BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

My cranky car

I learned last night that when the car wants something, it can be like an annoying little sibling.

First, the recent cold snap we've had has changed the pressure in my tires enough that the low pressure warning has been going off (before the cold weather, I noticed it was sensitive to just a couple PSI). I've had a few really packed days, so I haven't had a chance to top them off yet (plan to do that tomorrow). So the tire light flashed at me constantly.

Then last night, when I was rushing to get somewhere, the gas tank level dropped below that threshold, so then the tire warning was alternating with the refuel warning.

Finally, it was getting dark and the temperature dropped and then the snowflake warning appeared.

I had several stops to make last night before I got to the good gas stations ($2.71 for 93 last night!) and so I had the warning trio several times. And, I did get it down to an estimation of 0 miles left in the tank. When I filled it, I got 13.1 gal into it. Last night was really out of the ordinary - I was running late all over the place and had to park in downtown Boston. I didn't even pass expensive gas stations to put in a gallon to tide me over.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Juan's1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM E82

Doesn't really bother me as I view it in a positive light - it shows that the warning systems are working as intended I've experienced all three warning messages btw, but not all at once.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
it even starts to celebrate Christmas early, just like the stores to LOL
      10-31-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
LOL at warning trio gongs.
      10-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
First, the recent cold snap we've had has changed the pressure in my tires enough that the low pressure warning has been going off (before the cold weather, I noticed it was sensitive to just a couple PSI). I've had a few really packed days, so I haven't had a chance to top them off yet (plan to do that tomorrow). So the tire light flashed at me constantly.
amy!
My wife's 328Xi did the same thing yesterday. The tire pressure was down to 28 PSI when cold.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I've had two warnings going at one time, but never 3. Right now I've got low washer fluid.

I'm heading up to the mountains this weekend. I think I'm going to run the car low on fuel, let some air out of the tires, and stay out late enough for the temperature to drop to see if I can get four at one time and claim the gong record!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
EarlArlington
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I've had two warnings going at one time, but never 3. Right now I've got low washer fluid.

I'm heading up to the mountains this weekend. I think I'm going to run the car low on fuel, let some air out of the tires, and stay out late enough for the temperature to drop to see if I can get four at one time and claim the gong record!
lol
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

If you have the tires filled with nitrogen doesn't that cut down on the pressure changes?
      11-01-2008, 04:43 AM   #9
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady1984 View Post
If you have the tires filled with nitrogen doesn't that cut down on the pressure changes?

Sadly that option is only available to Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica. Just imagine all the warning gongs they must get!

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 05:39 AM   #10
Justabanana
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: 123d ///M-Sport

Exactly how is a car that's warning systems are operating like they should - cranky?

Where I live, low tire pressure is the n 1 technical problem in a car causing (or constituting in) fatal accidents... so I'd say it's pretty important to keep the pressures at normal levels. If you run out of fuel, it's a huge annoyance and may break components of the injection system. Maybe it's better the car warns you before you have to tow it to the shop? And anyone who lives in cold climates knows how fast the temperature may drop and change driving conditions. No dtc can exeed the laws of physics. A little warning gong is about the smallest annoyance compared to wrecking the car and injuring yourself...

Not to be too much sober-sides here - a laser show like that can be quite hilarious. Especially when you got some friends on board. "I think I'll just walk home, your shiny new car seems to be breaking apart" xD

123d ///M-Sport Coupé (& e21 318)
Alpine White: Because originality is overrated.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #11
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Not significantly enough to make it worthwhile. Air is 79% nitrogen anyway.

The heat capacity of both O2 and N2 are essentially the same, O2 is actually a bit higher. This means that for a given amount of heat input, the temperature will increase less (in reality they are too close to matter).

By putting in pure N2, you are actually giving a larger concentration gradient for diffusion out of the tire than with pure air. Nitrogen is a smaller and lighter molecule, which is all else is equal means its diffusivity will be less than O2 in air (this may not be true for diffusion through rubber). Diffusivity is a measure of how easily a molecule moves through a medium (air, rubber, metal, whatever).

There are more complex issues at hand too (because of the increased pressure), but I can't imagine any that would give nitrogen a significant benefit over just air in a normal car.

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #12
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabanana View Post
Exactly how is a car that's warning systems are operating like they should - cranky?
Well, my post was sort of tongue in cheek. But.

It's "cranky" because I noticed the warning the first time it happened, was aware of the problem, and had a plan for fixing it. At least it doesn't keep chiming, but actually, having the two symbols (gas and tire) flash back and forth on the dash is, IMHO, a worse safety hazard -- it's in my peripheral vision and so I keep getting distracted each time it changes. There's no way to acknowledge the them and make them go away for a while.

And, unless one tire has a visible problem having one or two (or 4 of them) be down 1-2 PSI is not a safety hazard IMHO. Which is all that warning is telling me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabanana View Post
Not to be too much sober-sides here - a laser show like that can be quite hilarious. Especially when you got some friends on board. "I think I'll just walk home, your shiny new car seems to be breaking apart" xD
It's a sound and light show!

amy!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #13
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post

Uh-oh! No way! You do that, and I'll have to put my laptop on the passenger seat to get the seatbelt warning to go off!

amy!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Quote:
It should, so I was told... a few local shops here offer it for $10 per tire... will remove air, and put in nitrogen, then replace the cap with a green one. I didn't ask them about the cap, plastic or metal... LOL

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #15
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmasterx View Post
Not significantly enough to make it worthwhile. Air is 79% nitrogen anyway.

The heat capacity of both O2 and N2 are essentially the same, O2 is actually a bit higher. This means that for a given amount of heat input, the temperature will increase less (in reality they are too close to matter).

By putting in pure N2, you are actually giving a larger concentration gradient for diffusion out of the tire than with pure air. Nitrogen is a smaller and lighter molecule, which is all else is equal means its diffusivity will be less than O2 in air (this may not be true for diffusion through rubber). Diffusivity is a measure of how easily a molecule moves through a medium (air, rubber, metal, whatever).

There are more complex issues at hand too (because of the increased pressure), but I can't imagine any that would give nitrogen a significant benefit over just air in a normal car.
Apparently it is the water content in the air that creates all the funkiness with pressure variations. That's just what I've heard, and it kinda makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #16
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Perillie tire shop over here in Saudi offers N2 for tires , according to them it would be constant over different temperatures, and something about it not leaking from the tire overtime like normal air does, I guess they are taling about molecules penetrating rubber .
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #17
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
Uh-oh! No way! You do that, and I'll have to put my laptop on the passenger seat to get the seatbelt warning to go off!

amy!

I could have beaten that this weekend. On top of everything else I needed a quart of oil. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #18
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
It should, so I was told... a few local shops here offer it for $10 per tire... will remove air, and put in nitrogen, then replace the cap with a green one. I didn't ask them about the cap, plastic or metal... LOL

EspressoBoy

The nitrogen fills are marketing BS when it comes to street cars. The difference in pressure changes are going to be measured in tenths (maybe even hundreths) of a PSI.

There are a ton of articles about this floating around the internet, with the exact calculations based on various humidity in the compressed air.

A shop using a decent air compressor system is going to have a dryer on the line to get rid of moisture anyway. The nitrogen is just another way for them to make money off people who don't know any better. Your $10 basically buys you a green cap that means nothing.
Appreciate 0