BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #23
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Some caveats:
- A dog over 10 lbs is enough to set off the seatbelt warning in the front seat
- An airbag deploy can severely injure a dog
- I'm guessing you'll keep them in the back seat
      10-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #24
jmexx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Who said anything about the front seat? My dog can not fit in the front seats. The issue was the one seat in the back is too small for him. It needs to be leveled.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #25
bubble
I am the Stig.
Rep
Drives:

My thought was to keep the back seat down so the dogs would have a flat surface to stand on (meaning the back side of the rear seat). Not to mention, protecting the leather. However, before I go on any long trips or jaunts around town, I'll give it a shot around the neighborhood. It could be that a blanket is the safest choice. Again, to clarify, it is my thought. The seats might not even be that flat when they are down.

I don't have what I call "frisbee dogs" - those cool dogs that go everywhere with you, run free and always come back, and of course catch the frisbee. Mine just like chilling at the house, laying on the sofa and the occasional trip to the dog park. So, spending as little money as possible is my goal - that, following doggie safety.

Mine are pictured in my avatar. Two Scottish Terriers that live up to the breed. Hunting backyard pests and napping, then hunting backyard pests some more.
      10-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #26
balaroue
Private
Rep
Drives:

About leveling the back seat, that's what I meant about the plastic in the middle. My lab is too big for one seat as well and would end up, in part, on the plastic. The covers padding seemed to solve the issue. He was always moving back there prior to the cover, now he lays across.

About folding the rears down... I tried that first. It was flat enough. I folded them down & let him in, but he slid all over the place with normal driving. Then I bought a 4x6 carpet for $10 and layed it over the seat backs and trunk floor. Not my best idea. Too many issues to type. Forget it.

Laying a blanket may be ok for very short trips, but at a sudden stop, the blanket (and the dog) slide forward off the seat. Not the safest way to travel.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #27
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_TT View Post
The way my 135i will be is my Sig. and here's my pup!

so adorable! I doubt he/she'd have any trouble getting into a 1er at all >_< Can you even see it if someone was outside the car? O_O
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #28
4wheelcycle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 X2 M Sport

I previously had a car with drop down rear seats like the 135i. I just put the seats down, let my dog jump in through the open trunk, and tied her leash near the back of the trunk so she had room to move about but could not jump into the front seats.

It worked fine and she was very happy!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #29
Boneman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i alpine white on black

Garage List
2014 m235i  [9.00]
2014 m235i  [0.00]
www.petedge.com has several solutions for this. I have a cashmire silver convertible and I got the brown seat cover, looks nice and keeps things clean. Sells for 26.00$
Appreciate 0