BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2020, 01:14 AM   #1
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 N54

BRAKE ABS DSC Lights + 2DEB = Check Battery

TLDR: See thread title.

Had the dreaded brake light trifecta (BRAKE ABS DSC) pop up in all yellow. Brakes felt wonky under light to moderate pressure, like the ABS was trying to force itself to work even when unnecessary. When lightly braking in corners, the brakes were crap, scary bad. Brought back nightmares of DSC Hydraulic Unit repair I had a couple years ago.

Scanned for codes, 1 active: 2DEB - DME: Power management, vehicle electrical system. It appears this means under or over voltage. A bad alternator, battery, or fuse are common issues.

I didn't bother testing the batt since I bought a new one just a few weeks ago, good timing. Original battery was over 11 years old, and I knew I was pressing my luck! So I hooked up the new batt, registered with MHD, and verified with INPA. No need to code since the new one has the same specs as the old. Cleared the errors and went for a 20 mile test drive with a couple stops. The dash is still warning light free, and the brakes work again!

Thought I would post this up for reference in case anyone has a similar experience. Oddly, I never had symptoms of a dying batt until the dash light trifecta. The car would crank right up, headlights were bright, electronics all good... except for the radio display pixel fade issue, but I think that's a standard feature.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0