BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2014, 04:32 AM   #1
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: AW 1M (MH1 S)

Choking at low RPM

Hey guys,

My car has developed a problem and as I had no idea, I thought someone here might have some ideas. At low RPMs, (>2000), the car chokes - as if it's running out of petrol - just for a split second (sometimes repetitively). Even at idle, there are choke-like gaps in the exhaust grumble. I'm thinking its nothing severe, as mostly it runs fine. My thoughts were maybe injects, spark plugs, or fuel pump. Used that fuel injector cleaning liquid when I filled up petrol - no luck.

I have some sound coming out of the hood, almost like a whistle. By the sounds of it, I'm thinking its the dynamo. Probably needs calibration. Could the two problems be connected?

I have to honestly point out that I'm not very good at the mechanics of the car.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

How many miles? What, if any,mods?

Could be something simple like carbon build-up on the intake valves or, perhaps, worn spark plugs.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
How many miles? What, if any,mods?

Could be something simple like carbon build-up on the intake valves or, perhaps, worn spark plugs.

Neil
He has lots of stuff modded:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974858
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Milage is just 30k km, so I doubt its something major, especially since there is no power loss or anything of the sort. Just chokes at low rpms. I read about the carbon build-up being a common issue, but is that likely at this level of milage? And if so, how do I clean/get rid of it?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

Had similer case and it was damaged sparking plug changed by the dealer under warranty . Let us know what the result after getting it checked
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Are you having any starting issues?

My car is doing something similar but I am also having occasional starting delays. It will start every time but instead of firing right up the crank turns a few times before it starts. When it does its rough for a second or so then then seems to idle fine. It has never not started though and it is very random. The dealer can not replicate it so they say and no codes are being thrown. Mods for me are N55 mids, Meiserschaft axle back, AFE CAI, ER charge pipe, and Wagner intercooler. Always run 93 oct gas too. Sorry not trying to highjack your thread but the rough idle under 2k happens to me as well so I thought you might have a similar starting issue.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post

My car is doing something similar but I am also having occasional starting delays. It will start every time but instead of firing right up the crank turns a few times before it starts. When it does its rough for a second or so then then seems to idle fine. It has never not started though and it is very random. The dealer can not replicate it so they say and no codes are being thrown. Mods for me are N55 mids, Meiserschaft axle back, AFE CAI, ER charge pipe, and Wagner intercooler. Always run 93 oct gas too. Sorry not trying to highjack your thread but the rough idle under 2k happens to me as well so I thought you might have a similar starting issue.
This sounds like it could be a HPFP issue ...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

I am pretty sure it is because of the mods.
now i am starting to doubt the n54 1M's durability after modded.
I believe the s65 has better durability than this.
      04-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
Berra
Private
Rep
Drives: at warp speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
I am pretty sure it is because of the mods.
now i am starting to doubt the n54 1M's durability after modded.
I believe the s65 has better durability than this.
What makes you think that?

S65 has more serious issues then the N54, Iīm sure you know about the rod bearing problem and also a reason why many have blown motors, both stock and modded ones.

For all we know, his issue can be something simple as spark plugs or a fuel pump.

We all should be aware that more power will wear things faster, thatīs just how it is.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berra View Post

S65 has more serious issues then the N54, Iīm sure you know about the rod bearing problem and also a reason why many have blown motors, both stock and modded ones.

For all we know, his issue can be something simple as spark plugs or a fuel pump.

We all should be aware that more power will wear things faster, thatīs just how it is.
Thats precisely what I'm thinking. Just as a precaution I'll just wait till Saturday (Friday off day here) to take it to the garage. Ill post up what they say
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #11
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

In most cars one thing I'd be looking for an air leak throwing off your air / fuel ratio. Not sure if the whistle you mention could be something like that?
      04-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post

This sounds like it could be a HPFP issue ...
I don't like that answer but unfortunately that is what I was thinking as well.
I would think the dealer would have been able to check that somehow?

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berra View Post

from the experience i had with it.
I agree that more power will increase the tear and wear of an engine, also requires a more frequent maintenance needed to be done.
Check the intake box as well if it has leak, that's what the dealer mainly say about 1M's problems.
      04-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Post a log

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #15
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep

From what I gathered after the initial test drive, its an injector issue. More news soon to come.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #16
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Regarding the choking, still no update. However, some of the noise is from the diff (upgraded quaiffe diff, but still excessive noise for helical). Investigating into that. The choking first guess by the mechs is that its injectors, which they can repair rather than replace. They'll check out the HPFP just in case. Another major issue is the ECU tune - manhart didn't do a very good job. As I said in my into post, the numbers given to me were unsupported - once the diff and choking issues are done the car is going directly onto dyno, just for reference, followed by a detune to stock ecu. Now I'm thinking instead of the detune, to order Cobb, and have an etune via PTF or HPF.

Any advice as to which of the two is a better etune? or any compelling argument (other than price) to go for a JB4?
Appreciate 0