04-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Unique 1200 Mile Service Issues

Spring has arrived in the far north, and what may be the world's farthest north 1M is nearly at 1200 miles. I have a small dilemma, and thought I would ask for fellow 1M forum members' advice.

My dealer is 400 miles away, and I cannot make the trip for a month due to my work schedule. The car is essentially at 1200 miles, but the computer has not indicated any need for service (iDrive says oil change not due until 14000 miles - did anybody else not get a service warning for the 1200 mile service?). Nonetheless, we all know 1200 mile service is advised by BMW.

If I continue to drive the car during this month, and then drive to the dealer (400 miles), the odometer will likely be around 2000 miles before the usual 1200 miles fluid changes are performed.

I could leave the car in the garage for a month, but that is cruel and unusual punishment after 5 months of being mostly garage bound during a long cold winter (and I doubt I have the will power not to drive it anyways - way too much fun!).

So I am considering just changing the fluids myself. The oil is no big deal as I do that all the time. I have 3 liters of the LT-5 manual tranny oil (thanks again ///BYU!) which I would have to change myself anyways since BMW NA doesn't direct dealers to do so.

That leaves the M diff, which shouldn't be a big deal, but if there is anything I should know beforehand, I would appreciate your advice.

Lastly, should I still make the trip at some point and have the dealer do another set of fluid changes so the BMW system records that I have done the proper maintenance on the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
Spring has arrived in the far north, and what may be the world's farthest north 1M is nearly at 1200 miles. I have a small dilemma, and thought I would ask for fellow 1M forum members' advice.

Having your first service done at 2K miles or so is not a problem. I wouldn't worry about it. Drive your car now and have it done next month. And yes, I think there have been one or two guys who did not have their car indicate a first service. But we all know it IS needed.

Changing the fluids is no big deal. You will need the correct tools, like: a good floor jack, four jack stands, 17mm ratchet/socket, 14mm hex for the diff oil plug, 8mm hex (low profile) ratchet/socket or even just a L-shaped allen "key" for the tranny fill and drain plugs, and 8mm and 10mm 1/4 sockets for the middle belly pan. And a bubble level to make sure your car is sitting level.

You should not need my suction pump - since the 1M has a real drain and fill holes on the diff pumpkin case.

I made a DIY when I did this on my 135i. Here it is... post #70...

DIY: manual transmission and diff fluid change
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=409293&page=4

Dack
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Dack,

Thanks for the reply! Your posts are always helpful, and full of useful info.

Already got the tools since I do regular maintenance on my 335xi (which has been sadly relegated to winter beater status). But it's reassuring to know that if I don't get time to do it myself, then driving down won't be a problem.

Will be in Munich the first week of June. I have book marked your awesome guide to German car museums. Unfortunately we won't have time to head north to the ring, and will also miss the Miniatur Wunderland in Hampburg.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Dack,

Thanks for the reply! Your posts are always helpful, and full of useful info.

Already got the tools since I do regular maintenance on my 335xi (which has been sadly relegated to winter beater status). But it's reassuring to know that if I don't get time to do it myself, then driving down won't be a problem.
Ok, good. I kind of thought you might have some tools handy.

Quote:
Will be in Munich the first week of June. I have book marked your awesome guide to German car museums. Unfortunately we won't have time to head north to the ring, and will also miss the Miniatur Wunderland in Hampburg.
Cool! Just let me know if you need any special tips on where to stay or visit while your there. I would highly recommend you to stop by the BMW Neiderlassung (there are three in Munchen, but bellow is teh one I would say to go too) - this is where they have sooo many Individual cars on display. I like to visit this dealer everytime I come to Munchen $ the Welt. M GmbH is just up the street from there too.

BMW Niederlassung München
Frankfurter Ring 35
80807 München

http://www.bmw-muenchen.de/de/nl_mue...b_contact.html

Dack
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

If you left your 1200 mile service until 2000 miles in the UK this will void your warranty. I would check with your BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

I picked up my 1M on 2/24 and have a little over 1800 miles on it now. Here on Guam so it's the only 1m here. According to the service indicator, it also show the first service at 14000miles. I had to inform the dealer that there is a 1200 mile service, BMW headquarters Germany confirmed this with them. Apparently there are very few M's here so they had to order the fluids which takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive. So I'm scheduled for next week service, I'm sure I'll be close to 2000 miles at that point. What I do is still keep my engine below 5000 rpm following the break in recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
If you left your 1200 mile service until 2000 miles in the UK this will void your warranty. I would check with your BMW dealership.
I had read this in one of the threads concerning the 1200 mile service, and it was one reason for my concern. I will ask the dealership if such a restriction applies to U.S. vehicles, although given the rarity of the vehicle, they may not have an answer. They certainly didn't mention anything about voiding the warranty when I took delivery (and they know I live 400 miles away).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 671rover View Post
I picked up my 1M on 2/24 and have a little over 1800 miles on it now. Here on Guam so it's the only 1m here. According to the service indicator, it also show the first service at 14000miles. I had to inform the dealer that there is a 1200 mile service, BMW headquarters Germany confirmed this with them. Apparently there are very few M's here so they had to order the fluids which takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive. So I'm scheduled for next week service, I'm sure I'll be close to 2000 miles at that point. What I do is still keep my engine below 5000 rpm following the break in recommendation.
This is good to know. Sounds like we're are in somewhat similar situations with respect to geographic isolation (although at different climate extremes).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
An update just in case there is anybody else in the U.S. who have not yet done the 1200 mile service (I'm probably the last one ). My dealer informed me there is a threshold around 1800-2000 miles which will affect your warranty. So I'm off to the dealer...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #9
BLACKM
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

just serviced the car with less than 1200 miles. it says need oil change around 800 miles. so i did it and bmw dealer says which comes first. miles or time limit.

anyway having change oil diy for a brand new M car is it avoid any warranty? just becareful before performing anything that comes with regret in future. best things to do is bring your key to nearest bmw workshop and have them read it and it will tell you when to do service.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #10
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
More follow up about this issue.

I received an unsolicited phone call today from BMW customer relations and was told having seen my posts regarding this topic (and also speaking with my SA), BMW wanted to make sure everything had been worked out to my satisfaction.

This phone call is a pretty impressive demonstration of customer service on BMW's part, and I sincerely appreciate their interest in such a low level problem.

While I am mostly impressed, I must admit the Orwellian overtone of receiving a phone call related to a presumptively anonymous internet posting (bad assumption!!) is a little unnerving. What else are they monitoring?

So BMW if you are listening (or reading) please fix my iPhone media adapter! I will be happy to exchange it at the Welt when I visit in June.

Also thanks for building such an incredible little beast. Love it!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

Just got my 1200 mile service done. I brought it in with 2066 miles, service advisor did not mention anything about my warranty being affected. Now I can open it up
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #12
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 671rover View Post
Just got my 1200 mile service done. I brought it in with 2066 miles, service advisor did not mention anything about my warranty being affected. Now I can open it up
Wait and see what they say when you want to make a claim on the warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

If you have to wait until then do not rev the engine over breakin RPM recommendations until after the diff and motor oil is replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO1MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
Wait and see what they say when you want to make a claim on the warranty
^

This. A car in the UK missed its 1200 miles service (allegedly due to BMW telling the supplying dealer no was needed at this mileag). The owner came to sell the car and the lack of 1200 miles service prompted BMW GB to refuse the car a warranty.

When it was pointed out to them that they'd told the supplying dealer no 1200 mile service was required, they capitulated and agreed to reinstate the warranty if an engine oil and filter change was carried out. However BMW GB refused point blank to warrant the differential as the oil hadn't been changed at the recommended mileage. To sidestep the issue, the dealer undertook to warrant the differential themselves (having changed the oil)
Appreciate 0