BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #67
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
To my surprise I found out the Corvette is only 2.4" longer and 3.8" wider with a wheel base that is 1" longer. Very deceiving since the Vette looks quite a lot bigger. Maybe because the 135 is almost 6 1/2" taller it looks shorter.
inches dont seem like much, but they feel BIG Driving them

and that is what matters, to me anyway
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #68
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post

The thing that keeps me looking at the 135 is that its better built, has nicer features and good safety, and no problems with servicing for at least 4 years. I was watching jeremyc74's adaptive headlights video on youtube and i just love hearing the engine.

Check out the version on Vimeo. Turn on HD if you've got a good internet connection and it's much better quality than Youtube. That video was made in 16:9 and Youtube squashed it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #69
Ron H
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
inches dont seem like much, but they feel BIG Driving them

and that is what matters, to me anyway
I agree, it does feel larger when driving it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #70
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Sure the Corvette is a nice car but how many other nice cars does Chevrolet make? When I do business with a company I make sure the company is sound as a first step. Below are some comparisons I came up with that would help me make a decision:
CHEVROLET
· Chevrolet is in finical wows. They will remain in business but IMO do I really want to buy a product from a company that can not make a profit? Who knows what else they are doing wrong we do not know about yet. Would you pay to have a house built by a builder that has not made a profit in years and is on the edge of Bankruptcy?
· Chevrolet buys cars from other overseas manufactures and sticks the Bow tie on it. Again, not my kind of car company.
· They make a couple of cars that are performance oriented but the rest are just basic transportation.
· A majority of the people on the corvette forum are “buy American” and most likely think an American brand car is made in USA and foreign brand car maker is made overseas so they are buying US made which is a big mistake. I believe in competition that gets us better cars by companies competing to make a better product. If we were all buy American just think how crappy our cars would be with no competition.
· The resale on American cars is terrible.
· The cost of ownership is higher than BMW.

BMW
· BMW makes all there cars with performance and luxury in mind.
· Most BMW’s win awards and are the benchmark for other auto manufactures.
· Repairs are expensive on BMW’s. However, I only have to buy tires and gas the first four years.
· BMW is making a profit.
· BMW keeps there car companies separate and do not buy a car from another manufacture and put the badge on it.

What I have found is I will buy BMW products since across the line they have excellent quality in build and performance. Sure a car company can make one car nice but what impresses me about the BMW is I would be satisfied driving any car in there lineup, not so with Chevrolet. And as many have said, If I was in the market for a 2 seat sports car I would not be shopping for a 135i and vice versa.

Feel free to add to either or both lists so we make a decision based on logic and not emotions.
      10-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #71
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
And as many have said, If I was in the market for a 2 seat sports car I would not be shopping for a 135i and vice versa.

What's logical about that? The back seat in the 135i is all but useless for adults. Anyone who's planning on having passengers very often shouldn't be considering it.

I simply can not understand why people think performance cars are cross shopped by a strict catagory such as that. It's just not the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #72
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

OP, would you find it interesting if you could chop $5k off the price of the 135i? At the same time, would you be interested in picking it up in an awesome facility in Munich Germany, driving the snot off of it on the Autobahn, perhaps doing a few laps on the famous Nurburgring?

If so, then please check out the European Delivery option... lots of info if you search a little.

Personally I absolutely need the 3rd seat in the car, so it's a 135/335 for me. But if I were in my early twenties with a $45k cash wad burning a hole in my pocket, I'd get something truly exotic and incredibly handling - the Lotus Elise. (Perhaps the new supercharged model).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #73
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Personally I absolutely need the 3rd seat in the car, so it's a 135/335 for me. But if I were in my early twenties with a $45k cash wad burning a hole in my pocket, I'd get something truly exotic and incredibly handling - the Lotus Elise. (Perhaps the new supercharged model).

I had the same thought about the Elise, and tried it. I just couldn't live with it as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #74
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I had the same thought about the Elise, and tried it. I just couldn't live with it as a daily driver.
I've lived with far worse things in my twenties... :wink:

Besides, any girl that would repeatedly go out with you in that thing would be either one with an unusual taste for physical punishment, or one that likes you a lot. Either way, a keeper.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #75
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
OP, would you find it interesting if you could chop $5k off the price of the 135i? At the same time, would you be interested in picking it up in an awesome facility in Munich Germany, driving the snot off of it on the Autobahn, perhaps doing a few laps on the famous Nurburgring?

If so, then please check out the European Delivery option... lots of info if you search a little.

Hahaha, you're killing me. I like your thinking on the Elise.

ED is something i have been considering, but isn't it true that any cost benefit from the purchase price will be translated into hotels+food+gas in Europe? I backpacked through Europe 2 summers ago so i can understand the excitement behind ED.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #76
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Quote:
Sure the Corvette is a nice car but how many other nice cars does Chevrolet make? When I do business with a company I make sure the company is sound as a first step. Below are some comparisons I came up with that would help me make a decision:
CHEVROLET
· Chevrolet is in finical wows. They will remain in business but IMO do I really want to buy a product from a company that can not make a profit? Who knows what else they are doing wrong we do not know about yet. Would you pay to have a house built by a builder that has not made a profit in years and is on the edge of Bankruptcy?
· Chevrolet buys cars from other overseas manufactures and sticks the Bow tie on it. Again, not my kind of car company.
· They make a couple of cars that are performance oriented but the rest are just basic transportation.
· A majority of the people on the corvette forum are “buy American” and most likely think an American brand car is made in USA and foreign brand car maker is made overseas so they are buying US made which is a big mistake. I believe in competition that gets us better cars by companies competing to make a better product. If we were all buy American just think how crappy our cars would be with no competition.
· The resale on American cars is terrible.
· The cost of ownership is higher than BMW.

BMW
· BMW makes all there cars with performance and luxury in mind.
· Most BMW’s win awards and are the benchmark for other auto manufactures.
· Repairs are expensive on BMW’s. However, I only have to buy tires and gas the first four years.
· BMW is making a profit.
· BMW keeps there car companies separate and do not buy a car from another manufacture and put the badge on it.

What I have found is I will buy BMW products since across the line they have excellent quality in build and performance. Sure a car company can make one car nice but what impresses me about the BMW is I would be satisfied driving any car in there lineup, not so with Chevrolet. And as many have said, If I was in the market for a 2 seat sports car I would not be shopping for a 135i and vice versa.

Feel free to add to either or both lists so we make a decision based on logic and not emotions.
You bring up some good points. Its true that the vette is really the only Chevy i can see myself driving. Like i said, im leaning towards the BMWs this week:wink:
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #77
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Check out the version on Vimeo. Turn on HD if you've got a good internet connection and it's much better quality than Youtube. That video was made in 16:9 and Youtube squashed it.
Will do. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #78
AZ135
REALTOR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jag XF Supercharged

Quote:
Sure the Corvette is a nice car but how many other nice cars does Chevrolet make?... They (Chevy) make a couple of cars that are performance oriented but the rest are just basic transportation.
He's not thinking about buying some sort of magical index of Chevy cars... just the corvette, which is a performance model--more performance than most BMW's for that matter. Does the Nissan GT-R also suck because Nissan makes some economy cars that are just for transportation?

Quote:
Most BMW’s win awards and are the benchmark for other auto manufacturers.
I think the vette has won a few awards in its day.

I'm not saying the vette is better (to each his own), but the BMW isn't better just because it's a bimmer. That's the kind of stuff that makes me wish I had the same car with some other badge on it so that people don't think I bought the 1 instead something else because BMW is somehow supreme to other car companies (usually Infititi... since they put up the greatest competition in the form of the G).
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #79
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Just FYI, I've got catless downpipes on my car. It didn't sound exactly like that stock.

I was also holding back quiet a bit because I was planning on posting the link here and didn't want to be completely busting the speed limit. :thumbup:

(I grew up on that road and can bring a car up it MUCH faster than what's show in that video)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #80
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Vette in its day is correct. The key point - in it's day - really meaning GM, in it's day. There is no way I could buy from GM/Chrysler in the state of their financial turmoil. This, IMHO, will impact resale down the road.

Its sorta like buying a SUV now, yes you will save a few bucks now with the deep discounts, but, at resale that nice smaller v8 , will still take a hit years from now...

the 135i will still have much appeal in the future aka more value.

excuse me as I step down...
      10-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #81
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ED is something i have been considering, but isn't it true that any cost benefit from the purchase price will be translated into hotels+food+gas in Europe? I backpacked through Europe 2 summers ago so i can understand the excitement behind ED.
You can look at it in several different ways:
1. Go for the savings, nothing else matters. Fly Sunday out, arrive Monday morning, pick up the car, drive it to the drop off location (10 miles away), fly back home. Total cost, one airplane ticket - and if you pick a low season, it can be cheap.

2. Go fo the experience, the wilder the better. Take off two weeks and really have at it, driving the car all over Europe, enjoying the geography, food and night life on the way. Heck, Lufthansa will even give you one free ticket should you have a companion in mind (buy one, get one free essentially). In this mode, the $5k savings from the ED program will fly out the window, and then some. But you end up with the mother of all vacations and unforgettable memories.

3. Somewhere in between. Go for one week, pick your destinations carefully, and you should be able to contain the cost within the ED savings. Again, use the Lufthansa 2-4-1 deal if you have a companion.

Most people go for option 3 and have an amazing time. Yes you essentially pay sticker for the car, but you get a free vacation at BMW's expense and the experience of driving your bimmer through steep Alpine passes, limitless stretches of the Autobahn or the Nurburgring is absolutely mindblowing.

There are a few great posts here on this - check them out. And a full ED forum over at bimmerfest, filled with all kinds of useful information. My own account of my last ED can be found here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212244

Especially now with the weaker Euro, (which could get even weaker), it should be worthwhile.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #82
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

It would seem like it should be between the Z4M and the Vette rather than the 135. Can you still get Z4M's for $45K?
      10-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #83
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
It would seem like it should be between the Z4M and the Vette rather than the 135. Can you still get Z4M's for $45K?
lol.... Z4M's can be had for 38k out the door right now!

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #84
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ135 View Post
He's not thinking about buying some sort of magical index of Chevy cars... just the corvette, which is a performance model--more performance than most BMW's for that matter. Does the Nissan GT-R also suck because Nissan makes some economy cars that are just for transportation?
So these companies build a few good cars, Again most of the BMW models are being followed by other car companies trying to make their cars as good as BMW. They even say so in their ads comparing their car to BMW models.

Quote:
I think the vette has won a few awards in its day.
Again, one car in Chevys lineup wins awards.

Quote:
I'm not saying the vette is better (to each his own), but the BMW isn't better just because it's a bimmer. That's the kind of stuff that makes me wish I had the same car with some other badge on it so that people don't think I bought the 1 instead something else because BMW is somehow supreme to other car companies (usually Infititi... since they put up the greatest competition in the form of the G).
And you are right, BMW is not better just because it’s a Bimmer, it better because they take the time to design performance and quality in every product they sell, that is really what makes them better. read about how BMW operates and read about how Chevy operates and you will see what I mean. BMW is wining almost every game and making a profit. Chevy is wining one or two and going broke while doing it. Now when you route for the Sharks do you want them to win every game or can you get by with a few wins and be happy. I just go for quality products and BMW builds quality into there whole product line. If Chevy took the time to design quality into there cars I would be buying Chevys.
      10-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #85
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Again, one car in Chevys lineup wins awards.
I guess you missed out on the Solstice GXP trouncing its autocross class, or the Cobalt SS mopping the floor with everything even close to it's price (including the 135i and Evo sadly enough) in the last few road tests, or the CTS-V outgunning the M5.

But all that really doesn't matter, because the Corvette is the car he's considering.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #86
QJS
St8rin' Thru My Rear View
Rep
Drives:

The guys summed it up.

The 1er will be more livable than the Vette.
      10-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #87
Neo187H
Private
Rep
Drives:

Do you really want to get in a pissing match about awards between BMW and a Vette? Here is a list published a solid year ago listing just the awards for the c6 vette...

o Vehicle Satisfaction Award – Sports Car; AutoPacific; 2006 MY
o 10 Best Cars 2006 – Best Performance Car; Car and Driver; 2006 MY
o 10 Best Cars 2007 – Best Performance Car; Car and Driver; 2007 MY
o Best Buys – Vehicles to Enjoy; Chicago Tribune; 2006 MY
o Best Buys – Sports Cars; Consumer’s Digest; 2007 MY
o Best Buy for 2007 – Premium Sporty/Performance Car; Consumer Guide; 2007 MY
o Most Satisfying Vehicles for 2007; Consumer Reports; 2007 MY
o Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles – Coupe under $45,000 & Top Convertible Under $45,000; Edmunds.com; 2006 MY
o Editors' Most Wanted Vehicles – Coupe under $45,000; Edmunds.com; 2006 MY
o Ten Most Awesome Autos – Under $50,000; Esquire; 2006
o Sports Cars We Recommend – Best Mid-Range; Forbesautos.com; 2006 MY
o Sports Cars We Recommend – Best Value; Forbesautos.com; 2006 MY
o AutoFOCUS Award – Sports/Performance; InFOCUS magazine; 2007 MY
o Best Value of the Year – Sports Car; IntelliChoice (at the Chicago Auto Show); 2006 MY
o Initial Quality Study – Premium Sporty Car; J.D. Power; 2006 MY
o Best Resale Value – Top 10 Models; Kelley Blue Book; 2006
o Best in Class – Sports Cars; Kiplinger's Personal Finance; 2007 MY
o Best Cars 2006 – Best Sports-Car Value; Money magazine; 2006
o 5-Star "Drive Before You Die" Rating; Motor Trend; 2007 MY
o America's 100 Best – Ride of Your Life; Reader's Digest; 2006 MY
o Best of the Best – Sports Car; Robb Report; 2006 MY
o 2006 Total Quality Award – Small Specialty Over $25,000; Strategic Vision; 2006 MY
o Total Value Award – Small Specialty over $25,000; Strategic Vision; 2007 MY
o Best Value in America – Sports Cars over $37,500; Vincentric; 2006 MY
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #88
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

anyone that's driven both knows they are pretty close in performance, but they do drive and feel like completely different cars

so for the love of god go test drive them and report back what you like/dislike about them
Appreciate 0