BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

04-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #23
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I'm torn warranty or power :iono: I'm probably going to go with suspension upgrades and a LSD then see whats the story on engine upgrades. but I'll never go Dinan most likely PROcede or AA

EDIT: my mistake my car is a January 16th build date PROcede all the way
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #24
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

i'm looking at that thread and I, only looked at the first page so far, but i don't see where it says that it is "plug and play." It looks like there are a few connections to make and it doesn't look like a simple 2 connection unit like the sstt.

Also, how do I determine the built date of my 135? can it be decoded from the vin?

the helix unit got some good reviews - that it has power up top and down low. But i haven't really seen independent dynos for it. I've seen dynos showing about 50hp for procede on a stock car.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #25
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1226

Customer Dyno, +78whp on a Mustang.

It's called "plug and play" because all those connections you see will plug directly into connections already present in the ECU box. You just unplug a few cables, and plug them into the procede harness. You don't have to do any splicing of wires anymore.

I wouldn't worry too much about the impedance logging rumor. I haven't really seen it widely reported yet, and chances are it's only something the dealer will look for in the event of a catastrophic failure. Not many people seem to be talking about it, and I haven't seen any "from the horse's mouth" yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
i'm looking at that thread and I, only looked at the first page so far, but i don't see where it says that it is "plug and play." It looks like there are a few connections to make and it doesn't look like a simple 2 connection unit like the sstt.

Also, how do I determine the built date of my 135? can it be decoded from the vin?

the helix unit got some good reviews - that it has power up top and down low. But i haven't really seen independent dynos for it. I've seen dynos showing about 50hp for procede on a stock car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #26
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thanks, even b4 seeing the dyno i had a feeling helix wasthe best non-warrantied chip (haha don't wanna get all the dinan fans riled up). But this proves it.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #27
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

if they can make a limp free v3..id be very interested
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #28
boostin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY00 S2000

is the procede tune-able? like if i brought it to a tuner, could he fine-tune it instead of just running the "off-the-shelf" map that comes with the procede? whatever tune i go with, it will have to have the ability to be custom-tuned on a dyno; thats the safest way to modify.

-Chris
MY00 S2000 #8712
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #29
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Good thing I have a Feb built N54.
      04-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #30
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
thanks, even b4 seeing the dyno i had a feeling helix wasthe best non-warrantied chip (haha don't wanna get all the dinan fans riled up). But this proves it.
one dyno doesn't prove it's the best non warranty. but it does prove it kicks dinans butt.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #31
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135, 1988 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
very untrue. 99% of the problems are due to user installation error and/or using unsupported bolt-ons. This new V3 looks to eliminate those two situations. I have had PROcede for over a year (15k+ miles) and not a single problem.

Anyone in the LA area considering this tune, I will do a free install on ONE 135i...
That is entirely not true. And in regards to your car, you have a Aug 06 build date. Your car does not have the checks system that the newer, e90/92 models have, esp the Jan 08+ ones. The 06 build ones will hardly ever throw a code.
      04-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #32
frank2287
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

So how much will this cost and how much power do you think this chip will put down
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #33
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

This is not meant to be a flame, just my observation reading posts.

I have read a lot about the different tunes before I bought the 1 series (initially had down payment on 3 series). I have heard both really good and really bad reviews of the proceede. The good reviews do numerically out weight the bads. HOWEVER, there are SOOO many problems (bads) that I cant justify getting this.

Also, someone stated in the post on e90 "are the version 2 problems even fixed yet?" I noticed this with their 1.47 (or what ever one threw limp mode) version throwing limp modes. It seemed they were focused on version 2 stating "this will fix the limp mode problems". Well thats GREAT for the version 2 people. But what about the 1.47 people?

I am no expert at cars, hell I can hardly change my own oil. Like I said, im just stating what I have read.

It seems that the sstt has had the least issues with the car. Although it doesnt have the power gains the proceede has I can except that. Since I purchased mine and didnt lease it I want my car to last a while. It is still unclear what kind of long term effects this aggressive of a tune might have. Hell to be honest if I was leasing it, id probably throw a procceede in there and let the engine blow. What do I care, its leased right! Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #34
imported_tek818
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsports_3 View Post
That is entirely not true. And in regards to your car, you have a Aug 06 build date. Your car does not have the checks system that the newer, e90/92 models have, esp the Jan 08+ ones. The 06 build ones will hardly ever throw a code.
Exactly which "checks system" are you referring to? AFIAK, the only benefit of having one of the earlier builds with early progman was that I would be less likely to get P0420 and P0430 cat. inefficiency codes if I had catless downpipes, which I do not. I have recently had my progman updated to the latest one, and absolutely nothing has changed. The only significant problems people are currently experiencing with PROcede are related to downpipes and/or installation problems; again, both of which the V3 looks to *potentially* eliminate.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #35
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

I am enjoying my SSTT and it took 15 minutes to install.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #36
imported_tek818
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
I am enjoying my SSTT and it took 15 minutes to install.

wonderful, thanks for the off-topic comment. FYI... I had a sstt for 3 weeks while I was waiting for my procede to arrive and got a limp mode with that. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #37
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
wonderful, thanks for the off-topic comment.
no need to get snapy

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #38
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Is V3 a totally different tune? I may very well be wrong, but I thought it was the same maps, but allow for an easier install/removal process.

This would definitely eliminate the problems people were having with messing up the wiring going into to the pins, or bypassing the wrong wire, etc...

This sounds like PROcede (in general) yields the highest rewards in flexibility and potential for max output, but has more risks for CELs and limps for a couple of reasons. First some of the maps had issues (which V3 may not be addressing), but also a portion of the problems were dues to improper or difficult installs (which this V3 appears to be addressing).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #39
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

LOL ok people calm down. This has been one board that hasnt gotten into many flame wars so lets try to keep it peacefull.

Tek 818 he just made a simple comment that he likes his sstt. No need to bring the e90 hostility over here.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #40
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i am really excited for this. I do not think tek818 should have to defend himself for the Procede product.

THe thing is beloved over at E90Post, and the only issues I have seen with Procede is to due with bad installations (hoses) or overheating, which happens in stock cars without an oil cooler.

I think its great that Vishnu tuning is constantly trying to imporve their product, and they should be appauded for doing so.

I was conviced to Dinan before this and spend an extra $700 to retain warrenty. Now that it is plug-and-play, I must reconsider. I am doing a 3 year lease, and I want to do stealth mods. Being fast swappable is a value proposition I cannot overlook!

Bravo for constant improvement!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #41
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
I got excited about this release, but with the news of the ECU update, I'm once again leaning towards Dinan.
My aplogies for the hijack and I did a search but found nothing, where is the info regarding an ECU update please.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #42
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

It sounds like there's some cool new stuff. They'll have two maps loaded onto the unit at a given time, and let you flip with a switch, like Helix. It also sounds like they'll be creating maps more specifically tailored to higher levels of modification, another one of Helix's big selling points. The new boost logic, using a TPS intercept like Helix does to control boost also sounds interesting. It sounds like they have some other things up their sleeves too. Even if it's just this stuff, it sounds like they'll have made procede do all the things Helix does, PLUS have plug 'n play style installation, which is a big selling point.

I love the competition developing in this market.

It sounds like most without mods beyond the piggyback won't pick up much power, but a smoother curve, and better linear response of the throttle. I think the folks with DPs/ICs will see some significant extra power. We'll have to see what other new features they toss out too. They might be able to push things a step further than they are now for full BPU cars. I wouldn't be suprised to see consistant ~400rwhp dynos if the gains with mods are as big as they're made out to be. Race gas maps flippable on the fly with a switch is nice too. Helix doesn't do off the shelf race gas maps, though I'm curious how much extra HP one would pick up with a racegas map. The ECU is very good at dynamic timing control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Is V3 a totally different tune? I may very well be wrong, but I thought it was the same maps, but allow for an easier install/removal process.

This would definitely eliminate the problems people were having with messing up the wiring going into to the pins, or bypassing the wrong wire, etc...

This sounds like PROcede (in general) yields the highest rewards in flexibility and potential for max output, but has more risks for CELs and limps for a couple of reasons. First some of the maps had issues (which V3 may not be addressing), but also a portion of the problems were dues to improper or difficult installs (which this V3 appears to be addressing).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #43
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
Helix-

Pro:
45 Minutes away
Storage of multiple maps
Dyno tuning
Very fancy hardware
Price
Power

Cons:
Less established in N54 community
Awkward way of switching maps
No plug and play
With the hardware and processing power on board, it should be able to run rings around procede in terms of boost logic, response, etc, we'll have to see if it does with this new version

Procede

Pros:
Good power
Good adjustability
Race gas maps with new version
Plug and play
Possible fancyness
Generally pretty good curves

Cons:
Limited hardware compared to Attache
Bad customer service
Bad reputation for ditching customer bases
Price
We'll see what v3 actually has to offer, 6 months from now! :biggrin:

For Helix you listed an awkward way of switching maps. I thought you flip a switch and voila map-o is switched-o?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #44
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Man just when i thought I was done now this. I may have to try this out when it comes out. Hell I know I will try this when it comes out.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread