BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i DCT

Followup...standard audio speakers upgraded

Just thought I should followup my post on some issues that came up during my speakers and amp upgrade last week. I brought the car back yesterday to Jeremy, my installer. Here were the issues and solutions.

Issue 1 - Insert key fob into ignition and only the factory amp turns on. The Zapco amp would turn on only after pressing the start/stop button. Some mentioned about a little black wire that leads to the factory amp's remote turn-on. Jeremy had already tapped into that last week during the initial installation. Apparently, there needed to be a second signal source.
Solution 1 - Jeremy did a second tap from a factory speaker to the Zapco amp and in essence built a remote turn-on adapter around it. This is my understanding...the radio is an accessory just like the lights in the car. The interior lights turn on when you open the door without inserting the key into the ignition. The signal for the interior accessories to "come alive" also feeds the factory amp and down the line to the speakers. I'm not an electronics expert and I don't know if it makes sense but it works! Both the factory and Zapco amps now fire up at the same time.

Issue 2 - Zapco amp was excessively amplifying the door and seatbelt chimes. Volume was very loud and couldn't be controlled with the radio's volume knob. The operator manual for the radio states that there is a volume adjustment within the audio functions menu. I tried that...it doesn't work. There was another thread that addressed the chime issue and everyone who replied also said it didn't work.
Solution 2 - Simple enough...lower the gain on the new amp. I was afraid of losing sound quality. Only a slight adjustment was needed. Quality was not lost. Chimes are now just a tad below their original volumes...very nice. Bluetooth volume which I thought was also an issue is really not since it is controlled via the radio volume knob.

Issue 3 - During the week after the install I experienced some dropoff at the low end. This was common according to Scott my audio consultant.
Solution 3 - Adjust the bass gain on the amp while experimenting with different crossover points. AMAZING! The bass is even better than last week! The Zapco amp powers the factory subs. Now I know that there are much better aftermarket subs. Also, the sound quality may not measure up to audiophile standards. But folks, who would have thought that factory subs could thump. Let me tell you...these BMW subs can THUMP!! My bass control knob is set at level 3 and I can still be heard outside of the car. Scott and Jeremy brought out the best that the factory subs can be. What a transformation!

Issue 4 - No suitable 8" aftermarket woofers to fit under the seats. Some suggested Earthquake sws8. Scott was well aware of the Earthquake's availability but did not suggest it. Here is the reason. Although the Earthquake fits the mounting bracket and clears the mounting depth requirement, the problem is the amount of excursion travel (I think that's what he called it). Even though the sub is 8", the hole cutout in the carpet beneath the speaker grille is only 5". That means there is a layer of carpet partially covering the speaker cone. As the cone travels up and down moving air, there is a chance that the cone can touch the underside of the carpet causing a splatting sound. He couldn't tell for sure because the clearance was that tight. Taking the conservative approach he suggested other alternatives. I'm glad he did. I would have done the same. He could have probably cut the carpet but I requested at the start that no cutting or hole punching be done. There must be a reason for the carpet overlap.
Solution 4 - See solution 3 above.

My audio setup is:
- 4" MB Quart with separate matching tweeters powered by Zapco i-Force 450 amp,
- Factory subs powered by the Zapco amp
- Factory rear speakers powered by factory amp

Everything worked out well. I am very happy and grateful to those two problem solving pros, Scott and Jeremy at Speakerlab in Seattle. They made my audio system ROCK!!!
      07-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Thanks - nice writeup!!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Bye Bye GTI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Great to hear that they fixed the chime issue for you and thanks for taking the time to write this up!

I have been doing lots of research - which may interest you too - on the earthquakes as this is what I am going to use to upgrade my car and keep it stock.

Basically earthquake helped make the BMW subs. They are a drop in fit and there are a couple of ways to to solve the clearance issue. You can either break off a couple of the tabs at the bottom of the enclosure or use some sort of spacer between the speaker and the enclosure.

The best method that I gleaned from these threads was to break off the tabs on the bottom and then use a foam gasket to provide a tight seal. See this thread on page 2.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=earthquake

some other good ones for reading that I found helpful

earthquake helps design BWM sub
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=earthquake

step by step install with pics of sub/amp
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134066
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey bye bye GTI, thanks for sharing the links on the Earthquakes. Very, very interesting reading and some great creative solutions.

I'm keeping this for future reference in case I decide to replace the factory subs later on. A quality aftermarket product most certainly will improve the overall system. Right now, however, I'm just going to enjoy the newfound sound coming from the current subs. I get a kick just listening to them as I can't believe this sudden transformation.

Thanks again for the links!
      07-28-2008, 01:35 AM   #5
Endre
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 3.2 (321hp)

Garage List
2008 E82 120d  [10.00]
Thanks for writeup! Im also going to upgrade my stereo now.

As i have witten before im going to use this:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19323
This is plug and play with harness for the e87/e90.
Logic 7 tweeters and midbas is ordered, and earthquake woofers will be ordered later.
120d, M-sport, H&R springs,Remus Exhaust, 135I kidneys, 18"BMW performance with Toyo T1R.(summer) 17" style 207 with Michelin Xice(winter), 17" M3 replica with Toyo R888 (Track), Hardwired H/K GPS 810. SOLD! Now driving E36 M3 3.2 (321Hp)
Track and Autox
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
Temple
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa128 View Post
Just thought I should followup my post on some issues that came up during my speakers and amp upgrade last week. I brought the car back yesterday to Jeremy, my installer. Here were the issues and solutions.

Issue 1 - Insert key fob into ignition and only the factory amp turns on. The Zapco amp would turn on only after pressing the start/stop button. Some mentioned about a little black wire that leads to the factory amp's remote turn-on. Jeremy had already tapped into that last week during the initial installation. Apparently, there needed to be a second signal source.
Solution 1 - Jeremy did a second tap from a factory speaker to the Zapco amp and in essence built a remote turn-on adapter around it. This is my understanding...the radio is an accessory just like the lights in the car. The interior lights turn on when you open the door without inserting the key into the ignition. The signal for the interior accessories to "come alive" also feeds the factory amp and down the line to the speakers. I'm not an electronics expert and I don't know if it makes sense but it works! Both the factory and Zapco amps now fire up at the same time.

Issue 2 - Zapco amp was excessively amplifying the door and seatbelt chimes. Volume was very loud and couldn't be controlled with the radio's volume knob. The operator manual for the radio states that there is a volume adjustment within the audio functions menu. I tried that...it doesn't work. There was another thread that addressed the chime issue and everyone who replied also said it didn't work.
Solution 2 - Simple enough...lower the gain on the new amp. I was afraid of losing sound quality. Only a slight adjustment was needed. Quality was not lost. Chimes are now just a tad below their original volumes...very nice. Bluetooth volume which I thought was also an issue is really not since it is controlled via the radio volume knob.

Issue 3 - During the week after the install I experienced some dropoff at the low end. This was common according to Scott my audio consultant.
Solution 3 - Adjust the bass gain on the amp while experimenting with different crossover points. AMAZING! The bass is even better than last week! The Zapco amp powers the factory subs. Now I know that there are much better aftermarket subs. Also, the sound quality may not measure up to audiophile standards. But folks, who would have thought that factory subs could thump. Let me tell you...these BMW subs can THUMP!! My bass control knob is set at level 3 and I can still be heard outside of the car. Scott and Jeremy brought out the best that the factory subs can be. What a transformation!

Issue 4 - No suitable 8" aftermarket woofers to fit under the seats. Some suggested Earthquake sws8. Scott was well aware of the Earthquake's availability but did not suggest it. Here is the reason. Although the Earthquake fits the mounting bracket and clears the mounting depth requirement, the problem is the amount of excursion travel (I think that's what he called it). Even though the sub is 8", the hole cutout in the carpet beneath the speaker grille is only 5". That means there is a layer of carpet partially covering the speaker cone. As the cone travels up and down moving air, there is a chance that the cone can touch the underside of the carpet causing a splatting sound. He couldn't tell for sure because the clearance was that tight. Taking the conservative approach he suggested other alternatives. I'm glad he did. I would have done the same. He could have probably cut the carpet but I requested at the start that no cutting or hole punching be done. There must be a reason for the carpet overlap.
Solution 4 - See solution 3 above.

My audio setup is:
- 4" MB Quart with separate matching tweeters powered by Zapco i-Force 450 amp,
- Factory subs powered by the Zapco amp
- Factory rear speakers powered by factory amp

Everything worked out well. I am very happy and grateful to those two problem solving pros, Scott and Jeremy at Speakerlab in Seattle. They made my audio system ROCK!!!
Do you mind if I ask how much it cost you? I am in the Seattle area and thinking about doing an upgrade to my non premium stereo also.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Temple - I sent you a PM.
      08-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

thanks for the info. subscribed to show my installer.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

looks like the ppl that went with the earthquakes on e90post are experiencing a little bit of vibration and rattling on the side skirts.
Appreciate 0