BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

Unfortunate and Bizarre Happenings to our Cars!

So, I thought a new thread on this topic might be popular. Tell us about odd and bizarre things that have happened to your car. I know most of us go to great pains to keep our cars nice... and yet in spite of all we do, things happen.

So, my very first 1M, around September of 2011, I took it out for a 5 minute drive around the block. 100% washed, perfectly shiny and clean. Everyone was going to give me the thumbs up, I just knew it.

Came to a stoplight, and by the hand of God himself, possibly sending me a message, a large flight of Geese just happened to pass over and completely covered my car in nasty gross bird poop. What are the odds?

100%!
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1209.00
      04-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I was pumping gas once when a nice Porsche 944 pulls in on the other side of the island. As he gets out I say nice car to him and he says same here. We start talking about his 944, then he checks out the 1M and were just lost in the cars when I realized I am running late to pick up my kid from daycare. I say, sorry, I gotta run, hop in the 1M and pull out only to hear faint thud and see something swing away in the mirror. I look back and see that I left the fuel filler in the tank. My heart stops and I check the fuel pump, no damage, I check the 1M thoroughly, no damage. I put the filler back in and head home and re-check everything, no damage but still it could've been disastrous. To this day, I check the right side mirror when I pull away from the gas station.
Appreciate 3
Esteban43369.00
etr201695.00
      04-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I was pumping gas once when a nice Porsche 944 pulls in on the other side of the island. As he gets out I say nice car to him and he says same here. We start talking about his 944, then he checks out the 1M and were just lost in the cars when I realized I am running late to pick up my kid from daycare. I say, sorry, I gotta run, hop in the 1M and pull out only to hear faint thud and see something swing away in the mirror. I look back and see that I left the fuel filler in the tank. My heart stops and I check the fuel pump, no damage, I check the 1M thoroughly, no damage. I put the filler back in and head home and re-check everything, no damage but still it could've been disastrous. To this day, I check the right side mirror when I pull away from the gas station.
You were lucky. I think that is a classic fear of drivers (at least it is for me), to pull away with the fuel filler still attached to the car. I almost always check the right side mirror before leaving the gas station even though I know I already removed the fuel filler. Better safe than sorry. lol
      04-13-2019, 01:45 AM   #4
black_1m
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M - Sold

I was so excited when I drove my 1M for the first time. Finally driving a manual car again! As I came to the first red light, I mistakenly put the 1M in reverse instead of 1st gear. Eventually, the green light came on and I reversed and nearly hit the car behind me. It would have turned one of my best days into one of my worst.

Still, to this day I thank my lucky stars that the car behind wasn't too close to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

I had just finished putting gas in the car, i put the pump back, and somehow the pump fell out of the holder and back towards my car missing it by about an inch. quarter panel damage is always the worst so thankfully i avoided it.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      04-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

Come on guys, I can't believe there have only been a few incidents. Fess up!
Appreciate 0