BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
kr3678
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i convertible

Add amplifier to 2010 base stereo?

I recently purchased a 2010 135i convertible with the base stereo system. I would like to keep the factory stereo look, so I have been checking out various plug and play options. Unless I am reading things wrong, it appears my only option to add a PnP amp is the BMW/Alpine option.

Does anyone have any other options I should check out?
'87 VW Cabriolet
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
I recently purchased a 2010 135i convertible with the base stereo system. I would like to keep the factory stereo look, so I have been checking out various plug and play options. Unless I am reading things wrong, it appears my only option to add a PnP amp is the BMW/Alpine option.

I am pretty sure you can get an amp from Bimmertech. I've read good things on the forum but haven't heard it personally. Check out their site https://www.bimmer-tech.net/speakers...ifier-for-bmw/

I've no affiliation but I have the 676 Top Hi-Fi and have been considering their upgraded amp for a while now. Looking at their site they make it for the base and Top Hi-Fi. My wife's mini has the HK system and it is FAR superior to the Top Hi-Fi option in my 135i which isn't bad but isn't impressive by any means.
      09-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
kr3678
Private
United_States
Rep

Just getting back to this.

After nearly a year with this E88, I am convinced that the number one thing it needs is amplifier power. However neither BimmerTech nor BavSound offer amplifiers for my car, according to their respective websites.

Both offer complete replacement packages of the speakers and subwoofers. I previously installed a BavSound speaker package in my former E46 coupe and frankly, I was disappointed with it. It certainly didn't blow me away.

Not sure what to do next; I guess get used to driving without hearing the music.
'87 VW Cabriolet
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Just getting back to this.

After nearly a year with this E88, I am convinced that the number one thing it needs is amplifier power. However neither BimmerTech nor BavSound offer amplifiers for my car, according to their respective websites.

Both offer complete replacement packages of the speakers and subwoofers. I previously installed a BavSound speaker package in my former E46 coupe and frankly, I was disappointed with it. It certainly didn't blow me away.

Not sure what to do next; I guess get used to driving without hearing the music.

Find a good stereo shop in your area. You should be able to find a shop that knows BMW audio systems and how to code the factory head unit to work with an amp. Hopefully they don't use any 3M scotch connectors too. lol I think you just need to talk to some local experts.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Agreed at least to not give up. I do believe the head unit can be coded to a different setup, and then you can use line level outputs (without any built in equalization nonsense) to power an amp and a typical setup afterwards. 8" under the seat, 4's in the door, tweeters in new sail panels, a trunk sub if desired, and so on.

I had some dealings in the past with MusicarNW and was super happy. Explained all my options and eventually sent a totally plug & play kit for amp upgrade and sub. I think the guy went by "VP Electricity" here. I'd suggest sending him a message or calling the shop. Local options may be good too.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      09-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
kr3678
Private
United_States
Rep

I am learning a lot; still don't have a plan.

BavSound offers coaxial speaker replacements. No components for the front, no subs and no amplifier.

Bimmertech offers speakers only, including subs. No amplifier.

MusicarNW does not offer anything for base stereo. They will do custom work in their Oregon shop, but I am in Georgia so it's not an option.

The BMW Alpine kit: the amplifier is for the subwoofers only. The kit replaces the door speakers and adds tweeters to the mirror panels, but these speakers are still driven by the head unit power. The kit does not include replacement subs.

Helix Match, Rainbow, Focal, Rockford Fosgate and MB Quart all offer replacement drivers. None of them offer amplifiers.

Next up is talking with local installers to see if I am comfortable with their knowledge.
'87 VW Cabriolet
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Talking

Quote:
I really didn't like the factory stereo system in my e82 so I installed a full on 90s style stereo system with two amps, Pioneer DEH-80PRS, Hertz components in the front and a 12 inch CAB / Sundown prototype sub in the rear and it's a bit overkill and can get super loud! Knocked my mirror off the windshield loud! I am actually thinking about selling the 12 inch sub and building a more conservative setup one that isn't super heavy but you do have options. Reach out to some local car audio shops and they should be able to help you.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Dang! You're right, not easy.

MusicarNW, I believe, used to offer kits. Did you contact them directly? Perhaps no longer but it sure looked like it. They sent me everything I needed to make an embarrassingly easy installation but it was an amp, sub, and various harnesses to an HK system, not a base system. Check here:
https://musicarnw.com/e82-1-series-c...ereo-upgrades/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATBMW View Post
... I installed a full on 90s style stereo system ...
Nice! I am thinking that if a way can be found to get a flat signal output from the Base stereo head unit (or at a minimum compensated for), this is the way to go afterwards. Once you've got a good signal you can do pretty much anything.

Along those lines... Getting out of the 1990's idea and into the 20-teens, There would be a chance to do it without the head deck if you were comfortable with the idea of just connecting a phone or other player to an amp, which is then of course classically connected from there (signal, power, ground, turn-on signal to the amp, and the multitude of speaker wire outputs).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #9
kr3678
Private
United_States
Rep

I did check with musicarnw directly via email.

My understanding is the head unit can be coded to provide a flat response (not the default setup for the base radio). I'm still trying to figure out a local installer I trust.
'87 VW Cabriolet
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:24 AM   #10
Te82blue
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

Quote:
I did check with musicarnw directly via email.

My understanding is the head unit can be coded to provide a flat response (not the default setup for the base radio). I'm still trying to figure out a local installer I trust.
I would advise to get a Match Up 7DSP wired into your car, it would give you a lot of options (even bluetooth audio). The oem stereo not having a flat response won't be to much of a problem once you tune your audio system. Wiring up a DSP (Digital sound processor amplifier) in our cars is not as challenging for our base model stereo systems.

There currently isn't any plug and play amp options for the base system only because the speakers are wired only into the oem stereo. Changing just the speakers wont do it either because the stereo cannot output enough watts to run better speakers (even the stock speakers lol)

I just recently installed a DSP amp into my car (Base audio system) with the oem stereo and it sounds better, if you tune it right. I do work at a car audio shop and I am currently working on best audio solutions for our cars.

cheers!
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #11
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Quote:
I am learning a lot; still don't have a plan.

BavSound offers coaxial speaker replacements. No components for the front, no subs and no amplifier.

Bimmertech offers speakers only, including subs. No amplifier.

MusicarNW does not offer anything for base stereo. They will do custom work in their Oregon shop, but I am in Georgia so it's not an option.

The BMW Alpine kit: the amplifier is for the subwoofers only. The kit replaces the door speakers and adds tweeters to the mirror panels, but these speakers are still driven by the head unit power. The kit does not include replacement subs.

Helix Match, Rainbow, Focal, Rockford Fosgate and MB Quart all offer replacement drivers. None of them offer amplifiers.

Next up is talking with local installers to see if I am comfortable with their knowledge.
I had base stereo in e93 2010. Was terrible for a convertible.

I did the alpine kit. Sounded quite good. On par with hk in my other car at the time, a 135 coupe with HK.

The front speakers are amplified as are the subs with the alpine kit. The rears run off headunit, so just for fill. As you know you need the tweeter housings.

I did add a set of used hk subs, the alpine kit and was satisfied. Not great, but fully plug and play except that you need the car coded to 676 hifi. Otherwise was bass boosted and boomy in a bad way when first installed.

I just picked up a 2011 135 with the base audio.

I'm going with an android head unit and replacing speakers with some infinity 4 inch 2 ways and some hk subs.

This car has no Bluetooth, sirius, backup camera or sensosrs, etc. So I can add them all for 300 dollars and supposedly plug and play.

Probably won't install until weather cools down though.

https://www.erisin.com/products/erisin-es8140b-7x5-64gb-android-100-car-dvd-carplay-auto-gps-4g-dab-dsp-satnav-bmw-1-serie-e81-hatchback-e82-e88

If the car had Bluetooth and sirius I probably would have just done the alpine kit again.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #12
sfarisminhas
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 Saloon 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATBMW View Post
Quote:
I really didn't like the factory stereo system in my e82 so I installed a full on 90s style stereo system with two amps, Pioneer DEH-80PRS, Hertz components in the front and a 12 inch CAB / Sundown prototype sub in the rear and it's a bit overkill and can get super loud! Knocked my mirror off the windshield loud! I am actually thinking about selling the 12 inch sub and building a more conservative setup one that isn't super heavy but you do have options. Reach out to some local car audio shops and they should be able to help you.
I have the 80prs, Audison underseats, Audison front components and an Alpine type-r in the boot. All driven by a Pioneer 5 channel amplifier. For some reason the auto TA and auto EQ feature on the rear channel doesn't work correctly. It worked on my previous amplifier. Looking to change to the new Audison SR line.
Appreciate 0