BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
IMASINNER
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey 135i DCT w/M

Need help with a decision

So I have been stalking you 1addicts (and you ARE addicts) for months now everyday, gleaming info. for when I pull the trigger on a 135. Performance mods, interior mods, colors, wheels, etc, etc, etc. I have the whole thing worked out in my head from top to bottom.

I think I have only made "one" post before.

I need your help with a decison i am looking at. The 135 is the car for me. No doubt, but with the recent economic situation, I am looking to save some money (prolly just going to go into more mods, LOL)

A fully loaded 135 here is Canada is gonna run me 51K - 54k. But at one othe dealerships here in calgary they have a red 2003 M3 with only 55,000 KM (not miles, guys) for $41,900.

Also, I have been looking at the Mini dealer here and I can order a 2009 JCW fully loaded for $43,000.

What do i do? What are your thoughts on the cars I have to choose from? I would like to hear your pros and cons on everything. grasshopper needs some guidance.

the link to the M3 http://listings.boostmotorgroup.com/...=0&RowNumber=1
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
jmexx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I'm going to be honest with you, I was in the exact same boat.

Not long ago I had the chance to buy an R32 from the states (I was a hardcore VW fan for a few years) and decided to pass. Then a friend of mine bought a 03 M3 and I fell in love. He had about 60k KM on it... before his tranny exploded lol... He was just off the warranty and is definitely not happy...

Not to say they're bad cars but it did scare me. Then I test drove the 135i (originally looking for a 128i telling myself I don't care for performance anymore) and was in complete awe. Even in comparison to the M3, I enjoyed my test drive of the 135i much more. I got a deal since it was a demo but I'm paying about what you are tax in.

The mini makes me look like a monster when I sit in it and wasn't as comfortable, that was an easy "no" for me.

Seriously, 135i it...

PS - Everyone's buying those M3s now-a-days, worst case you can probably find a better deal down the line, I know my friend didn't pay that much.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

Well, your market might be different in Calgary than Toronto, but the 135 is five years newer than the M3, and it has full warranty and approximately equal performance. The M3 is arguably more exclusive, but I'm betting genuine M-parts are somewhat more expensive than "plain" BMW parts.

If you can find a new '08 135i, you can get a decent deal on them now and bring a loaded one in well under $50K. At least you can here - not sure if the Calgary economy is still over-heated (one of my friends there was looking for an X5 earlier this year and couldn't get them to budge off sticker, but the economy is much different now).

The JCW is has front-drive handling, a much rougher ride and relatively little torque. Make sure you give one a nice, long test drive before you settle on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
IMASINNER
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmexx View Post
I'm going to be honest with you, I was in the exact same boat.

Not long ago I had the chance to buy an R32 from the states (I was a hardcore VW fan for a few years) and decided to pass. Then a friend of mine bought a 03 M3 and I fell in love. He had about 60k KM on it... before his tranny exploded lol... He was just off the warranty and is definitely not happy...

Not to say they're bad cars but it did scare me. Then I test drove the 135i (originally looking for a 128i telling myself I don't care for performance anymore) and was in complete awe. Even in comparison to the M3, I enjoyed my test drive of the 135i much more. I got a deal since it was a demo but I'm paying about what you are tax in.

The mini makes me look like a monster when I sit in it and wasn't as comfortable, that was an easy "no" for me.

Seriously, 135i it...

PS - Everyone's buying those M3s now-a-days, worst case you can probably find a better deal down the line, I know my friend didn't pay that much.
the M3 is and will have some type of warranty.

most of the M3's here are above $50k for some reason when sold personally. Not many dealerships here have M3's

I have driven a CooperS a few times for a couple days and really liked it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
IMASINNER
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienDNA View Post
Well, your market might be different in Calgary than Toronto, but the 135 is five years newer than the M3, and it has full warranty and approximately equal performance. The M3 is arguably more exclusive, but I'm betting genuine M-parts are somewhat more expensive than "plain" BMW parts.

If you can find a new '08 135i, you can get a decent deal on them now and bring a loaded one in well under $50K. At least you can here - not sure if the Calgary economy is still over-heated (one of my friends there was looking for an X5 earlier this year and couldn't get them to budge off sticker, but the economy is much different now).

The JCW is has front-drive handling, a much rougher ride and relatively little torque. Make sure you give one a nice, long test drive before you settle on it.
The Calgary market is still overheated (oil country you know) but the big thing here is that all the BMW dealerships here are owned by one guy. So I have heard that service suffers and price is rarely moved a great deal. He has us over a barrel here.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Go with the m3. The 135I is soft and need modding(suspension). The m3 has an LSD and so on. People will ask me if I need them.
My answer is yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

That M has a few mods visible, are there more we cant see? I would take a close look at the mods and ask for the maintenance history. You don't want to buy someone else's problem car (I am always suspicious of modded, low-mileage cars for sale). If it checks out, and is certified... I think I would get the M. Just be aware that a modified 1 will dust you!

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Gotta admit, M3's are awesome, I think if the M3 is everything you want then good, but if there are things when you look at it that you don't want, or things that you want that aren't there, then you should consider buying new.

Now, I don't need the power, so always wanted a 128i, but what has made it most special to me is it is EXACTLY configured how I wanted it ... it's my car, and will be for much longer than any car I've ever bought off a yard.
      10-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
IMASINNER
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esses View Post
That M has a few mods visible, are there more we cant see? I would take a close look at the mods and ask for the maintenance history. You don't want to buy someone else's problem car (I am always suspicious of modded, low-mileage cars for sale). If it checks out, and is certified... I think I would get the M. Just be aware that a modified 1 will dust you!
really good advice. Do I see a BMS filter in there?? I wouldn't have even noticed. See anything else in there???

Also, couldn't you mod the M3 and have it smoke the 1??? (now I'm gonna get flamed)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASINNER View Post
really good advice. Do I see a BMS filter in there?? I wouldn't have even noticed. See anything else in there???

Also, couldn't you mod the M3 and have it smoke the 1??? (now I'm gonna get flamed)
The filter, HRE wheels aren't stock, and the exhuast looks like it could be aftermarket, it's hard to tell from the photos. Tuning the S54 isn't nearly as easy as the N64, yet a stock M3 is no slouch.

I'd go with which ever fits your driving style and needs. The M3 will be sorted from the start with better handling, bigger, grippier tires, a more aggressive suspension, a limited slip differential and a peakier engine that requires more revs and more shifting to extract the maximum performance.

The 135i will be slightly more comfortable, has runflats (good and bad, depending on your goals), a full warranty, more accessible low end torque and the ability to get more power much cheaper than the M3. Yet it would take a mountain of money to get it to handle as well as even a stock M3, you'll pay a lot for a differential and should you modify the motor with electronics, you'll run the risk of limited warranty support.

Stock for stock, if you don't plan on tracking it, this is a pretty close comparison. Bring tracking into the picture and the M3, being lighter, more powerful and having a limited slip and non-runflats will be easier to drive faster. Yet start tuning the 135i and it becomes a quicker, if not faster car. Either way, you really won't go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep
Drives: 435i

It seems to me that you have already made up your mind and are just looking for justification for your decision. If you like the M3, go ahead and get it.

If you really want my opinion, I would have to agree with esses. I wouldn't want to buy a modded car and get stuck with problems down the line. There is probably a warranty since it's a CPO car but all that means is that if it does break down on you, you will have to take it to the dealership to get repaired. I would much rather have a new car that I know the history of and will most likely be more reliable than a car that could potentially be in and out of the service bay.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #12
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

IMASINNER/grasshopper, you have said... "The 135 is the car for me." So??? just get a good deal on an 08!

And...

Nobody has yet mentioned/asked about what kind of driving you will be doing. That has a huge factor on which is best for you.

135i can be driven on/off track... a fairly good balance. But still more geared towards street roads. (yes you can change that but as it stands, oem, for street roads)

M3 is more on the track side. With mods already done, it probably has been driven on the track. I wonder are you able to see a history of the car from a mechanics persepective? With buying a second hand car, that is $$$$, I would want it to be certified true to what they say. And make sure I have my own choice of mechanic to view it. Worth a few hundred bucks I would think.

Just viewed it...nice... certified... but you just said, where you live Dealership blues... which one you think has the highest chance of being a garage queen?

Also you might want to do a search of others from your area who already have a 1. PM them about driving conditions... My guess a 135i on bad roads is going to be better than a M3? Not sure with those runflats... worth talking to local 1ers about...and what the 1 will be like locally. Remember you get included seat warmer!!! LOL

my2cents...
EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

A lot of cars are modded for show it doesnt look like a track car. All I see are shadowline trims(no real need) and HRE($) big wheels any serious track machines would have 18's to start off. Id rather buy a modded car than a car that has been leased and that the oil never got changed or changed every 24 000 km like the bmw schedule requires. The guy with the modded car will probably throw Motul or Lucas oil and dump it every 5000-6000 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
IMASINNER
Private
Canada
Rep

I have totally not made my mind up. All three are strong contenders. I'm actually interested on some feedback on the 09'JCW.

The car (whichever one it will be) will be my everyday car. I drive fast everywhere. the track here in calgary got shut down (stupid City Hall) so until there is a new one built (in the works) there won't be much track time, but I would love to in the future.

I will admit that the M3 is appealing mostly on price. But its always nice to own a bad ass car with a M3 bdge on it.

I also think the 135 is badass (especially with what I want to put on it (i'm kidding ofcourse BMW Canada!)), and looks wise there is nothing that can compare.

I really like the little 09 JCW. It's quick (from the reviews) and at the price for brand new, is a real contender.

Edit: I can't seem to getawayfrom the "single owner" BMW dealerships here. It's BMW or Mini for me.

if I was to get a 135 it would ahve to be BRAND NEW, no 08's
Appreciate 0