11-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Tire, rim, and dent warranty

Hey Everyone,

So I will be picking up my car this coming week 11/30 and was wondering if any of you purchased the tire, rim, and dent warranty. I am considering doing this being I live in New Jersey and the roads are not so great. If you have done this or been offered this what offerers were you made price wise, and what exactly did it cover?

Also, I believe there are different types of this warranty some being through the dealer and others through the dealer? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Poppy4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, E36 sold

I pick up my 1M next Friday. I purchased the five year tire/rim warranty. My understanding is that the dealers cost is just under $1000. I paid $2000 for two reasons. One is history with my E36. I hit a pothole in Ny and it cost me an arm and a leg to repair just one wheel/rim. Two is that although I paid list for my 1M, it was understood that if I didn't go with this package, the deal wouldn't have gone through. In the end, I believe that I made the right choice. I am covered and I have a 1M!I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I went ahead and purchased it because I could cancel and get a full refund within 30 days if I changed my mind later. So far I still have it (and I'm past 30 days).

My BMW policy is administered by Safe-Guard. I'm not sure if that's true for all BMW policies.

A couple of things:

1. Price is negotiable. You should be able to get your dealer to come down some.

2. Term is variable, up to 5 years.

3. You can still cancel after the 30-day grace period. However, there is a $40 processing fee and the refund is pro-rated based on the number of months you've had the coverage and any claims that have been paid out.

I attached the policy terms and conditions in case you'd like to read up. However, you're probably better off getting a blank copy of the actual contract from your dealer, in case the contract is different. Just let them know you'd like to have a chance to review the contract ahead of time so you can get any questions answered, etc.

I had some specific questions that were not covered in the contract, so I e-mailed Safe-Guard and got the following response. My questions are in black, Safe-Guard's response is in blue:

My main question is whether a second, winter set of wheels and tires is covered under the program? My winter setup will be on the car for about 5 months, including during the early spring--the worst time of the year for potholes. If only the original equipment wheels and tires are covered, then I'll only have coverage for a little over half the year. Snow tires / winter tires are covered if they are OEM or OEM-approved. BMW does offer snow tires. Please check with your dealer to confirm your winter tires are OEM approved.

If winter wheels and tires are covered, can you please let me know if any of the following would affect my coverage:

1. If the winter wheels are not OEM (my car is a newly purchased BMW) Not covered.

2. If the winter wheels are OEM but are not purchased from a dealer Covered.

3. If the winter wheels are OEM but are purchased used Covered.

Also, while I'm asking, if I decided to switch out the original equipment summer wheels for a new set of wheels that were equal or better in quality, would the new wheels be covered? Yes, if they are OEM wheels and if they meet manufacturer’s specifications for your vehicle.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW Tire and Wheel Protection Contract.pdf (626.8 KB, 785 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Thanks for the information Poppy and BYU, I will be contacting my dealer to see what they offer and see if it is actually worth it. I did this on my previous 135 and it almost paid itself off in 2 years of ownership at the time I paid 1500 for it. This time around i plan on keeping the 1M so the 5 year plan will be the best. Now lets hope they give me a good deal..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

I passed because the tires are only covered down to the wear bars and given the soft tires and the camber BMW runs on this car, the inside walls will be there in 6-7000 miles or so. Also doesn't cover curb rash which is the majority of my wheel problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy4 View Post
I pick up my 1M next Friday. I purchased the five year tire/rim warranty. My understanding is that the dealers cost is just under $1000. I paid $2000 for two reasons. One is history with my E36. I hit a pothole in Ny and it cost me an arm and a leg to repair just one wheel/rim. Two is that although I paid list for my 1M, it was understood that if I didn't go with this package, the deal wouldn't have gone through. In the end, I believe that I made the right choice. I am covered and I have a 1M!I hope that helps.
What a repulsive action from the dealer to mark up your car. I would have cancelled it solely on principle after getting the car in my hands and repurchased it from a different dealer if you wanted the coverage.

FYI, dealer cost was $800 on the 3yr, about $400 less than MSRP.
Appreciate 0