BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
ucla1995
Slow and low
Rep
Drives: M5

Any E90/92 M3 owners drive a 1M yet? Thoughts?

tia
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Yup. Swapped my M392 for an M182. I ordered the 1M when I had seen no more than pictures and the web didn't even provide soundfiles to the car. Why? Because I was sure, that the technical facts that had been published described a car that was more "me" than the M392 had ever been.

To me the M392 is an Autobahn cruiser. A pretty damn fast one. Actually the fastest one I know. Wanna spend a night driving 1.000km at an "as fast as traffic will allow" pace? Buy an M3. Nothing will beat it. The ease and security it projects at high speeds. No 911 can keep up with that kind of pace for long. The car could, the driver won't. No italian sportscar could ever drive stretches like that at those speeds without just falling apart. But Autobahn is my personal "necessary evil". I drive it because I have to. To get from A to B and it's not fun anymore. If I want to have fun, I drive the winding back roads we have here or I take a trip up to the best track in the world. And that's when the M3 quickly reaches its limits. Why? Weight and size.

And those were the primary figures I was looking at with the 1M. I compared its data to my ex-M346 (which I missed during the entire time I had the M392) and all the key figures basically matched or looked even better.

And I was right. The 1M is exactly the car I expected it to be. Actually even a little better, than I had hoped. Its sheer ruthlessness is fascinating. The speed this little beast can go through corners... breathtaking. The way it simply destroys speed, when you hit the brakes... wow. And... very few people have any idea what it is. The traffic-light-acceleration idiots leave you alone, because they don't really take the car seriously. Great. Go play with someone else! That was different with the M3. Stop a red M3 at a light on a multi-lane road here and it won't take more than 20 seconds for some dumbass to pull up next to you, give you "that" look and then he starts to rev his engine. Don't get me wrong... I'm not the type that appologizes because of the car I drive. F*** political correctness! It's just that driving to me is something I enjoy and I do it for myself and for my personal enjoyment, if I get the chance to. With one exception... during a race, when I come across opponents and not victims. Well, anyhow... the idiots leave the 1er alone too. So its just me and my car. The way I like it.

Would I trade back? NO WAY IN THE WORLD! Do I miss my M3? No. Not at all. I am happier with what I have. Will that qualify as a rule for everyone? No. Find your own profile of what exatly makes you smile while driving and if it's the sheer power of the M3, then buy that. I you are looking for true performance, if you realize that "fun is not in a straight line", then forget the M3, it will never make you happy. My personal opinion.
      05-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
ucla1995
Slow and low
Rep
Drives: M5

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Soon to be, E90M3 switch to 1M owner...but it doesn't have to be about which is better for me. I just wanted something smaller. The cars are so different, one(M3) is more refined, sexier, roomier, more luxurious, while the other(M1) is obviously smaller, lighter, more aggressive looking, it comes down to preference. As similar as the performance is in the two cars, the way they deliver it is very different too.
      05-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

emmdrei

Exactly my thoughts.

I had en E90 M3. Sold it bought a GT3.

I have a 1M on order attackting the back roads and light up that rear wheels like there is no tommorow. The 1M will be my daily drifter

The GT3 is an awesome trackweapon too but it s restrictive in its daily use and catches to much attention from people and cops. Maybe i keep it for trackweapon only.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
And... very few people have any idea what it is. The traffic-light-acceleration idiots leave you alone, because they don't really take the car seriously. Great. Go play with someone else! That was different with the M3. Stop a red M3 at a light on a multi-lane road here and it won't take more than 20 seconds for some dumbass to pull up next to you, give you "that" look and then he starts to rev his engine.
Cool, thanks for the comparison. When I picked up my 135 at BMW Welt back in '08, a guy in a Boxster S sped up and revved at me as soon as I pulled out onto the street. I hadn't even put a whole mile on the car yet and the guy was trying to challenge me.
      05-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
C'sM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xdrive wagon

I've got a 2008 e90 M3 6 speed right now. I'm getting a 1 M European Delivery in July I'm going to enjoy the 1M in Europe for 5 weeks B-) When I get back to the US I'll have a months or so to either sell the M3 or market the 1M before it arrives. I really love my M3, it's such an awesome mix of luxury and performance! And it has four doors so I can take my friends around in it easily. The one major performance mod I did was KW V3 coilovers. These made a HUGE difference in the cars handling without much compromise in ride comfort. I was really surprised at comfortable it rides! I tracked my M3 once and had an absolute blast. I even passed a GT3!!!!!!!!! However, the driver of the GT3 was an older man that was learning the car and track but it was still exhilarating to pass him My point being is, it's going to be real tough to for the 1M to impress me more than the M3 has. Plus, the exhaust note of the M3 is irreplaceable.

From what I've been reading in the reviews and on this forum I am looking forward to enjoying the 1M! I have a feeling this is going to be real tough decision I'll post my impressions and decision when I get back in August. The next couple months is going to tick by very slowly...............
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Yup. Swapped my M392 for an M182. I ordered the 1M when I had seen no more than pictures and the web didn't even provide soundfiles to the car. Why? Because I was sure, that the technical facts that had been published described a car that was more "me" than the M392 had ever been.

To me the M392 is an Autobahn cruiser. A pretty damn fast one. Actually the fastest one I know. Wanna spend a night driving 1.000km at an "as fast as traffic will allow" pace? Buy an M3. Nothing will beat it. The ease and security it projects at high speeds. No 911 can keep up with that kind of pace for long. The car could, the driver won't. No italian sportscar could ever drive stretches like that at those speeds without just falling apart. But Autobahn is my personal "necessary evil". I drive it because I have to. To get from A to B and it's not fun anymore. If I want to have fun, I drive the winding back roads we have here or I take a trip up to the best track in the world. And that's when the M3 quickly reaches its limits. Why? Weight and size.

And those were the primary figures I was looking at with the 1M. I compared its data to my ex-M346 (which I missed during the entire time I had the M392) and all the key figures basically matched or looked even better.

And I was right. The 1M is exactly the car I expected it to be. Actually even a little better, than I had hoped. Its sheer ruthlessness is fascinating. The speed this little beast can go through corners... breathtaking. The way it simply destroys speed, when you hit the brakes... wow. And... very few people have any idea what it is. The traffic-light-acceleration idiots leave you alone, because they don't really take the car seriously. Great. Go play with someone else! That was different with the M3. Stop a red M3 at a light on a multi-lane road here and it won't take more than 20 seconds for some dumbass to pull up next to you, give you "that" look and then he starts to rev his engine. Don't get me wrong... I'm not the type that appologizes because of the car I drive. F*** political correctness! It's just that driving to me is something I enjoy and I do it for myself and for my personal enjoyment, if I get the chance to. With one exception... during a race, when I come across opponents and not victims. Well, anyhow... the idiots leave the 1er alone too. So its just me and my car. The way I like it.

Would I trade back? NO WAY IN THE WORLD! Do I miss my M3? No. Not at all. I am happier with what I have. Will that qualify as a rule for everyone? No. Find your own profile of what exatly makes you smile while driving and if it's the sheer power of the M3, then buy that. I you are looking for true performance, if you realize that "fun is not in a straight line", then forget the M3, it will never make you happy. My personal opinion.

Hell to the yeah...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:

Well put.

I own a 135 and love it. When 1.5 years from now when the price of a 1M is in my range I'll get one, for now I'll roll with my 1er.
      05-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Picked mine up today and really like it!! Prefer it to my m392. Seems a fair bit quicker once you are on the go. It has fantastic handling and brakes seem very powerful. Being that bit smaller than the M3 you can really push it around corners. One word fantastic!! Even prefer it to the 911's I have owned.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

Just browsing over at the M3 forum and saw this thread http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530707

Responses are as expected LOL
      05-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossii View Post
Just browsing over at the M3 forum and saw this thread http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530707

Responses are as expected LOL
Proof is in the pudding 1M>M3 it seems. Sour grapes from the M3 crowd.
Appreciate 0