BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
bimmergasm
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Picking up my 128i in a couple days!!!

I'm new to this site and am a 1 addict ever since I test drove it! I ordered a 128i Jet Black with all the options but the Hi-Fi system back in mid-September. I was told I should expect delivery between 3rd or 4th week of November but I just got the call today and my lil 1er is here and waiting to be picked up in a couple days!!!

I asked my CA to go ahead and do window tinting on the car but I am a little hesitant about it. I always wanted to get window tinting on my previous car but never went ahead with it because I thought the film might come lose off the glass or some crap.

So does anyone here have window tinting on their car? Are you happy with it or have you run into trouble with it?

Other than that, can't wait to get into my car and rack up the miles!:thumbup: So happy about "Year One of the 1" on the start button and getting the new iDrive!!! :wink:
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

bimmerboy27,

Wow, your first post!

Welcome to the site!!!! Lots to read!

I highly suggest you use the search botton for the first few days. There is sooo much info here it's not funny... From online manuals, to tips on how to clean the car, to other people's experience with tint, what kind, etc etc etc... Oh and lets not forget huge check list to bring when you pick up the car...

Hope that helps.

If you are getting NAV, you can even watch DVD's when the car is still.

Enjoy,

EspressoBoy

PS
My tint went perfectly, got ceramic and at the dealership. I also got 3M Stoneguard clearbra and it didn't go so well. Actually it was a disaster. I still avoid the dealership partly because of the way they treated me. So again, lots to read. Each dealership/person is different, so your experience may vary. I will never get that at the dealership again though. I think they can't handle it. If anything goes wrong, who looks after you? Ask them if you get a problem with the tint, does the Service Dept look after you? In the end, they probably have a 3rd party person come in like once a week. You have no idea who they are etc. Anyway, hope that helps. Again my tint is awesome but the clearbra ... I don't even want to talk about it. (I can live with the product, but the ppl involved ahhhhh!) Oh and remember that is just me. Not every1 is as picky as me.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

congrats!

Any quality tint job should not give you problems. Mine still looks flawless after 2 years. No peeling, bubbling, etc. The dealership prob warranties it anyway.
      11-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Yes but will they make you jump through how many hoops? I would say that if the Service dept looks after it, it's a much better picture. If it's the finance guy who calls the 3rd party in etc... oh oh... not so rosey... my opinion.

EspressoBoy

PS
SA are trained in this area, so I think you stand a better chance of getting after sales service... not the guy who is thinking only his little commission (at least that is how I was treated.)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
bimmergasm
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have been reading all through the different posts for the past two months. Just never became a member till I was sure my car was here! - I don't know why!?!:wub:

Are you sure I can watch DVD's in the new hard drive based navi? I thought that was something I had to give up for the new iDrive. Also, what's the ceramic tint?

I just called and made sure I got the 35% tint. What do you guys think about that? Too dark?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

:thumbup: BMW Whore :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

I don't mean to be rude, but this was said to me... and my life changed, search really is your best friend here!

I think it was my 3rd post...ok so you 1 up me...

You see the "search" on the top of the tool bar. I highly suggest you key in things like "ceramic tint", "09 DVD" or even just click on my alias and see my posts. I just confirmed it 2 days ago with someone who went and tried it...

Lots of things here to click on... the more you learn now the sooner you will be a 1addict with a 1... which is just shy of being a 1addict without being with your new 1...

BTW have you picked out a name yet?
My original name was "Helga" a good solid name German...but have changed it to "Hannah" also nice...

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Welcome bimmerboy. I have owned my 128i for two months and every damned day I marvel at how much fun it is to drive. It'll make you very happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

do a search -- i did a post on this issue -- i posted before and after pictures of my car. i did 35% metallic...simply because of the hot florida summer sun -- i hate the way tinted windows look, but i got to the point where i had to do it. 35% keeps the car a lot cooler

bottom line -- don't go too dark -- looks ghetto.
Appreciate 0