BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
bug and tar remover

I've tried searching this with no avail.
but i was wondering is it safe to use bug and tar remover (e.g. maguires?), and how exactly does it work...??? they dont act like a polish do they>??
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
but i was wondering is it safe to use bug and tar remover (e.g. maguires?), and how exactly does it work...??? they dont act like a polish do they>??
I absolutely hate these products, they seem to be petroleum based, and will ruin your wash mitts by gunking them up ( I learned this the hard way)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
I believe the bug and tar remover is more of a chemical type of cleaner. Some may have very fine polishing agents in them to remove the bugs/tar.

Bugs will stain the paint if allowed to remain splattered for an extended period of time.

My recommendation: get a good sealant for the front of your car and apply several coats. If its bug season where you live, then your going to have to be pro active on removing the bugs. With a good sealant the bugs/tar should come off easily.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Fairly strong chemical's in bug and tar. If you use it, just remember to follow it up with some wx! The bug and tar will strip all of the wax off the paint. You might want to try a clay bar instead. The clay bars do a good job of getting of surface contaminents. Just use lots of lube and be careful.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

the turtle wax bug and tar remover seems to be pretty good. i use it after the first wash, then i wash that specific spot again (to be sure i havent left any behind) before waxing and rewashing the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
andynj
Rep
Drives:

Wet Wipes

For bugs, lay some wet wipes on the affected panel and leave them on for about 15 mins (not in direct sunlight) then just hose the bugs off.

Get good wet wipes the ones that are really "wet"
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
thanks for the info!
i do get lots of bugs in the front as i usually drive during country areas at around dusk, but i try to rinse them off asap, but we have quite severe water restrictions here which makes it a bit tough. but my real concern are those crappy little black dots around the back bumper, theyre really hard to get off, and in the past i've only been able to get them off using maguires bug and tar remover but was unsure if i was doing any real damage or not... but i always do wax afterwards...

i've never actually used a clay bar before, as i keep reading these terrible stories of people scratching their cars... but i might give them ago if they are able to get off the little black dots of tar on the back....

andynj, interesting with the wet wipes... the soaps/other chemicals in them wont damage the paint work?

JohnL135I, could you give me an example of a good sealant for this sort of purpose?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
andynj
Rep
Drives:

Wet Wipes

Never had a problem damaging the paint, obviously don't leave them on too long and don't let them dry even then you can just wash the stuff off, after all they do go on babies butts so they can be anything bad in them...!
Appreciate 0