BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i M Sport

Trunk comfort access spotty

I've been having an issue with my trunk comfort access.

It used to work every time whether inside my backpack or in my pocket. I usually have my hands full and pulling on the trunk stops me from fishing for my fob. I took everything out the trunk checked for water damage, nothing. The battery in the fob has been swapped so that's not the issue. After I put everything back in the trunk I walked away and tried 5 times, worked every time. This morning had all my gear, vest and had to drop everything to fish my fob out.

Please any suggestions would be very helpful. I have no other issues with comfort access in my 08.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

*bump*
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:56 PM   #3
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydragonz View Post

It used to work every time whether inside my backpack or in my pocket. I usually have my hands full and pulling on the trunk stops me from fishing for my fob. I took everything out the trunk checked for water damage, nothing. The battery in the fob has been swapped so that's not the issue. After I put everything back in the trunk I walked away and tried 5 times, worked every time. This morning had all my gear, vest and had to drop everything to fish my fob out.

Please any suggestions would be very helpful. I have no other issues with comfort access in my 08.
Hi. I once researched my comfort access being spotty, and it ended being because of water damage, but I remember reading that, when your car battery starts getting low, comfort access is one of the first things to go, so you may want to check to see if your car battery is performing ok.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 12:57 AM   #4
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Quote:

Hi. I once researched my comfort access being spotty, and it ended being because of water damage, but I remember reading that, when your car battery starts getting low, comfort access is one of the first things to go, so you may want to check to see if your car battery is performing ok.
Car battery was changed out last year. Would there be something I could replace for just the trunk? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Car battery was changed out last year. Would there be something I could replace for just the trunk? Thanks!
Hmm, then I'm not sure what's going on. Keyfob battery, car battery, and water damaged comfort access module are the only things I've come across in terms of things causing issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, then I'm not sure what's going on. Keyfob battery, car battery, and water damaged comfort access module are the only things I've come across in terms of things causing issues.
Quote:
Quote:

Could I just not be remembering right. Does the car have to be unlocked for the trunk to pop? Or can the rest of the car be locked and the trunk pop by grabbing the switch? Because it works when the doors are unlocked and I grab the handle.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 05:30 AM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Could I just not be remembering right. Does the car have to be unlocked for the trunk to pop? Or can the rest of the car be locked and the trunk pop by grabbing the switch? Because it works when the doors are unlocked and I grab the handle.
You should be able to open the trunk with the rest of the doors locked.

There must be an antenna for just the trunk. If I accidentally leave key fib in the trunk, it will not allow me to close the trunk, it will pop back open.
Appreciate 1
duder13767.00
      08-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You know, my trunk unlock switch (on the trunk, not the fob) is a little fiddly, and I often have to press it a number of times to get it to pop. Could it be the the switch is going bad? I haven't bothered to get mine looked in to, because it's just a slight annoyance.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:

Do you have the same problem
With your second set of keys?

If so then I would assume it's a problem with the sensor in the car.

Try holding your key fob arm length distance from your trunk and holding the open button on the trunk. And then move the fob closer to see how close it has to be to open the trunk.

If you can figure out when the trunk works as intended and when it doesn't, I think that would make the trouble shooting a bit easier.

As it is now it could be a lot of things.

My car is also a bit spotty with opening the trunk. But I haven't owned another BMW with comfort access to compare it to
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #10
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
Quote:

Do you have the same problem
With your second set of keys?

If so then I would assume it's a problem with the sensor in the car.

Try holding your key fob arm length distance from your trunk and holding the open button on the trunk. And then move the fob closer to see how close it has to be to open the trunk.

If you can figure out when the trunk works as intended and when it doesn't, I think that would make the trouble shooting a bit easier.

As it is now it could be a lot of things.

My car is also a bit spotty with opening the trunk. But I haven't owned another BMW with comfort access to compare it to
It actually worked twice today I think it has to be a ways distant from the car maybe a foot and a half. It's hard for me to get it to work every time. Before I had no issues with it so idk what happened. I will troubleshoot with the other key but I think it's the same. Maybe the sensor is going bad. Wish I knew which one so I could replace it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:10 PM   #11
lemansblau135is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135is

Garage List
2013 bmw 135is  [0.00]
Did you ever find out what's wrong? Mine is spotty too.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 06:15 AM   #12
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
It actually worked twice today I think it has to be a ways distant from the car maybe a foot and a half. It's hard for me to get it to work every time. Before I had no issues with it so idk what happened. I will troubleshoot with the other key but I think it's the same. Maybe the sensor is going bad. Wish I knew which one so I could replace it.
For the trunk comfort access, my car has the antenna just forward of the battery. If you pull the trunk floor cover out the antenna is just clipped into a black plastic bracket right there in the middle of the trunk.

Here's the TIS picture for it, mine's in the same spot.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-cou/L0Ru4JfG
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #13
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

just as an update going to be replacing my trunk switch today, (partially melted) I doubt this will solve my problem but worth a shot
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #14
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Changing the trunk switch solved my problem!! Now the car can be locked and I don't have to fish out my fob, just pull the switch and voila!
Appreciate 1
Suprgnat2312.50
      11-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #15
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Still having problems :/ once the car has been sitting over 20 min I have issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:53 PM   #16
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

Quote:
Still having problems :/ once the car has been sitting over 20 min I have issues.
Sucks.. wish ud get this shit solved might point me in the right direction as to why i have to b 2 feet from my car to lock/unlock