lot of plastic, and the edges catch dirt and generally look crappy.

I don't mind it hugely on the hood since it's helping avoid rock chips, but I'd like it to go away everywhere else. I've done some research on removing it, and purchased a steam machine, plastic razor blades, and 3M general purpose adhesive remover.

If anyone has experience with the process, am I opening a can of worms here? I'm concerned with paint damage and I'm not sure if it has years more life and I should leave it alone, if I should proceed with self-removal, or spend what'll likely be several hundred dollars on having it professionally removed. I removed vinyl wrap from a first-gen xB (old business car) a few years back and it went pretty smoothly. Is this stuff similar? Seems like the glue is more of a mess?

I just don't see the value in it and am tired of washing plastic film when I detail the car. Thanks for any input.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #2
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Monaco blue Metallic BMW 135i

Where I live the roads have a lot of gravel and the drivers like to text and drive, thus frequently driving half way on the shoulder of the road spraying rocks at whoever has the misfortune of being behind them....

What's even worse is that I don't have any 3m clear bra on my car and when detailing the car it hurts my soul to see how many rock chips are on the hood and front bumper area... Not to mention how useless the bmw touch up paint is, and how terrible it looks.

My dad's m3 has the clear bra and although it does feel wrong to be washing plastic and it doesn't look great when it's dirty, it looks 1000x better than the rock chips I have on the front of my car. I'd much rather have the 3m protection than the damage to my paint, regardless of how bad it may look. Just my $0.02 though.
      03-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

That film looks like a lower quality film or a film that is well beyond a few years old. High quality film (suntek, for example) is very clear and almost completely free of texture (orange peel) which renders it almost completely invisible unless you are really looking for it. Also, it is always a good idea to wrap an entire panel instead of just a partial panel to avoid the visible line that will accumulate dirt and grime over time. This will also help to make the clear bra seem invisible.

Clear bra can be polished and protected just like paint. This will help make it look more presentable and also make it easier to clean.

The entire front end of this car is covered in clear film (full bumper, full fenders, full hood)... you cannot tell it is there unless you're really looking for it up close around edges.

If you are dead set on removing it, the process is not that daunting. Heat and adhesive remove (or steam) are your friend. Warm up the film, then get an edge lifted, pull the film towards you rather than folded back over top itself. If the paint beneath it is original OEM paint, you should have no issues. Repainted panels with clear bra on top can be more risky.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 Porsche 911

Thanks for the additional info, Zach. Much appreciated.

FPS, you make fair points about keeping the film. I guess I just don't completely see the point of keeping the paint perfect underneath at the expense of it looking worse and annoying me all the time. I plan on keeping the car for a long time and of course don't want to pick up rock chips, so I guess I've just gotta balance my priorities here.
Appreciate 0