BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Heintze33
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Valvetronic Issues

Hello,

New to the forum, and hoping to get some help with a valvetronic issue I am having a heck of a time figuring out. A little background. I have a 2011 135i. Car was running great, sat for a week, and when I went out to start it, it wouldn't turn over. Pulled code "2DCF Valvetronic System: No Movement identified". Had my mechanic replace the valvetronic motor, and after he set the limits etc., the car still wouldn't start. He claims he tried to figure out the issue, and he can't figure out what the problem is. He is basically telling me that the car needs a new engine. I got the car home, put the scanner on it, and these are the codes it throwing:

371A: Valvetronic, supply voltage: line disconnection

2A61: Relay, Ignition and Injection System, Supply Voltage, Fuel Injection: Line disconnection

2DC6: Valvetronic, Supply Voltage: Malfunction

2DB6: Valvetronic Relay, Activation, Line Disconnection

371E: Relay, Ignition and Injectors, Activation: Line Disconnection

I have checked all of the connectors, and can't find anything disconnected, or any shorts anywhere.

Hoping someone might have some experience with the valvetronic electrical system.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

The car won't turn over? Sure you don't just need a starter motor or ground strap?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
Heintze33
Rep

The car tries to turn over, but doesn't start. Checked the ground strap, and looks to be good. Starter tests as working.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Sometimes the valvetronic harness goes bad, sometimes when the actuator goes bad it can burn out the Dme, it’s also possible the fuse is blown.

Unfortunately it can be tricky to diagnose, I’d have to look at a wiring diagram, but I think on the e82 the fuse is in the power distribution box on top of the battery. (I’m not 100% sure, some cars have a separate “IVM” module that supplies power). I would start with checking for power at all of the cables that are plugged into the power distribution box. If that is good I’d swap out the harness (usually not the problem but worth a shot), and if that doesn’t fix it your probably looking at a bad dme.

Also when the actuator goes bad it is usually recommended to change the eccentric shaft with it. The teeth wear out on the sprocket and cause excess drag which wears out the actuator. It’s also a good idea to perform the “running in” of the eccentric shaft (different from setting the limits) which you needs ISTA for.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
EvanAlfred
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i n55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heintze33 View Post
Hello,

New to the forum, and hoping to get some help with a valvetronic issue I am having a heck of a time figuring out. A little background. I have a 2011 135i. Car was running great, sat for a week, and when I went out to start it, it wouldn't turn over. Pulled code "2DCF Valvetronic System: No Movement identified". Had my mechanic replace the valvetronic motor, and after he set the limits etc., the car still wouldn't start. He claims he tried to figure out the issue, and he can't figure out what the problem is. He is basically telling me that the car needs a new engine. I got the car home, put the scanner on it, and these are the codes it throwing:

371A: Valvetronic, supply voltage: line disconnection

2A61: Relay, Ignition and Injection System, Supply Voltage, Fuel Injection: Line disconnection

2DC6: Valvetronic, Supply Voltage: Malfunction

2DB6: Valvetronic Relay, Activation, Line Disconnection

371E: Relay, Ignition and Injectors, Activation: Line Disconnection

I have checked all of the connectors, and can't find anything disconnected, or any shorts anywhere.

Hoping someone might have some experience with the valvetronic electrical system.
It most certainly does not need a new motor! hey brother, I've been owning a 135i 2011 for 4 years now. I first got my valvetronic motor shadow code back when I first got the car. Didn't think much of it since it was a shadow code. It got worse over the years and progressed. I replaced the valvetronic motor like you did, (about 8 months ago) and had the same issue. I couldn't get the car to learn the new valvetronic. Further investigation showed the actual eccentric shaft that the valvetronic motor rotates, was eaten up and therefor causing a slip on the motor and shaft. Causing the ecu to not see any movement from the valvetronic. Me and the shop that did the labor for me, sourced out a used eccentric shaft from a 20,000 mile old n55 he had at the shop. Boom problem fixed! Havent had any more problems with valvetronic, fingers crossed! Hope this gives you an insight! You could be having the same issue Heintze33
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
Heintze33
Rep

To be honest, the mechanic has lost any future business from me due to telling me it needed a new engine. It seemed pretty apparent to me that there is an electrical issue with the valvetronic system. Appreciate everyone's input. Going to try a new harness and check the valvetronic relay and fuses again. The mechanic claimed he checked them, but it's probably a good idea to "double check" everything he claimed he did...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 06:23 PM   #7
Ross4ze
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Sometimes the valvetronic harness goes bad, sometimes when the actuator goes bad it can burn out the Dme, it’s also possible the fuse is blown.

Unfortunately it can be tricky to diagnose, I’d have to look at a wiring diagram, but I think on the e82 the fuse is in the power distribution box on top of the battery. (I’m not 100% sure, some cars have a separate “IVM” module that supplies power). I would start with checking for power at all of the cables that are plugged into the power distribution box. If that is good I’d swap out the harness (usually not the problem but worth a shot), and if that doesn’t fix it your probably looking at a bad dme.

Also when the actuator goes bad it is usually recommended to change the eccentric shaft with it. The teeth wear out on the sprocket and cause excess drag which wears out the actuator. It’s also a good idea to perform the “running in” of the eccentric shaft (different from setting the limits) which you needs ISTA for.
+1
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
EvanAlfred
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heintze33 View Post
To be honest, the mechanic has lost any future business from me due to telling me it needed a new engine. It seemed pretty apparent to me that there is an electrical issue with the valvetronic system. Appreciate everyone's input. Going to try a new harness and check the valvetronic relay and fuses again. The mechanic claimed he checked them, but it's probably a good idea to "double check" everything he claimed he did...
please look into the eccentric shaft as well!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
EvanAlfred
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Sometimes the valvetronic harness goes bad, sometimes when the actuator goes bad it can burn out the Dme, it's also possible the fuse is blown.

Unfortunately it can be tricky to diagnose, I'd have to look at a wiring diagram, but I think on the e82 the fuse is in the power distribution box on top of the battery. (I'm not 100% sure, some cars have a separate "IVM" module that supplies power). I would start with checking for power at all of the cables that are plugged into the power distribution box. If that is good I'd swap out the harness (usually not the problem but worth a shot), and if that doesn't fix it your probably looking at a bad dme.

Also when the actuator goes bad it is usually recommended to change the eccentric shaft with it. The teeth wear out on the sprocket and cause excess drag which wears out the actuator. It's also a good idea to perform the "running in" of the eccentric shaft (different from setting the limits) which you needs ISTA for.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #10
Heintze33
Rep

I have changed out the relays, fuses, and installed a new valvetronic harness. Still getting the valvetronic errors. I am guessing the DME is the culprit at this point. Does anyone have any experience with getting your DME's repaired? I would much prefer a $300 DME repair vs buying a new DME.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #11
1smokehouse
Second Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LE

Garage List
I too am having valvetronic issues. Got the shadow code several times over the last 2 years. Happened three times in a week, so I ordered a VDO actuator from FCP Euro, and had the Indy install it, but it didn't work. Car would run, but it was making all kinds of noise. The Indy put in a BMW actuator, but the car still isn't running right. The timing is a little off. They recommended replacing the shaft and bearings. Got the parts on order. Not cheap thats' for sure. This whole gig could cost me 5k in parts and labor by the time it's all done.
      11-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #12
Tallicia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 and 1 series

Garage List
2013 X6  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i M Spo ...  [0.00]
What was the result? Did the DME go bad? It looks like decade old Bosch MEVD172 DMEs are starting to have component failure. If places were capable of testing and repairing the circuitry in them it would be really good. So many places in Germany do it.