BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-15-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
Moosieth
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Misfiring for a Moment at Idle (?).

So, I just replaced the valve cover in my 2008 128i. I figured i'd change the spark plugs while i was in there.

Now, when I start the car, it starts normally, but after about 10 seconds, it begins to misfire and sputter. It sounds like its running out of fuel. It'll throw the code for misfires in cylinder 4 and 6. However, after about 30 seconds, the car will rev up slightly, and then it will sound and drive normally.

Further, every time I start the car, the clock resets. I think this is indicating excessive draw upon start up.

I think it could be that I used too much dielectric grease on the spark plugs, and now its insulating the voltage. Does this sound reasonable?

I'm just starting to fix cars, and this was my first big job. Now the car is scary to drive. :/ Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
Moosieth
Rep

I also already checked the coil packs. I switched the coil pack (not the wires) from cylinders 3 and 4. The code remained for cylinder 4.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Moosieth
Rep

Just pulled and redid the spark plugs. Now its saying that theres a misfire in cylinder 5 as well, that there's a "random misfire", and that the oxygen sensors between bank 1 and 2 are swapped (i didnt touch them?). I give up.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

You shouldn't need any grease for the spark plugs, if anything, you can put some on, then wipe it off with a rag just to get the outer surface a bit slippery for the coil to slide over.

Take a look inside the chamber to see if there is any pooled oil? Seems to be pretty common, especially since you mentioned you just did the valve cover as well.

Could also be an injector I guess?

Would help if you could post the actual codes that you get.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 03:01 AM   #5
Moosieth
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
You shouldn't need any grease for the spark plugs, if anything, you can put some on, then wipe it off with a rag just to get the outer surface a bit slippery for the coil to slide over.

Take a look inside the chamber to see if there is any pooled oil? Seems to be pretty common, especially since you mentioned you just did the valve cover as well.

Could also be an injector I guess?

Would help if you could post the actual codes that you get.
I get p0304-0306. Also I recently got a p0300 (random misfire). No oil in the spark plug wells, I already checked that. I was wondering, after more research, if maybe it could be the eccentric shaft sensor?

There was a bit of oil in that connector, but I cleaned it out using some mass airflow sensor cleaner. Did I screw it up? Should I have replaced it once I found the oil?
Appreciate 0