BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Should I get Dinan Camber Plates in addition to all my other M3 suspension upgrades?
Yes 7 87.50%
No 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

03-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
aritala
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.00]
What is the perfect negative camber?

So I just purchased a set of M3 Front Control Arms, Rear Guide Rods, M3 Sway Bar, Dinan Rear Shock Mount Kit, Bilstein B12 Suspension Kit and Dinan Camber Plates for my 135i. My question is whether the Dinan plates will be over-kill as far as negative camber in light of all the other suspension upgrades. The plates give an additional -0.7 camber and I know the other improvements add their own varying degrees of negative camber.

In light of all the other upgrades, will the plates: 1) cause the car to have that dreaded "stanced nation" look (i am opposed to any noticeable/visible stancing) and 2) will the plates cause the tires to go bad prematurely and result in even tire wear? If so, how much sooner than normal under the same driving conditions?

I am not planning to seriously track the car at this time, I just want a firmer, planted and more responsive ride as a daily driver. I also have JB4, Catless Dp's and BMS DCI as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Congrats on all the goodies, aside from all the m3 bits sounds like what I'm going for also. Based on reading other forum feedback, you are likely right at the edge of what you'd want for a stree car. You'll probably be right around -2 degrees, which if you drive agressively enough shouldn't cause excessive inner wear.

I am just doing camber plates to help turn in a bit as well as add a tiny bit of height to the front, don't feel the need to do control arms at the front yet....but I doubt you'd see much negative camber visually even with both components. There are some pics if you dig showing the camber and it's not much visually.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
aritala
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Congrats on all the goodies, aside from all the m3 bits sounds like what I'm going for also. Based on reading other forum feedback, you are likely right at the edge of what you'd want for a stree car. You'll probably be right around -2 degrees, which if you drive agressively enough shouldn't cause excessive inner wear.

I am just doing camber plates to help turn in a bit as well as add a tiny bit of height to the front, don't feel the need to do control arms at the front yet....but I doubt you'd see much negative camber visually even with both components. There are some pics if you dig showing the camber and it's not much visually.
Thanks man. I think they are a great investment and transform the car into what it should've been out of the factory. -2 isn't too bad. I wouldn't mind a little lift in the front given the 1 inch drop I will get from the B12 either. Could you post some of the pics of -2 if you have them? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

All of it. As much as you could possibly manage to get. Run a pyrometer on the front tires and you'll see that to be the case. Minimum of 3-3.5.

Now, having run this camber setting on a large number of autocross cars in the past that also saw street use, the wear can easily be mitigated through proper front toe setting (0), and rotation from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

If you don't add it, you'll eat up your outside sidewalls. Ask me how, I know.
      03-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aritala View Post
Thanks man. I think they are a great investment and transform the car into what it should've been out of the factory. -2 isn't too bad. I wouldn't mind a little lift in the front given the 1 inch drop I will get from the B12 either. Could you post some of the pics of -2 if you have them? Thanks
Quick search led to one of the ones I recall...there are more but here's a car with -2:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...48&postcount=6

The poster (Chris82) was replying to someone with the same concern about the "look" of negative camber, as you can see it's not bad at all so nothing to worry about in terms of the look.

As per the other posters with experience, you should be fine with proper toe settings, good tire rotation policy, and driving the car like it's meant to be driven
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
aritala
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quick search led to one of the ones I recall...there are more but here's a car with -2:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...48&postcount=6

The poster (Chris82) was replying to someone with the same concern about the "look" of negative camber, as you can see it's not bad at all so nothing to worry about in terms of the look.

As per the other posters with experience, you should be fine with proper toe settings, good tire rotation policy, and driving the car like it's meant to be driven
Thanks for the post that was really helpful. I read through that thread and it seemed like OP had noticeable wear on the front tires less than a few weeks after doing the adjustment. Also, the general consensus from other posters on that thread seems to be that though it'll give you better handling at the limit, it's unlikely you'll ever get there as a daily driver (i don't really intend to track this car) so because im not going to be pushing it around a track hard enough to offset the wear it seems like the plates will end up overcompensating and wearing the tires unevenly.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
If you do not plan to track or autocross your car at all, the Dinan plates are debatable and even the sway bar are debatable. However, adding the plates will not cosmetically cause an issue and might only slightly contribute an inner tire wear issue. It will depend on how aggressively you drive on the street and how little toe you set your alignment at. Toe and camber in combination eats up tires.

I did not add sway bars or camber plates when I did my suspension. If I had it to do over and I had the slight extra money, I'd do front and rear sway bars, and Dinan plates, and I do not track or autcross my car at all. As far as perfect camber for day to day driving, I think 2deg front and rear is perfect.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0