BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Installing Corbeau Bucket Seats in my BMW 135i

As I continue to go down the rabbit hole of weight reduction/track-inspired modifications... bucket seats were next up on the list.

With a budget of $1,000 shipped for a pair of seats and hardware to mount them, I started my search. Ideally, that price would include sliders because other people drive my car and a fixed seat would be inconvenient. I didn’t want fancy, reclining seats because I'm doing this to save weight. I was tempted to go with a pair of cheap NRG seats from eBay, but decided against it. Buying the cheapest possible safety equipment doesn't seem like a good idea.

That's when I stumbled on Corbeau's website and found some attractive, affordable options. I narrowed it down to their FX1 Pro seats for $339 each and E92 (E8X/E9X) brackets with sliders for $119 each. Quality, name brand stuff totaling up to $916, just within my budget!

A few days later and I had a package waiting at home.

Out with the old...

Seat installed on bracket and buckle swapped over...

All done!

I will admit, these seats are pretty comfortable for being a race seat. If I were taking the car on a cross-country road trip, I’d prefer the stock seats… but when will I be taking this car on a cross-country road trip? I’m much happier that my body isn’t flopping around when I’m ripping around the track!

I ordered a pair of 8″ seatbelt extenders so I could snake the belt through the seat. This allows me to buckle up within the seat instead of over the top of the seat.

Surprisingly, the stock seats weigh a massive 59.6 lbs! For comparison, the FX1 Pro and bracket weigh 27.4 lbs. That’s a difference of 32.2 lbs, bringing the total weight loss to 64.4 lbs for the front seats. I’ll take it! I also previously removed the rear seats, which saved about 55 lbs.

Next up; a carbon fiber sunroof delete and carbon fiber door panels!

Oh wait... airbag lights...

I used the ProTool app by BimmerGeeks to get rid of these error codes. Simply connect an Android tablet to your car with a K+DCAN cable and OTG adapter, open up ProTools and go to work!

Under the “Safety” section > MRS – Airbag > Coding > Standard, we must deactivate the following options.
  • Seat Mat Sensor (OC3_1)
  • Driver Seat Position Sensor (SPSF_1_CD)
  • Left-Side Airbag (SIDEBAG_LINKS_1)
  • Passenger Seat Position Sensor (SPSBF_1)
  • Right-Side Airbag (SIDEBAG_RECHTS_1)

For more information, read my complete write-up: https://my1series.com/2019/08/05/how...rbeau-fx1-pro/
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 2
AndyW656.50
      08-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You can't carry fat chicks with that seat. No bueno.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
You can't carry fat chicks with that seat. No bueno.
dude fat chiks go in the trunk..
you don't want to be seen with one .. they'll point and laugh!!
      08-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

these would be soo bad ass .. if only I wouldn't be removing the red seats in my car and continue witth the door cards and rear red seats ;(

and then ofcourse.. removing all the red interior..
love your car.. and appreciate all your effort and documentation throughout the process

::::going to the manuf site and seeing if they make red seats:::: - they make em in red/black .. fuck I really didn't wanna spend any money this week on the moneypit(1er)

Last edited by elitesales305; 08-13-2019 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: woohoooo
Appreciate 1